1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Team Report: Notes and Quotes

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    --DT Jamal Williams is coming off one of the better games of his Pro Bowl season. He dominated the middle of the line in Seattle. "Absolutely terrific," coach Marty Schottenheimer described Williams' play. "He really, really controlled the center of that line and his performance was evident; all the tape did was reconfirm it."

--QB Philip Rivers caught some heat form the CBS announcers Sunday for not spiking the ball to kill the clock when the Chargers -- who were out of time outs -- were driving for the winning score. But Schottenheimer said Rivers did the right thing by forcing the issue. "We didn't want to spike it," Schottenheimer said. "We felt like he had a little but of rhythm and to spike the ball and give everybody a chance to calm down may have worked to our disadvantage. So we went ahead and kept it going."
    --A review of the game tape led to Shawne Merriman being credited with another half of a sack. That gave him 3.5 in the game and a league-high 16 on the year. But Merriman claims he isn't interested in the sack totals. "I hear about it and I know about it because so many people are in tune about numbers, but what really matters to me is how far we go in this run," Merriman said. "I'll get more satisfaction from that."
    Someone not satisfied with what Merriman is doing is Miami DE Jason Taylor. Merriman could be Taylor's strongest rival for the Defensive Player of the Year award and Taylor doesn't think that is right. Not after Merriman was suspended for four games for testing positive for steroids. "You really shouldn't be able to fail a test like that and play in this league, to begin with," Taylor said Wednesday. "To make the Pro Bowl and all the other awards, I think you're walking a fine line of sending the wrong message. A performance-enhancing drug is, obviously, what it is. You enhance your performance by doing that. You fail that test, I think it's not right, it's against the rules and ultimately I think it's sending the wrong message to the youth in America and the people who look at this game not only as entertainment but also to learn lessons from it."
    --Cards S Robert Griffith was a standout at San Diego State.
    --Cards coach Dennis Green has a home in Del Mar. Some speculate he'll be there more than he wants when the season ends and he gets canned.
    --Cards S Hanik Milligan was a Pro Bowl special teams player last year for the Chargers.
    --Cards T Brandon Gorin played the 2001 season in San Diego.
    --Rivers said it's hard to ignore how close the Chargers players are to each other. "Guys stay late Wednesdays and Thursdays, everybody wants to be around and that's not always the case," he said. "Those kind of things win you a couple of extra games, I thin they do."
    --Schottenheimer spent his Xmas like many other NFL fans, watching the Jets play the Dolphins. Except Schottenheimer was more than a casual observer as Brian Schottenheimer, his son, is in his first year the Jets' offensive coordinator. "It's a lot harder to sit on the sideline and watch and really care about whether somebody wins or loses than it does when you're standing on the sideline because you're busy and you're working at it," the elder Schottenheimer said.
    BY THE NUMBERS: 251 -- Rushing yards LaDainian Tomlinson needs to reach 2,000 on the year. His career high is 243. QUOTE TO NOTE: "I think the Chargers are definitely a Super Bowl team." -- Seattle RB Shaun Alexander, after getting an up-close look at the Chargers in Sunday's loss in Seattle.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2006
    When Rivers Got that game winning TD pass to VJ. The CBS announcers were praising the decision