1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Team needs (players ONLY)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    We're not gonna discuss HC in this thread. All mention of the coaching positions will be reported for removal. I don't wanna see this turn into a FIRE NORV or whoever b1tchfest.

I think in terms of need, the fact still remains: We needed to draft Jamal's replacement about 2-3 years ago. It still remains priority #1. We cannot play an effective 3-4 without a big *** monster @ NT, it just doesn't work. We put forth as good an effort as we could this season minus the few RETARDS (STARING @ you #95 and #31) we have to jettison.

So, knowing AJ is not one to go seriously dipping into the FA pool and the uncertainty of the upcoming CBA/Salary Cap thingy, I think the draft is the first and best place for us to look.

My top 5 needs:

1. NT
    2. RB
    3. DL
    4. K
    5. CB

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    1. NT
    2. DE/RB (tied)
    3. K
    4. OT
    5. WR maybe

Terrance Cody/Dan Williams in lightning bolts
    Kicker we can at least find in FA

3. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    You think Mt. Cody will fall far enough? I dunno...

4. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    1.NT
    2.RB
    3.OL/DL
    4. DB's

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I think he will to 28, Dan Williams might not, he's rising.

6. the_riddler

the_riddler BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    1.NT
    2.RB
    3.OL/DL
    4.LB
    5.DB's

7. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    If he's there Loren, HUGE win for us. Dude is a beast.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    After watching both Mount Cody & Dan Williams, I gotta go Cody. Dan Williams really doesn't show me any more athleticism & he can be moved around. Cody just IS. You don't move him much & consumes blockers. I watched Mangold reaching the 2nd level, usually Siler, with ease the entire second half. That has to stop.

I'm pretty much in line with you, RTL. I'd go RB in the 2nd for the right guy. My choice there, if available, is Ryan Mathews. If he isn't there, I probably go DL & look at RB again on Day Two.

With Cro continuing to be a soft-*** punk, we're gonna have to take or buy a DB again this year.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    can OG or Martin be that NT after Jamal?

even so I'd go 1)NT, 2)RB 3-7) Beef with maybe a kicker in the 6th or 7th to put some pressure on Nate

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Perhaps - but I would prefer to see them be used as big DE's to also help keep pressure off of our LBers. We also have Bingham coming back next year. If Cody is only a 2-down guy, we'll need a couple of guys who are capable of rotating in.

It's extremely important that we get the guys like Martin & OG coached up during the off season.

11. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    A running back won't do us any good until we get some physical linemen who can run block.

12. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    1. NT
    2. RB
    3. CB
    4. ILB
    5. OT

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    There's been talk about moving Martin to DE, and with his talent and ability he might be able to do that well. But yeah I get the idea bringing back Jamal and rotating him with Cody and Scott while castillo-cesaire rotating on the other side would help.

DE - Martin/Bingham
    NT - Cody/Williams/Scott
    DE - Castillo/Cesaire

Looks like a good DL right there

And yeah RB needed after for sure

14. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Interior lineman on both sides of the ball. Help up the middle of the defense at ILB and Safety. More cornerback depth so we can get rid of dead weights that have been hanging on for the last three years while making no major contributions to the team.

15. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    NT
    RB- Lagarrete Blout
    Kicker
    OLB

16. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    We don't know what we have at OL until we have a RB who can take advantage of good blocking

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Or can hit the hole and bust his way thru with brute strength or turn the corner and stay upright.

Neither LT or Sproles has the size to PUNISH defenders. That's what we need. We already have the scatback in Sproles, we need the PUNISHER.

18. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    Lagarrrette Blount

dude manned up to get back onto that Oregon Team

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930

given the immaturity and selfish attitude that this team displayed, is that REALLY what you want on this team?

20. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    Loren, after that punch- he matured and clawed his way back onto that Oregon team.

he could have blown up and lost it completly but he didn't

i'm not saying use a 1st rounder- maybe a 4th-5th rounder

21. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Shutdown corner, get rid of Cro.
    Matt Stover, or Adam Viniteri at kicker. Both are currently with the Colts.
    A good young RB. Think how much better we could have been with a RB who averaged 4.3 instead of 3.3 yards.
    Jamal's replacement.

22. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    actually the front 7 played better throughout the year. they were basically stuffing the jets until the end when a safety blew the game on the long one. and no that was not cros responsibility to be the last line of defense on greene. if a safety cannot make the gamesaving tackle hes just not capable. if you want me to take 2 hours out of my day to put together a highlight reel of weddles whiffs you might have to pay me something first, but its the truth.

FS
    RT
    RB
    :bolt::bolt::bolt:

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I gotta disagree, I think Weddle played pretty decently all year long and he showed great improvement the more time he got at FS when he finally played his position. Oh and regarding Shonn Greene running him over, just a note

Weddle: 5'11 200 (maybe)
    Greene: 5'11 226 (i'd say up that by 10)

Yeah that's not a matchup most people in weddle's position will win. just a note

24. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    this is my point ant, im not saying hes a bad player but FS isnt his natural position. he would be amazing as a nickelback for sure. but a FS has to tackle. think of all the great ones and name one that cant wrap up

25. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    1. NT -Terrance Cody is in this draft. I liked Ian Scott but was very disappointed in Boone, Martin, and Johnson in the last game in particular. I think a Cody/Scott/Williams rotation will plug up the hole.
    2. RB -I like Blount. He's a lot like Shonn Greene, but with an attitude. Except I saw an interview with him before the Rose Bowl and he was very coy actually, humble if you will. I'm sure we'll see that if he makes the NFL. Patience and maturity like that from a pro running back will pay off huge.
    3. K - Stover/Vinatieri plz
    4. C/RT - We'll have Mooch and probably Hardwick so it should go for a better RT. It's nearly impossible to run to our right (Watch the Eagles, Bengals, Cowboys, and Jets games). Though I'd call it priority #4, I'd be delighted to see a move in the 2nd or 1st round.

26. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I have no names for Players we need just positions we need badly.

1. OL/DL to include a NT and have a 3-4 4-3 mixed alignment.

2. DB's
    3. RB
    4. K
    5. LB's

27. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    No runningbacks till the fifth round. I'd much rather just play run Bennett, Sproles, and Tolbert if LT isn't back. Stupid to spend a high pick on a runningback when we won't give him more than fifteen carries a game.

28. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Kicker

• Like Like x 1
  29. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    :yes: