1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

TC thoughts from practice on 8/3....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    So the Chargers had their annual night practice at the Q and we got to see the last big practice before the new contract players get to join in and the real camp starts. Their was a little of everything tonight. I'll hit on a few:

Lots of players taking a day off tonight. Rookies getting a lot of play.

Marcus Gilchrist has good speed, quick moves, and is playing safety, nickel, and KR really well.

Shareece Wright is also looking great for a rookie. On 1 play tonight Tutu took off on an out and up and Wright took him step for step down the field like a blanket. Great coverage.

Tolzien is young and still making a few mistakes (Traye Simmons picked him once) but he is throwing the ball well and looks really comfortable.

Walters the rookie receiver was catching everything thrown his way.

Tutu dropped a couple of passes today during drills, but caught at least 2 touchdowns during the team phase and looked great.

Best thing I saw all night was Volek passing to VJ on the side. They probably shouldn't have been "practicing" but man Volek throws a nice pass and just watching VJ catch the ball he proves why we owe him a contract. Just a masterclass on pass catching.

More in the morning when I can think...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Eurobolt Mike

Eurobolt Mike BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    Patrick Crayton - has anyone seen him this year?

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    He is there alright Mike.

4. Eurobolt Mike

Eurobolt Mike BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    I hope he has a good camp as I feel he's going to be very important this year but no-one's mentioned him...

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Keep those updates coming. Thanks.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Yea nice report. Gonna need more!!

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I will be at todays practice from 4-6 I will try and get some pictures

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Cason was defending Crayton on the finger breaking play. :tdown:

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Tx MM, as Buck says keep this opinion comin, it is great to get. So will Walters be the latest Welker?. I get the impression Tutu is getting into position to catch the ball lots but is dropping too many no?. I'm liking the sound of this guy Gilchrist. He is probably gonna see quite a bit of action. Any Odim sightings?.

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Excellent many thanks. Us 'out foreign' live for this inside opinion/view.

11. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Crayton is having a solid camp so far. He is working as the #1 KR right now since Cason is hurt. He is the crafty vet out there catching all the intermediate routes. He has fabulous hands. He just doesnt drop much of anything.

Scifres was completely on fire last night. He hit 3 or 4 65+ bombs. On one punt drill, he punted 62 yards over one of the rookies head, and the ball bounced and then stopped dead on the 2.

Nate hit absolutley everything he kicked. When he was working drills with Binn and Scifres, and all 5 or 6 during ST work. I havent seen him miss a shot all camp. Still think we need some blow up Jets dolls so we can throw them out there and make him kick. We need to exorcise those demons.

Rich Goodman is still looking great returning kicks and he is also catching basically everything thrown at him. Having an impressive camp so far.

Jordan Todman is getting a lot of work and he has some speed and moves.

That being said, Isaac Odim has so much shake and bake in his running, I just feel he may be the better 3rd RB choice for us. My guess is it comes down to Todman and Odim for #3 and the other goes to the PS. Odim has so much acceleration from stop to go its insane.

Weddle was no where to be found on the field today, my guess is his wife went in to labor. We may soon be hearing about little Silver Weddle being born. (Silver is gonna be his daughters name)

Not sure if they were getting some rest or were a little dinged up, but these guys were on the side and not practicing:
    Frank Summers, Nick Richmond, Quentin Jammer

Larry English was working on the side with one of the LB coaches doing some blitz drills and stuff. He looks very close to returning to the field. Could even be today with the vets.

We had our first fight of camp. On an 11 on 11 drill, Castillo camp up the middle on a swim and Hardwick popped him pretty good. Luis didnt take kindly to it so they went at it for a couple of seconds before it got broken up. I like to see some fire from these guys.

Butler is looking pretty good out there. He is dropping in to coverage well.

Thats about it folks. I'll be back down there for Fan Fest on Saturday and I'll give you some more.

12. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    And yes Tutu is running great routes and getting open, just doesnt have world class hands yet. He has been Rivers favorite target so far in the 3 practices I've seen. Of course VJ is not in, Gates is not in, and Vince Brown has been sidelined with a sore Quadricep for the last 3 practices.

13. Eurobolt Mike

Eurobolt Mike BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    That's excellent, thank you, MM!

14. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Here is what I saw:

-Crayton stands out amonst all the youngster WR's, looks very fluid and made everything look easy

-Richard Goodman looked impressive, dude is quick!

-Tutu making 1 handed grabs and stands out with his size.. I think he will develop into a M80 II, perhaps better

-Toddman looks tiny

-Mathews looked good, dudes calves/legs are fuggin' thick! He was catching the ball and his balance still amazes me

-Kory Sperry (!!) DEFINITELY stood out the most amongst anyone, I believe he's 6'5'' and runs smooth azz routes; didn't drop a pass. Looks like we have a keeper here

-Our Lord and Savior was dead nuts on, lofting the deep ball like its nobody's business and throwing lasers over the middle

-Scott Tolzien! Wow man the Cardinals f'd up, this kid looks like the real deal, very impressive

-Marcus McNeil looked great, looks to be in good shape feet looked quick and he's seriously a beast. When he throws his arms out there its hard to imagine anyone can get around that wing span

-Glastillo showed a little fire. Hardwick earholed him and put him on his ***, he got up charged him and started shoving, punching..First little TC scuffle, was nice to see he actually gets mad.

-Donald Butler looks like a pro. Don't let that baby face fool you, thats a DSMA right therrr.

-Gilchrist impressed, both at CB and returning kicks

-S. Wright got a pick in 7 on 7's, looks like we have some pretty good young talent here at CB

-Mouton loves to maul, he definitely needs some work on angles/technique, but he's a hard hitting SOB

-Kaeding was drilling 50-53 yarders

-Scifers, ****! Dude was UNCORKING the ball man, unleashing 60,70 yard booms

-Little white receiver named Walters looks promising, i'd say PS for now, but we will see.. Reminds me of a little Welker

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Nice report there, 909, but it all sounds positive......... no stinkers out there? ;)

16. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    To be honest, nobody stuck out too much.. Schilling our late round OT looked like his feet were stuck in mud, as did some of the other younger OLmen... Hester dropped a couple passes, but also made plenty along with a really nice grab in the corner of the EZ.

Mouton definitely looks raw, I would be VERY scared if he had to start, but I think he will come along nicely.

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Tk u 909, more great insight. I wonder is Sperry heir apparent in the making. Hope Goodman ends up being KR, great to see some speed for a change.

18. Eurobolt Mike

Eurobolt Mike BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    909 - Thanks for the update :)

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Thanks.

So, do you think Butler is capable of starting, or is a vet ILB starter a necessity?

20. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Butler could start, but we need a Vet ILB to shore up the position. If Takeo went down we would have only have Mouton and Butler for every down. We need another body badly.

21. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I honestly do. We will see when they get some new looks (ie pre season games), but from the looks I think he can hang

22. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Exactly, this would be my biggest fear. Though IF it happened it would just force these kids to grow up in a hurry.. Insurance would be wise though

23. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    thanks, I just bought a new camera, I cant wait till I can use it. Hopefully I will get some better shots then last year.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Don't forget to take off the lens cap. ;)

25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    I'll be delighted if Butler comes through to be the man alongside Spikes. Mouton will back up Spikes then. We still need another ILB though?.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    I'm sure AJ will bring in somebody......... cheap. ;)