1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tebow Time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Oct 11, 2011.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I'm glad he's finally getting his chance. Denver has treated him like shyte his whole career and he has proven that he deserves a shot. Even if you hate the guy you at least know that he's been thrown under the bus the past 2 years. Yet, he almost led a comeback against us while getting the players and fans fired up about something (for once). I despise the donks, but it's good to see Tebow playing now. I'm really curious to see how he does for the rest of the season...

Thoughts on Tebow playing?

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    It's easy to succeed when you aren't game planned for. I don't think Tebow will have the same success consistently week in and week out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    I won't say it's easy to succeed if you're not the one gameplanned for. If it were that easy teams would bring their backups in a lot in late game situations just to throw the other team off guard.

But it is easier, especially if your style is much different from the starter. Orton is a pocket passer while Tebow is a running QB.

I don't foresee Tebow having this kind of success week in and week out. Especially when you take into account that the score doesn't even get as close as it does if the Chargers don't help them out with a turnover.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Tebow is a great dude. Great athlete. I just dont think he has it in him to be a good NFL QB. When teams gameplan a spy to watch his running and force him to pass to win a game, I just don't see it happening. He completely missed 4 or 5 wide open passes Sunday. He is not accurate, and his instincts tell him to tuck and run way too often. Ask Vick how that works out in the NFL.

5. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    We're on the same page then.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    People are already starting to make the "he finds ways to win" arguments on other forums. :rolleyes:

7. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    He finds ways to make a play, he doesn't win games. How many games has he won as a starter?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think it is premature to judge him at all. How many games has he actually started? remember Denver replaced their coaching staff in the off season, and even Orton has struggled to pick up the new offense fully to this point.

9. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    He started 3 of them to conclude last season, and lost 2 of them. He beat Houston and lost to divisional rivals Oakland & us. Their upcoming games are:

@ Miami​
    Detroit​
    @ Oakland​
    @ Kansas City​
    NY Jets​
    @ San Diego​
    @ Minnesota​
    Chicago​
    New England​
    @ Buffalo​
    Kansas City​

Looking at Denver’s remaining schedule, I’d be surprised if they win 4 more games this season, but at least they’ll know what they have with Tim Tebow, so they’ll know if they need to fish or cut bait with him. Part of the problem, and reason for the impatience to get him on the field is how high he was drafted. Had he been a 4th round pick or later, they could groom him for several seasons if need be.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    This is precisely the time to judge him. He hasn't started any games, so premature judgements are the norm. We all get this chance to judge him unfairly so here's me shot:
    He sucks as an NFL quarterback. I'm basing this on film of him playing in the NFL, not college. Many people allude to his college career when talking about how he "knows how to win". Our good friend Jay Cutler had a losing season every year of his college career, did anyone argue that Jay "knows how to win". No, no one did. Well, maybe Cutler isn't the best example, but what I'm getting at is that other NFL quarterbacks are sitting on the bench at this moment that are better than Tebow (one is sitting on the bench in Denver). The dude couldn't beat out Orton or Quinn..and now he's the starter? College means nothing in the NFL. You have it or you don't. This kid doesn't have it...from all the evidence available. He has a chance now to prove me wrong.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    How have they treated him like shyte? Because they didn't hand a guy the starting job who didn't earn it? Every report out of training camp was that he was terrible at throwing the ball, and we saw it in person on Sunday. Starting jobs are for people who earn it, not guys who were drafted high, and Tebow has NEVER earned the job.

As someone who lives in Denver, I think it is hilarious that he is starting. It shows that Fox and Elways have no balls and caved into what the fans wanted even though he wasn't good enough to play. Fox was even on XX last week and said exactly that, he isn't good enough as a QB right now to play in this league, yet they caved in and he showed Fox was correct by completing only 40% of his passes

• Like Like x 3
  12. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    He started 3 games at the end of last season, winning one of them but his Broncos scored more than 21 points in each of them – add that to his near victory on Sunday (in both losses to us, he brought his team back from double digits down, to being within a “Hail Mary” pass completion of winning) and that is enough to warrant a second, longer look at him as Denver’s starter, now that their season is basically shot anyway and neither Orton or Quinn are under contract for next season.

In other news, Dolphins fans are a little bent that the orginization plans to honor Tebow & his Florida Gators championship squad in their next game, (which happens to coincide with Tebow’s 1st start this year) and are using the opportunity to draw numerous orange clad Gators fans to Sun Life Stadium, to cheer for their old QB and likely against their home professional team. It’ll be like a road game for the Dolphin faithful, and they’re less than pleased about it.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...inst-us-on-quot-Gator-Day-quot-in-OUR-stadium&

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He also completed only 50% of his passes (40% on Sunday), and if you look at the 3 games last year, One he threw for only 138 yards (Oakland), one was against the 32nd ranked pass defense (Houston), and one was against us in a meaningless game in week 17 when he did absolutely nothing until late in the game when we took our foot off the gas pedal on offense and went into soft zone coverage on defense (Sound familiar?)

14. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Actually, both teams were trying real hard to win that Week 17 game last season. There is always a lot of pride on the line when playing against divisional opponents, especially when neither one of you is going to the playoffs. We were already eliminated from postseason contention by virtue of our loss at Cincinnati, but really wanted to finish the season with a winning record.

Denver wanted to end the season on a high note, and have good momentum coming into this year and like last Sunday, a game that should’ve been a blowout ended up becoming a nail-biter that the Broncos had a chance to win at the last second. In that game, Tebow got a couple of late tosses at the end zone, but Sunday he only got 1 and that’s fortunate, because he almost completed it. In both games, Norv seemed to take his foot off tha gas pedal once we were up by alot, but in the Week 17 contest, the Broncos were aided by yet another kick returned for a touchdown and on Sunday, we gave them a chance with some late turnovers

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yeah, the Chargers were until the 4th quarter when we had a 33-14 lead, and they gave up 2 more TD's in complete garbage time (I was at the game, and the stadium was nearly empty because the game was over)

16. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    They have potential to be 6-10, yet they'll probably end up being 4-12. Regardless of how well Tebow does they will still be a garbage team. They just don't have it in them to win games... Yet I'm really looking forward to seeing how the team plays under Tebow, and I wonder if he'll provide the spark that they need in order for them to succeed

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    What team does he play for? Denver? Yeah, I don't care...

/snark

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    They’ll be a bit more exciting for awhile, and Tebow may lead them to a victory or 2 that they otherwise may not have gotten, but I don’t think they’ll sweep Kansas City, who have won their last 2 games – Denver may beat them once, but I doubt if they’ll beat them twice.

I also don’t think they’ll win in Minnesota (who has led in every game despite all their 2nd half collapses) and I have a hard time seeing them beat the Raiders in Oakland, especially the way the Raiders can run the ball.

19. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Tebow is a joke. Cam Newton is the real deal. Tebow would have done well in Miami when they were running the wild cat though.

20. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Cam’s looking good right now, but his team is still 1 – 4, just like Denver is.

Let’s not forget that even Ryan Leaf won his 1st two games as a pro, before the wheels totally came off in Kansas City and the rest is part of notorious NFL history! :roflmao:

21. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    True True. I don't think teboy has a chance. Look at how much mike vick gets hit and blitzed and hes a way better athelete and more experienced. Teboy will get chewed up by blitzes. Imagine teboy having to play oakland or the jets.

22. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    They’re both on Denver’s schedule this season, so we’ll see how he does against them because at this point, the starting job is probably Tebow’s for the remainder of this season, barring injury.

Last season Oakland beat him 39 – 23 in his 1st NFL start, before he beat Houston by a point the following week and almost beat us in Week 17.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    As was pointed out, Chargers were up 33-14 and the only reason they "almost beat us" is because we let off the gas and went into prevent defense just like Sunday

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    This is a classic case of "be careful what you wish for".

Broncos fans are in for a reality check, though by being such blind Tebow worshipers they have sort of already proven they don't know what reality is anyways.

The Broncos as a team have 2 options: Start or Trade him. That's it. They have to know if all this "HURRR HE JUST KNOWS HOW TO WIN HURRRR" nonsense is going to pay off at this level or not. Personally I don't think it will, but man, that whole stadium came alive when he stepped on the field. You could feel the positive vibes they got for seeing #15 on the field and he damn near brought them back (though I blame US more than I credit Tebow). If the team rallies behind him, it's possible he may be able to cut it as an NFL QB. So what if he's not the best passer, or can't quite read the defenses yet, or whatever. If they simplify the O and cater it to his strengths it's not unfathomable that they could have a bit of success with him.

I'm just saying I'm not gonna be the one to say "NOPE, NEVER GONNA HAPPEN" when it comes to Tim Tebow.

25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Am I the only one already burned-out on the
    "We need to play Tebow, so we can see what we have" line?

Denver, I could save you some time: You have a nice guy (maybe a little full
    of himself--probably due to success in the college game + some absurd #15 worshippers)
    who runs well and is exciting as Hell.
    Unfortunately, despite two years of "fixing" his mechanics, he's still
    not good at passing...a key requirement of quarterbacks in the pro game.

Am I advising Bronco management not to give Timmy a shot?
    Absolutely not!
    As a Charger fan, I would love to see Tebow get a full 2011 season audition!!
    Maybe 2012, too (like the movie!). Please, have it go on and on...
    I (and the rest of the NFL) promise to act all shocked when it's 'learned' that he isn't an NFL quarterback

p.s. "Woof, woof!!"
    "What's that Lassie?!?"
    "Woof...woof-woof!!"
    "Timmy's trapped in a well?!?" (naw, his throws just look like it)

26. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    that emotion is very real and powerful. it had been building up and they needed a spark. that emotion wont be there every week. especially when reality sets in. "they" want to make him the next pretty boy all american QB and he has a fuggen cult following so i get the hype and give him props for going in there and making it interesting. but there is going to come a time when the bolts D pay that MFer back for all that smooth dancing he always does against us.. and when that happens, somebody make the gif for me.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    And the press seems to have latched onto Teboy's jockstrap, making him look like the second coming of Payaton Manning. All I have seen on ESPN is footage from the game, making his runs and a couple of his passes. They didn't even acknowledge the fact that the Bolts still beat the Bwonkos, it was all about the new Joe jesus. And if he doesn't part the dead sea and notch up a couple of wins, I guess they can go to their #3, Bradee Quinn...

• Like Like x 1
  28. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    They also don't mention that he went 4/10 with one of those passes being a screen.

29. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Yea what the hell, I noticed that too on the half time show at night, they showed Tebow highlights and just talked about him and finished with "Chargers win..." etc. What the **** is that?

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Tebow was the story of the game. Sucks but it's true.