1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Teams pursuing Whitehurst?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Mar 6, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes, but not extremely. Cro had major issues and had been telling his team mates he wanted to be traded (According to Jammer when interviewed last week). So the Chargers really didn't have much choice but to trade him, and teams knew that. They had no need to trade Whitehurst, and obviously the seahawks knew that

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    This is why we'd be smart not to "shop" Merriman and Sproles, they're worth more if people think we want to keep them.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    True, but I would still seek to trade Sproles. If we can get a 2nd or more, pull the trigger. If not, hold out for a 2nd or keep him if you can't

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You would be inviting tampering ... wait ... that is already happening. :lol:

I like the idea the team can pimp a player to improve the team. :yes: I don't think it affects their market value. Look what just happened to Whitey.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Exactly.

My new pipe dream scenario:icon_high:...Trade Merriman to Arizona for a 1st. Then package Sproles and the 40 pick to Cinci for their 1st.

21) Brandon Graham
    26) Ryan Mathews
    28) Terrance Cody

:lol: Rediculous I know, but fun to dream about.

6. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    :five:

Possible, but not probable

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think getting a 1st for Merriman is very likely. He needs to prove he is healthy and back to form before most teams would part with a 1st for him. In a perfect world, I would trade Phillips for a 2nd and resign Merriman. But I doubt Merriman stays

8. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +100
    All this talk about trading Merriman. Am I crazy to believe that it takes a while to FULLY recover from an injury and surgury of his kind?:icon_shrug: Is it completely out of the question that he recaptures his speed and power? I mean, it was looking like we had another great pass rusher ala 55 for a while.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yes

.....unless roids become legal or undetectable or the brother gets some kickass HGH (Human Growth Hormone - you know ... the **** that will make a whale walk on land). :yes:

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Even if he becomes a MONSTER again (unlikely), I don't believe AJ wants to commit the MONSTER $$$ It would take to keep him.

If this guy has no future here we might as well trade him and get what we can for the long term.

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Rivers got monster money and Merriman is still only 25...will to be 26 in the end of May. Probably wont get as much as Ware got but even if he does after a monster season, Ware didnt get near as much as i thought he would of.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Comparing Rivers and Merriman? Are you serious?:lol:

AJ has already expressed his concerns with Merriman's lifestyle. Merriman himself said he might have just played his last game as a Charger........no doubt hoping we wouldn't RFA Tag him if the CBA failed. Almost every "expert" or "insider" involved with the Chargers believes he's just going to play out this season and walk after 2010.

There are also reports that teams have discussed pursuing him, and if thats the case I'd rather see us get talent for the future rather than a 1yr rental that may or may not pay off.

13. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    What i am comparing is you saying AJ wont give monster contracts. He has and Merrimans wont be as bad as we think looking at what Ware got.

I dont care what teams are saying. Im sure there is plenty of interest but who wants to give up a 1st and 3rd?...or even a first? Dont mean it will happen. AJ may not like Merrimans extra activities but he works as hard as anyone on the team so he should just let him play. LT did extra things too and if Merriman is back to form, he would be an idiot not to resign him.

I dont listen to what the "experts" say because they are usually wrong and dont really know what AJ will do.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776

Obviously its unlikely that someone will sign the compensation and give up a 1st and 3rd for him. But teams like the Cardinals, Browns, Bills, Dolphins, Redskins, and even the Broncos and Chiefs... are all new 3-4 teams looking to put the pieces together, and most of them have little or no defensive leadership.

Its not impossible to fathom that someone like the Dolphins or Redskins would give up a 2011 first round pick (and maybe some late ones) to pick up a guy like Merriman in an attempt to win now.

15. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Id be suprised but you never know. Didnt think Whitehurst was worth what we got. And he isnt but ill take it.

Id rather get rid of Phillips before Merriman. If Merriman is close to what he was, we have a great player again. He should be 100% this year as far as his knee. Not sure how bad his foot is.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No, but since AJ Smith's puppet has been saying for 2 years that there is no chance of Merriman getting a new deal, the assumption is that it came from AJ, so get something this year before you lose him for nothing next year.

I understand some don't believe that it is a foregone conclusion that he will not get a new contract, but many do and that is the reason for the trade talk

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Seriously? The guy popped in April. Any doctor and chemist will say that every bit of it will be out of the system within 30-60 days. So by the time the season started 4+ months later, there was no roids in his system and he still had a career year. Then he had another good year while playing for a bad DC that had him drop into coverage a lot. He then got hurt.

Will he ever recover from the injury? I have no idea. But to say Roids had anything to do with his production is just ignorant