1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

TC closed to public

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by pure-sol, Jul 2, 2009.

1. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    From Jim Steeg via Twitter:

Looks like we'll need binos and use Trumpys seeeekret spot! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that is such exquisite Bullshit right there

3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    That is code for "We have massively changed the defense and dont want other teams seeing it to early!"

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers' camp will be closed to public

Safety concerns remain from February pipe burst

By Kevin Acee
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    2:00 a.m. July 2, 2009

A summertime tradition for thousands of Chargers fans will be interrupted this year when the team closes its training camp to the public due to safety concerns at Chargers Park.

Replacement of a drainage pipe that burst in February and caused significant damage to the team's Murphy Canyon facility is not scheduled to begin until at least later this month and is expected to take two to three months to complete.

Training camp begins the last week of July.

The team has arranged for three free public workouts to be held at Qualcomm Stadium — the annual FanFest on Aug. 8 and two night practices, Aug. 5 and 12.

“(Attending training camp) is important to some people, and we understand that,” said Jim Steeg, Chargers' chief operating officer. “ . . . We tried to come up with a solution that made sense.”

The Chargers closed their May minicamp as well.

Part of the damage in February was a sink hole that measured 40 feet deep and 30 feet in diameter and was located where a concession stand usually sits during camp. The sink hole has been filled, but there is no guarantee the ground around it or along the path of the damaged pipe is safe.

The pipe runs directly underneath where bleachers are placed for fans to watch camp practices.

“The primary concern is safety,” said stadium manager Mike McSweeney, who also oversees the city-run Chargers Park. “We don't feel and the Chargers don't feel that it's safe.”

McSweeney said the Water Department is still considering bids for the project, which involves replacing several hundred yards of pipe and sleeving.

The work will be done at night so it will not interfere with the team's practices.

The Chargers have opened to the public about 15 practices each of the four years they've held training camp at Chargers Park. Most training camp practices dating to the 1970s have been open to the public.

The Chargers have drawn more than 25,000 fans each of their four summers at Murphy Canyon. Most of their weekend and weeknight practices have drawn 3,000 to 4,000 fans.

Union-Tribune

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    This really blows for us out-of-town Boltheads. We depend on our fellow Boltheads for reports from camp with pics!!

:tdown:

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Secret TC, ooh God is on our side...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Thank the city for not fixing the pipe. Good job....................................................

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    while I'm bummed - so long as the team brings it this season and kicks some *** the way we know they can I think we'll all survive :yes:

plus, BT has the infos on a super secret viewing spot :lol: so we're all good~

9. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    This is the worst news ever...

No wait my wife left me took the kids the dog the house and all my money...

Yes closing TC is the worst news ever... :lol:

10. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    At first I was upset when I heard this, but really all this does is give me an excuse to buy the teleconverter I've been wanting for my camera!

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Meh, like that's gonna stop us from going.

:lol:

Only thing gonna stop me is work.

12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

According to the team's website, the Chargers will not open their training camp to the general public this year due to ongoing repairs being conducted to the underground storm drain system in the area.
    "Training camp is a special time for our fans, and the decision to close camp this year was made very reluctantly," said Jim Steeg, the Chargers’ Chief Operating Officer. "We share the city’s goal of completing these critical repairs during the dry summer months so in the end, we had no alternative but to take this step."

13. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    This sucks!! I finally moved to San Diego in May and I'm intentionally unemployed so that I could go to TC, and now this. Guess I'll have to find something else to do on hot San Diego summer days...