1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tampa Bay Buccaneers clamp down on their message board

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Jun 8, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Buccaneers Try to Avoid Jerramy Stevens' Criminal Record

Posted Jun 8th 2008 5:26PM by Michael David Smith

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers know their decision to sign tight end Jerramy Stevens, who has a long history of off-field problems, was not a popular decision.

The team's response? The Buccaneers Bulletin Board on the team's official web site now has a rule that fans aren't allowed to bring up this Seattle Times article about Stevens' despicable behavior when he was a football player at the University of Washington. This warning is now posted on the team's official site:

Anyone posting the article, or linking to it, will be suspended. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004147460_rbstevens270.html

That's just silly. It's certainly fine for the Buccaneers to moderate their message boards, but to simply ban linking to a newspaper article about one of the Buccaneers' players just because the article describes that player's bad actions is ridiculous.

Stevens' history of arrests for assault with a deadly weapon, marijuana possession, sexual assault and drunk driving is a completely valid subject for fans to discuss, and the Buccaneers are insulting their fans by preventing that discussion.

Wow.:no:

• Like Like x 1
  2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    It's their message board, they can do whatever they want. If I were one of the posters I would just scream "JIHAD" and post gay pr0n all over the board and get myself banned and have no regrets :yes:

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This is why it's sometimes better to be on an independent, fan supported board. IMO, it's really stupid what they're doing, because it just makes it into an even bigger issue.

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

:icon_rofl: Gay midget pron would be better!

5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    :flag:

6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Is Tampa Bay in Communist China? :icon_shrug:

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    At least they don't IP ban for LIFE for posting links to other forums. And I would bet that they treat former mods with a little more class than "other" sites. :lol:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You are not talking about L's place are you? :icon_tease:

9. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Are you talking about that **** hole otherwise known as the UT forum? I mean that in a good way though. If it wasn't for **** holes we'd be up to our nostrils in it.

10. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    As if banning discussions about Stevens' past will make it suddenly go away...I'm actually surprised he's on anyone's roster, and not because of his past, but because he really isn't that good...his biggest headlines are results of off field events, just like this one.

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    :flag:

I think it was the Dolphins site a few years ago that shut down their fan forum. Not sure if they came back or not. The Texans also had a controversial "crash" of their team owned forum which made everyone re-register.

12. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Was it because of the Ted Ginn/ Mario Williams draft picks?

13. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Pro Athlete with a criminal past??? shocking, I thought they were rolemodels for our youth???? [sarcasm on]

Well suffice to say Jeromy Stevens will not be a guest speaker at the Jr. Tampa Bay Bucs fan club meeting anytime soon!

Stan :rivers17:

14. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The Dolphins were a few years ago .....

The Texans were after the Mario/Vince/Reggie draft ... The Texans look smarter all the time for who they picked. One could argue they should have picked Vince Young, but Reggie Bush is falling farther and farther behind in that arguement.

15. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

Sure, look at all the old NY communists who make florida their gulag away from home! No wonder they have no problem with censorship!

Stan :rivers17:

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    This move suggests that even the Bucs brass thinks this was a bad move, or at the very least one that could bite them in the *** in a big way.

I don't think even Chargers.com would go that far in silencing 'dissent'. And sure as hell no fan site could ever do that if they wanted to stay in business.

Bucs will take a bath on this and it might lead to a tampa equivalent of bolttalk being formed

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I dunno - chargers.com is pretty uptight, IMO. I guess when a forum is the team's "official" forum, they have to police much tighter. This one will backfire, I believe. There are gonna be pissed-off posters spraying crap all over the 'net. :yes:

Kinda funny, actually. Not the player's behavior, but the way it's being handled.

18. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    They're less "uptight" than the local San Diego newspaper forum.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I wonder if the girl he raped fills the same way

what a douche bag

:tdown:

20. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I think the whole idea proposed by both sites was to take personal gripes to PM or e-mail, not express one's "hard feelings" within forum threads. :yes:

21. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    But that takes the fun out of it for the rest us who like to read the soap operas

:lol:

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn instigator!! :icon_tease:

Do you watch racing just for the wrecks?? :lol:

23. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Just the highlights!!!

:lol:

24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I would rather have Mario Williams than Reggie Bush OR Vince Young.

We'll see about the Dolphins too. Chad Henne may turn out to be a better quarterback than Brady Quinn, who Miami passed on to draft Ted Ginn last year.

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The book is still out on Vince Young, IMO. He isn't spectacular, but he wins. He's just the opposite of Cutler. The media and talking heads all love Cutler, but he doesn't win. VY just wins.

Mario is going to have a huge year in '08.

26. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This Bucs forum has been around for quite a while already.
    http://forums.pewterkrew.com/index.php

I've asked several times that you don't use BoltTalk as a venue for trash talking about other forums. Not only is it against our terms of service, but it's just bad form. If you have issues with any other Chargers forum and just really need to post about it publicly, you're going to have to find another place to do it.

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Not that I'm motivated to do a web search, but don't the fans down have an independent forum? I imagine that there are some national forums that are going to be getting an earful.