1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tanking?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by stone86, May 30, 2007.

1. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Is tanking an issue in the NFL? Before the NBA draft tons of media outlets were focusing on tanking in the league and how pervasive it is. In the NFL the season doesn't seem long enough, but has it ever been considered? Sometimes I mull over the possibility of a lottery for the top few picks, although in all likelihood it's not plausible. I also understand football is a high intensity game (I played,) and that probably reduces the possibility.

SO after my rambling...is tanking a relevant issue? When the Texans played the Niners in the Bush bowl were they trying to out tank the other? (lol.) I continue to think about it and go back and forth. Opinions?

PS. I'm not sure if this has been posted and if it has, sorry... I just wrote a huge paper for school and managed to delete it so now i'm just out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I seriously doubt it. Morale suffers on a scutt team, but most guys know that playing soft will get you hurt in a hurry. Guys like Moss can take time off because they're away from the action, sometimes by design in his case, but when your in the thick of it, it's like Foreign Legion-March or die. Football players are more aggressive than the athletes in other sports, if they weren't they wouldn't be playing sports like football or Rugby. They're averse to getting their asses kicked in the kinds of match ups you have in the sport. They're also averse to dogging it and don't like guys who for do another reason. If the guy next to you is not doing his best, the odds increase that you can get whacked.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Word... football players get hurt when they try to half a$$ it on the field. I don't think it's a big issue in the NFL. I can recall watching losing teams play losing teams in the last weeks of the season and I have no doubt that everyone was playing to win.

4. stone86

Ratings:
    +25
    I understand what you're saying. I'm not sure it has to be an issue of effort tho. It can be made as a coaching decision. Imagine being buried in your division and having no chance. (to play devil's advocate) I can see coaches go with the less skilled guys from the lower strings. That could be under the guise of keeping your starters healthy or giving the younger inexperienced players reps... If you did that chances are you'd lose.

Just food for thought.

5. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    It's seems to me the bust rate is so high in the draft, and difference between #5 pick and #1 rarely pans out to be that extreme, a team would have more to gain on trying to fix their system, try new plays, and improve in a real game where stakes are low, then dive for a number 1 pick... not to mention the salary cap expense a first rounder comes with.

And chances are if you are a bottom rung team, you don't have that many "starters" worth saving... IMHO.

6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    im tanking right now, i mean im getting tanked.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stone86

Ratings:
    +25
    hahaha :tup:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    No quicker way for a coach to lose the team than to put them into the tank just so he can draft someone to take one of their contracts. No one, but no one, will give loyalty to a coach who would make the team look like a bunch of schlubs.

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't think Tanking is that big of an issue in the NFL because 1 player can't change a team in the NFL like 1 player can change a team in the NBA.

Really unless it's like some super freak of a QB I don't really see why it's worth tanking to get the 1st pick, and even then I'm not sure teams tank because really there's no guarantee that QB will be any good.

As good as Reggie Bush is/was, he was still just a RB/WR. Same could be said about Calvin Johnson, he's just a WR.

Neither can have that big of an impact by themselves, shoot they didn't even go #1 overall even though they were considered once in a generation type talents.

Now if you get the 1st pick in the NBA and there's a stud player there, that can change your franchise around (Shaq, Duncan, Hakim)

Shoot just getting one great player in the draft can turn a franchise around (Jordan).

1 NBA starter makes up 20% of your starting lineup, 1 NFL starter doesn't even make up that much on a single unit (Offensive, Defensive) let alone the entire starting lineup, although some positions have much larger impacts (QB)

So in the NBA the reward of getting the 1st pick when there's an elite talent there is much higher than it'd even be in the NFL.