1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tarvaris Maturing

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MtlBoltsFan, Jun 7, 2008.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP)—Darrell Bevell often likes to say that a quarterback shows the most improvement between his first year of playing and his second.

If the Minnesota Vikings are going to fulfill their expectations of contending for the NFC North title and making a deep run in the playoffs, they need their offensive coordinator to be right about Tarvaris Jackson.

The former second-round draft pick out of Division I-AA Alabama State is entering his third year in the Vikings’ offense, and his second as starting quarterback. Bevell said the difference is noticeable.

“I think he’s better in every area from this time last year to where he is now,” Bevell said Saturday at the team’s minicamp. “He’s made great improvements, and that’s a credit to him and how hard he’s wanted to work to get better.”

As busy as Jackson has been this offseason with his workouts and film study, the Vikings’ front office was even busier in the free agent market. Owner Zygi Wilf spent millions to shore up some of the major weaknesses from a team that finished 8-8 last season.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Game-breaking receiver? Bernard Berrian.

Safety with range? Madieu Williams.

Punishing fullback? Thomas Tapeh.

Pass-rushing defensive end? Jared Allen.

Once all the checks were written, there seemingly was one question left to resolve: Is Jackson, who turned 25 just before April’s draft and has 14 career starts under his belt, ready to lead this veteran team?

Even with an 8-4 record as the starter last year, Jackson knows the doubters are out there.

“People are going to say what they want to say. It’s their job to analyze things and to give their opinion of our team,” Jackson said. “My job is to go out there and prove them wrong. That’s how I look at it. It’s just extra motivation. That’s all it is. Things like that kind of help me out, get me over the top.”

It’s difficult to gauge Jackson’s progress in the offense during these unpadded minicamps, but teammates say they see a more confident, comfortable quarterback.

Receiver Bobby Wade watched Jackson struggle with the job early, miss some time to injury and show improvement as last season drew to a close.

“He kind of had a taste of what it’s going to be like in a career for a quarterback to get knocked down and have to get back up, have to still find a way to win games, find a way to manage games and lead a team,” Wade said. “It’s the hardest position on the field, but you can definitely see his confidence in his ability and also the confidence that the team shows him.”

Jackson threw for 1,911 yards, nine touchdowns and 12 interceptions and completed 58.2 percent of his passes last year. Those numbers are expected to be much better in his second full season as a starter and with the addition of Berrian and the continued presence of Adrian Peterson.

But more than numbers, the Vikings need Jackson to assume the leadership role that comes with playing the marquee position in sports. Bevell said he had to prod Jackson about that at times last season, but can see a difference this time around.

“I don’t even have to talk to him about that. I can see he’s more confident,” Bevell said. “He has a little bit of a swagger to him. He has a good command of stepping into the huddle, and those are the things we like.”

Gus Frerotte signed in the offseason to be a veteran mentor to Jackson, his second tour with the Vikings after serving as Daunte Culpepper’s backup in 2003-04.

“I can see it. There’s no hesitation when he calls plays,” Frerotte said. “He’s very confident with himself and how he’s handling himself in the huddle and with the other players. That’s really good to see. That’s all about being a leader and being a quarterback.”

After the Vikings wrapped up the second of two practices on Saturday, Jackson said he has been working on his demeanor in the huddle to show his teammates he is ready for the responsibility.

“It’s better for your teammates to be able to see you in the huddle confident instead of being a wide-eyed rookie and you may not know what to do and not know how to call a play,” Jackson said. “Now when you know what’s going on, especially when you can be consistent out there, you’re an easy one to listen to.”

:clap:

Vikings are going to be so dominant :yes:

2. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    After watching them dominate back in the '60's, would be nice to see that again. Long dry spell.

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    if Jackson progresses as much as he did last year, id be surprised if the vikes DONT make the super bowl this year

4. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    I have money on them to win the SB. They are going to be fun to watch. Our boy Sidney should have a nice season. I'm thinking 850 yards 8 touchdowns or something which is great considering they will be run heavy.

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    The only mistake they have made the past couple of years was the contract they gave Berrian. Hes good, but hes not even going to be their best WR

I really do think they will have a top 10 offense this year. Peterson, Taylor, rice, Berrian, and that OL? ANY QB can succeed with that much help, and Jackson adds a little something to that offense himself with his running ability

Love that team this year. Just hope they arent the team we would have to play if we made the super bowl

OH and BTW, i think Rice will be even better than this year. I think he will have a 1k years season, and be in that 8-10 TD range

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    They had a great team in the 90's!! That's when I realized how bad Dennis Green is because any average coach could have got at least one Super Bowl victory with all that talent. He couldn't even get them there.

7. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Yeah, I forgot about those years, as I "lost my way away from football" in 1990 due to loss of a loved one and missed those good years. Just the last few years I managed to get interested again, and that was mainly due to reading about the Chargers on this forum.

So, maybe their third years of domination will lead them to a SB win? The only problem with that is, now I have TWO teams I want to win that.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sorry to hear that!!! :(

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

If we face them in the Super Bowl, I'll care. Otherwise... I agree!!
    The way things look right now, Vikings are the only NFC team that concerns me.

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    You?

12. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I'll leave it to you MTL to come on here and post something non charger related....lol! Unreal!

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I'm not sold on Sidney Rice, and Berrian is definitely NOT worth what the Vikes paid for him.

Not sold on Jackson either. He take too long to release the ball.

I predict that the Vikings will disappoint a lot of people and finish around 8-8.

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    As well you should because this is the "Chargers AND NFL forum" last time I checked.

15. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    oh no doubt, nothing wrong with posting about NFL news....Just thought it was funny cause I cant remember the last time you posted a new thread about the chargers team in a positive way? I would say the FU Rivers thread in November of last year but that wasnt exactly a positive thread. Which is why I said leave it to you to post something non charger related, well ummm cause thats about all you post. dont get your panties in a bunch nothing wrong with it jus thought it was funny was all!

16. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    I know too much about the Chargers so I am not as interested in them as I am in other teams and players.

17. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Fair enough

18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I agree that the Vikes are going to be INSANE this year. That is all. Mtl, what odds did you get on them winning it all?

19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    30/1

BTW I won two EURO 2008 bets today I had Croatia -0.5 (-114) won that then put my winnings on Germany +0.5 (-750) for an extra easy 28 bucks. Tomorrow I have Romania +1 (-179). I was about to play to Romania/France draw +236 and I still might. Romania upset the Netherlands in the qualifiers and they are a strong team. I figured the wiser bet is take Romania +1 because Thierry Henry is banged up and France is missing their captain midfielder and their defense looked weak in the qualifiers. If France goes up 1-0 they will probably shift their formation to defense oriented... both of these teams play patient games. Odds are that it will be a 1 goal game so if France wins at least I push, while if it is a draw I still win with +1.

20. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    :tup:

Glad to see you betting that. It's been a great year for soccer. First, the Champions League was insane, now Euro Cup... It's a great time killer. :yes:

Did you see some of the payouts for the Belmont yesterday??? Holy ****, a $2 trifecta payed like 3K. Fuqing insane...

21. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    I'll never bet horses. If a man can actually come out on top in horse betting I will crown him the greatest betting genius in the world and I am not talking about Ellis Starr :lol:

BTW EC if you want to try your luck tomorrow and go balls out you can go Romania ML +460 or whatever it was. That's the only high payout bet tomorrow in EURO2008 that actually has a reasonable chance to pay.

Man I love betting on soccer.

22. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I love watching it. I find it riveting drama. :yes::tup:

No way I'm touching Romania, but you will be a GAWD if that hits. :yes:

23. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Romania is ranked like #12 in the world by FIFA and france's captain is out and Henry is questionable. I don't have the Romania ML only Romania +1 I was just suggesting if you want to have a wild time the Romania ML is the way to go :yes:

BTW Romania's striker got fined 12 million euros a couple days ago for testing positive for cocaine and then a day later his grandma died.