1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Teams applying old-school formula for postseason success

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jan 13, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Why even play the game. We are out matched.

What a joke

Scoreboard baby! :bolt:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d815b0f5f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

New York Jets

The Jets, who won five of their final six regular-season games to secure a wild-card berth, led the league in rushing with a whopping 172.2-yard per-game average. While Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene have been credited for spearheading the Jets' dynamic rush attack, it has been the exceptional play of their offensive line that has led to the team's recent dominance. The trio of tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, guard Alan Faneca and center Nick Mangold has given the Jets an impenetrable wall on the left side of the line, and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has repeatedly directed the team's running game in their direction.

Utilizing a mixture of outside zone runs with occasional counters, the Jets have bludgeoned opponents at the point of attack and have racked up over 200 yards on the ground in each of their last three games. More impressively, the team has done it with a one-dimensional game plan that has limited Mark Sanchez to fewer than 20 throws in each of those games.

Of course, the presence of the league's top defense has helped, as the Jets have held their last seven opponents under 16 points and forced seven turnovers in the last three games. Cornerback Darrelle Revis has keyed the surge by eliminating the opponent's top receiver, which has allowed Rex Ryan to attack quarterbacks with a host of exotic blitzes that disrupt their timing in the pocket.

Against the Chargers on Sunday in the vivisional round, the Jets' hardnosed style could prove to be problematic. For as hot as San Diego has been during their 11-game winning streak, their vulnerabilities perfectly suit the Jets' strengths. Without Pro Bowl DT Jamal Williams controlling the middle, the Chargers have struggled stopping teams committed to running the ball between the tackles. :icon_huh:

Although San Diego's big-play offense has masked the deficiency by routinely forcing opponents to abandon their ground-based game plans by creating shootouts, the Jets' stubborn refusal to put the ball in the air will unquestionably test the Chargers' mettle.

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    embrace the hate. :tup:

3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Yeah, we struggled for 3 games. Then this happened:

--Rivera introduced the rotation to keep the 3-man line fresh, including a number of big, strong run-stuffers who can stop the run as long as they are fresher than their competition.

--We made Ellison a starter, who shows that his combine BP crown amongst safeties was well-earned by stuffing the run, too.

--We made Oliver play more, who also stops the run well.

--We made Siler a starter and gave Dobbins a greater role. They stop the run well, too.

Seriously, if these idiots want to critique us, as least show some evidence that you at least made an effort to watch one of our games. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    If I didn't know better I'd swear we were the 5 seed going into someone else's home who had the bye week.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'd swear we were some team that got lucky to make the playoffs because two teams that got into the playoffs decided to rest their starters and that the last time we faced a good team prior to that we lost and.......

oh wait:lol:

6. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    :icon_rofl: phuck the jets

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    People just ASSUME the Charger defense, a defense that is completely healthy save for Jamal, is not going to show up.

"Oh the Chargers are 20th vs the run"..... nevermind the fact that they've given up only 1 huge rushing game since week 4.
    "Oh the Chargers can't run the ball".......nevermind that the Jets are 32nd in the NFL in pass attempts and 28th in overall passer rating.
    "Oh the Jets have Darrelle Revis to shutdown V-Jack".......nevermind that Gates also had 1000+yds, and that 6'5 Floyd will matchup with 5'9 Lito Shepherd.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The Bolt's offense dates back to Sir Sidney, that's about 50 year's ago. Yes we are going old school, San Diego style. :tup: :abq2: :icon_toast:

9. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    phuck the talking heads too. we took down the nfc east and we still get no respect.

10. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Let us hope this is a familiar scene on Sunday

[​IMG]

11. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I'm getting real tired of hearing that we should fear the Jets. I took a look at their schedule and wasn't impressed. They went 3 - 2 against playoff teams this season. This includes the following:
    A split with division rival New England
    Getting beat 24 - 10 by the Saints
    Outscoring Indy's scrubs in week 16
    Playing a demoralized and beat up Bengals squad in week 17 (and the wild-card game)

Sunday's division round game will be hard fought, but barring a collapse of near Biblical proportions I believe the Chargers will be too much for the Jets to handle. More talent, more rest and more time for Norv to gameplan.

It sounds to me like the Chargers are very focused and business-like and the only distaction so far has been the release of LT's "Electric glide" video. I think we will be fine.

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This game kind of reminds me of the Colts/Chiefs wild card game from 06. The Chiefs had one of the best running games in the league led by Larry Johnson. Indy had the 32nd ranked run defense. Everyone assumed that the Chiefs would physically dominate the Colts. What happened? The Chiefs didn't get a first down until midway through the third quarter and the Colts won easily, despite an awful game from Manning. I don't expect Rivers to have a bad game, but I do expect the Chargers D to man up like they have been doing in key situations all year.

13. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Let's hope the playoff curse that hangs over the head of every male Schottenheimer is alive and well this weekend... go Bolts.

14. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    34-10 Bolt

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Excellent comparison.

And Shawne Merriman is our version of Bob Sanders, he's going to get healthy in the playoffs and transform our defense.:tup: Not that I think its not good enough already to beat the Jets.

16. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    This is only a story because it's New York.

If it was the Browns, or Texans, nobody would be writing about it.

It's New York/East Coast media for you.:tdown:

17. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    And yet over at theganggreen.com board they're playing the no-respect card every third post.

18. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Exactly. I don't know why it took so long for someone to say it.

19. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    The same formula that allowed the Jets to lose nearly half their games.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I figure I'll be banned from there before day's end. :icon_twisted:

21. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Uh oh... :icon_rofl:

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hey ... when they only want to listen & respect their stats, what's a guy to do? :lol: