1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Team Report: Inside Slant

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67068&type=InsideSlant

Shawne Merriman isn't suspended for a positive steroid test -- yet.

The Pro Bowl outside linebacker finally met with the media late Monday afternoon, as the appeal of the positive steroid test works its way through the process.
    Merriman, the defensive rookie of the year in 2005, said the positive test was the result of a tainted supplement. He practice with the team on Monday, one day after the Chargers suffered a 30-27 defeat in Kansas City.

"I will try to deal with it accordingly," Merriman said. "I hope nobody makes any kind of judgment or anything that makes me guilty of anything because nothing has been done wrong on my part.

"I will try to get it straightened out as soon as possible without missing any time."

If his appeal is denied, Merriman would miss four games. The Chargers are already thin at the outside linebacker spot, with Steve Foley out after being shot by an off-duty police office and Shaun Phillips suffering a calf strain against Kansas City last week.

"What is important for me is to try and get back on the field and help this team win," Merriman said. "It is something that I am dealing with and I will take a lot of effort in doing the right thing, and I will continue to do the right thing.

"No matter what happens I will be taking responsibility. I am not running from the situation here; I will do what is best for this organization and this team."

"I have no reason to do anything wrong especially when I am already in the spotlight. This obviously is a mistake that has to be dealt with and hopefully no judgment is made about me before everything comes out. Believe me, when I am able to speak on these things, I will."

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Team Report: Notes and Quotes

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67068&type=NotesAndQuotes

--LB Shaun Phillips suffered a calf strain and will be out 2-4 weeks. The Chargers were optimistic that he won't be sideline longer.

--LB Marques Harris will replace OLB Shaun Phillips for the next 2-4 weeks. Harris had a sack and a forced fumble in Sunday's loss at K.C.
    --If Merriman is sat down for four games, he would be replaced by Carlos Polk, a six-year pro who is a decent run-stopper.

--RG Mike Goff had surgery on his right hand, but is expected to practice and play this week.

--QB Philip Rivers got a bit of a stinger in the game, but he is said to be fine.

--S Bhawoh Jue (knee) is expected to return to team drills this week. He could play this weekend.

--LT Roman Oben (foot) said he will return to practice on Wednesday and is shooting to be added to the active roster for the Bengals game on Nov. 12.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    But we still lose the pass rush and "kill the QB" ability that Mr. Nandro provided. :no: :unsure:

4. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Gee, must have been the time when 3-4 of the Chief players picked him up and slammed him to the ground?!? You know which one I'm talking about.....no roughing the passer play!:icon_evil: :icon_evil:

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I hope he comes back strong and takes that SS job away from Kiel. Sure Jue is nothing special, but kiel sucks!

6. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Yeah i know, i've seen roughing the passer calls against Defenders for much less than that:icon_evil: :icon_evil:

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I saw that as well and the refs just kept the hankies in the pocket......that was bullshiit. :tdown:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Why is Big Ben in the grasp, but Rivers has fumbles? The last fumble they said Rivers has should have been called in the grasp. The spike of Rivers should have drawn a flag as well.

9. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Why isn't VJ listed on that report ? Is he playing this weekend ?

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Word I have says yes.

11. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Yep..... if you're gonna call roughing and if the NFL is going to try and protect the QBs, then that's a pretty obvious call to make. Once you pick up the QB, he's done.... you don't have to slam him head first into the ground. Last year Castillo was called twice on "roughing the QB" calls when all he did was graze the helmet when his hands came down.... both times it gave the opposing team a first down. It kept Dallas' winning drive going. But that minor graze, that barely moved the helmet of the QB, was flagged, yet slamming Rivers head first into the ground was okay.

The officiating at times is so awful and inconsistent, it's pathetic.

Also, there was no call on the player who rolled into Hasselbeck's leg and put him out for four weeks. That's exactly the type play that they made the new rule to prevent. Yet, it wasn't called.

Just get a monkey to spin the wheel..... you'll do just as well as the refs do now.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yup. He also played a little in KC, as much as he could, with his hamstring injury.

13. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Kiel is a good player, but he is a product of what his teammates do around him. quite frankly, your opinion is what sucks. what has he done (or not done) this year on the field thats made him "suck"? yea tony g had a big day, but he was due. hes really not as old as ppl think. and i believe he was marlon's assignment for the most part was he not?