1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Team President seems genuinely swayed by team's strong finish under Turner.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 1, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Spanos will take time to decide fate of Smith, Turner

Team President seems genuinely swayed by team's strong finish under Turner.

Written by

Kevin Ace

Dean Spanos has decisions yet to make. That much seems all that is certain.

Spanos watched the final moments of the final game of a disappointing season from the sideline in the company of General Manager A.J. Smith then walked to the locker room to listen to Norv Turner’s postgame speech and congratulate his head coach for the 38-26 victory over the Raiders.

In between those two tasks, Spanos stopped for a moment to answer some questions.

The Chargers President said to not read too much into his words, but it was difficult not to.

“It was really exciting,” Spanos said. “I'm really proud of them. I think it really shows how resilient they are, how hard they play for this coach.”

It’s a sentiment he has expressed publicly and privately before.

According to those close to him, both in and around the organization, Spanos had all but decided a month ago what to do about his head coach and general manager. And then things changed.

The Chargers had lost six straight going into December. Spanos was described as “distraught” and “extremely disappointed.” He believed, according to those who had spoken with him, that he had “no choice” but to fire Turner and perhaps part ways with Smith too.

But Spanos also said he ultimately would not allow emotion to sway him and always maintained he would wait until after the season to make his decision.

He has long been a believer in Turner and credits Smith with the bulk of the decisions that have shaped what was a forlorn franchise into a perennial contender the past eight seasons.

Spanos is aware of what Smith has done wrong and done right. The team president knows how injuries and uncharacteristic mistakes by Philip Rivers played a part in the Chargers failing to make the playoffs for the second straight season.

He looks at the standings, sees the Chargers were 8-8 and missed out on the postseason in a tiebreaker and lost two overtime games by a field goal and three other games by a touchdown or less in their six-game losing streak.

"We won four of our first five and four of our last five," he said. "Pick any of the games in the middle."

Spanos could decide to keep his imperious G.M., yet suggest/demand some changes in how he operates and how the personnel department goes forward. For all his faith in Turner, Spanos might also suggest/demand some changes in how the coach goes about managing a game. It has been all but decided that defensive coordinator Greg Manusky will be fired.

"I'm looking at the entire organization," Spanos said.

Spanos knows he will take a hit at the box office if he keeps Turner. Spanos also knows that winning, which the Chargers have done more frequently under Turner than any coach in team history, would alter the mood of the fans.

“I'm going to sleep on this for a couple days,” Spanos said Sunday. “... There are a lot of things I want to think about.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/01/spanos-will-take-time-decide-fate-smith-turner/

2. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I expect Dean will take a few days to assess "the state of the Chargers" before making his decisions regarding the coach and the GM...I hope he is also gauging the interest level of potential replacements so we don't wind up hiring an even bigger problem.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Oh-oh, sounds like a Spanos end around.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    This is why he fails. Wishy washy team from the very top. Yeah, let's just stay the course and hope Norv miraculously starts knowing how to beat the teams in the biggest games or AJ starts bringing in big name free agents and drafting better w/ out Nix.

What a joke.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    OMFG.:cautious: Welcome to San Diego, where we're just happy to go .500 as long as we win the last game of the season.

6. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    This stat, and quote bothers me, because while Norv has a high wining percentage as the Chargers head coach, it's not like he inherited a hopeless crappy team, then re-built them into winners. He was given a stacked 14-2 team, there should be an asterisk next to his winning record with the bolts.

" Spanos also knows that winning, which the Chargers have done at a higher rate under Turner than any coach in team history, would alter the mood of the fans."

7. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Bull ******* ****.

If Norv stays, I cancel my Sunday Ticket subscription.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Dean is such a pussy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Fixed it for ya Kev !!!

Fire the bastages !!!

• Like Like x 3
  11. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    FACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.... I knew i wasnt crazy hoping that the raiders would beat our a ss

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    If that's the case then mr Spanos can make due without my season tickets. No reason to pay big bucks for a mediocre product at best next year.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I bet the radio air waves are going to be hot tomorrow.

EYE want to talk sports with you...............................

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
  15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    C'mon man! You know damn well that whatever the outcome is regarding Norv/AJ, you'll renew. :D

16. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Two things I HOPE will CHANGE in 2012:

1) Chargers HC, DC and special teams;

2) Barack Obama's address.

That is all.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    That is weak, his fate should've been sealed the moment we missed playoffs for the second season in a row.

If he does indeed keep Turner, in my view that will be because he doesn't want to spend the money to fire him, and the money to get a new coach, it won't be for any other reason.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Great, 2012 will be another throwaway year

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hope they both stay just to piss off the rest of you. :giggle:

20. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Maybe this was just Dean putting it out there to get fan reaction. If the fans don't seem too upset then maybe he will keep him. :tdown:

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Dean better not dick the dog on this decision either. He will end up losing out on a coach/DC with his hesitation. Spagnuolo will be fired today so if he is keeping the assclowns then he needs to tell them so we can go get Spags as DC.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Don't worry - Dean is consulting with his accountant as we speak.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't believe this is about money. Dean is smart enough to know that season ticket numbers have dropped every year since 2007, and as much as the fans hate Norv and AJ, they will continue to drop if they are kept. He will lose more money when it comes to season tickets and the potential effects this could have on getting a new stadium, than he will by firing them

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Which means what to the Chargers? That has no leverage at all.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    All yall getting worked up over nothing.

Dean hasnt made any announcement yet and you are all crying in your soup...

26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Hahahahaha, this is going to be a great week or two for me, let the total Bolt meltdown begin. This will make the great wars of 04-05 seem like child's play!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Asbestos undies all around...

• Like Like x 1
  28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Better remove all the women and children from the house, asbestos will be of little help this time around.

• Like Like x 1
  29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dean waited too long to make a decision on Marty, and because of that, we got stuck with Norv. Now he is going to take his time on Norv, and we will get stuck with another bum

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Winning & offering a quality product results in making money.

When Dean wraps his head around that mindset he'll sell tickets.

As long as he continues to worry about fan appeal & profit first, there won't be a Lombardi in the Chargers' trophy case, regardless of who the coach or GM is.

AJ is a product of his ego in part, but he's also a reflection of the organizational mindset.

What Dean SHOULD be considering is getting the hell out of the NFL football business.

• Like Like x 3