1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Team doctors told Merriman to have the surgery after 2007

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by WonderSlug, Aug 27, 2008.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3556123

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    A whole new round of upfuq stuff :icon_eek: :rolleyes2:

3. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    People have been whining and blaming AJ Smith, Norv, the Chargers, and the team doctors for risking Merriman's future.

In actuality, it was Merriman himself that did all this by not choosing to have the surgery at the beginning of the year after the TEAM DOCTORS and AJ Smith recommended it.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Oh there's no good that can come from this information :no:

• Like Like x 1
  5. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    That it's Merriman's decision (and ultimately any "fault") regarding playing with the injury this season and not getting the surgery?

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Dude I know and I agree 100%
    But if what is 'reported' is true that the majority (G-d forbid ALL) said he should have the surgery now, and only the team doc said he doesn't have to, it looks and can be spin as the team pressured Merriman into making a decision 'not in his interest'.

I agree Merriman made the decision himself, he is a grown man and he definitely talked to everyone under the sun. It doesn't matter, to the majority of hte world it will be spun as AJ Smith and the team conspired to get Merriman on the field regardless of how hurt he could be.

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    That's not true.

The team doctors DID recommend that Merriman have the surgery to repair his torn ligaments after the 2007 season. Both Merriman and Condon were told this. AJ Smith discussed it with them as well, and also recommended that Merriman have the surgery.

The Chargers, the team doctors, AJ Smith, all told Merriman and Condon that they should have the surgery to repair the ligaments. They also gave other options but said that surgery was the best course of action.

Instead Merriman chose to have another surgery, that didn't address his ligaments, and instead wear a knee brace.

It was all Merriman's decision.

8. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Um the Chargers told him to get the surgery at the end of last season, before any of those other docs, Merriman opted not to do it, the Chargers aren't going to stop him from playing, he was able to finish the season with that injury so he was cleared to play this season.

So all the BS the media was spewing was wrong and they can shove it where the sun don't shine. The media was just waiting for a reason to bash us and they found it. They can pat you on the back and claim how great you are but at the hint at anything potentially negative they turn on you instantly.

Embrace the hate, even when they praise you it's phony because they'll turn on you instantly.

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

Definitely. The mediots on ESPN and NFL Network that have been blasting the members of the Chargers organization like the team doctors, AJ Smith, and Norv only got 10% of the story yet they were authoritative in their assessments as if they were tapped into the private conversations with Merriman, the Chargers personnel, and the doctors.

The big thing that factored into Merriman's decision to play this season is that he played with these torn ligaments in 6 games (3 regular season games, 3 playoff games), as well as the first preseason game. He said they didn't affect his game.

I would believe that if Merriman noticed that he had lost his burst, speed, or knee stability he indeed would have had the surgery like the team doctors recommended at the beginning of the year.

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

And a Pro Bowl.

11. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Ah yes, correct, he also played in the Pro Bowl.

Although that was sort of a nice little fun practice type thing compared to the postseason. ;)

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Oh I know. I just thought it was interesting to see that the injury wasn't even bad enough to keep him out of a meaningless Pro Bowl game.

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    True. Gates and L.T. opted out of the Pro Bowl, so that gives a reference.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I blame p88f. It's just too easy not to.

:D

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    If some of these Analysts would do ther home work before they open there big mouths.... :lol:

SM is Superman....:yes:

AJ is God....:yes:

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    BINGO! He should have at least got the surgery right after the NE loss. I know woulda, shoulda, coulda, but man, he could have been like Rivers and be playing at full strength for Carolina (probably) if he got under the knife when he should have! Just my 2 cents..... :pissed:

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Evidently, it wasn't as bad as the mediots reported since he went out and played in the Pro Bowl instead. He also played in the first preseason game versus Dallas.

In addition, supposedly he's played with the PCL injury since 2005 when, if true, THAT was the knee injury he suffered in the preseason game versus the Vikings while playing special teams his rookie year.

The LCL injury was the one he suffered in the first game versus the Titans where Tennessee center Mawae conspired to hit him low when he wasn't looking.

Even then he played with both the PCL and LCL injuries in the subsequent games of the 2007 season, including the postseason. Until we found out about the full extent just several weeks ago, no one was the wiser.

18. aomiles

aomiles BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
  19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    He will be playing with his hart not his head.

I love Shawne, but if someone decides to take him out, rolling on that knee could be devistating.

Ohe yeah, we play the Donkies and Raiders....

20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I hear ya slug, but he should have listened to his coaches and trainers and get the full procedure when they recommended it. I know Lights is a warrior and one of my favorite Chargers, but the fact is we need this guy late in the season, the playoffs and for a possible Super Bowl run here. You know Castillo is going to get hurt (always does), Jamal is coming off surgery and getting up there in age along with everyone else getting hurt. We don't need another stud on the front 7 getting hurt especially late in the season and in the playoffs. I would rather Lights got the surgery right after the NE game so he would be good to go at least by mid this season for a late season stretch. That's when we will really need his leadership and fire. I admire what he's doing, taking one for the team and all but man, getting hurt during the season and gosh forbid he tears his ACL would be a huge loss for us. I just hope Tucker and Harris and the rest man up if the "Lights" go out on us!

21. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    A quick thought.

Why would the team pass him on his physical? Couldn't they have done something where it would basically corner him into having the surgery? Or is there some legal issues behind not passing a player when they do indeed pass all the tests required?

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Not me.
    Except for this... Norv MUST limit Shawn's time on the field during the early season.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I believe slug is talking about the talking head "experts" in the media.

24. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    make that $0.04:icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1