1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

tebow

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rickochey, Jan 8, 2012.

1. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I am not sure if this is the right forum for this thread. I did look but I didn't see where this can be posted.

With the success of Tebow does Josh McDaniels look like he knew what he was doing?

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Funny that the Broncos are beating a team we can never seem to beat.

3. QBGuru

QBGuru BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if McDaneils would have tried implementing the option offense as frequently as Denver has though...

4. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I don't think Tim Tebow is a great quarterback in the tradition of John Elway, Dan Fouts, Joe Montana etc. by any stretch of the imagination. He does NOT have a great arm, and he makes a lot of rookie mistakes. But he's got guts, and more, he's got an enormous amount of heart; and as corny as that may sound to a lot of y'all, it counts for everything when you lack raw talent as Tebow does.

I'll admit it, I think the kid's a winner, and not just because he took the Broncos to the playoffs this year. I wish people would trash the endless, unoriginal jokes about 'Tebowing' and stop making fun of him for being so open about his Christian faith---this young man is something special, the likes of which we've never seen before and probably will never see again. It's refreshing to see a sports figure who isn't spoiled by his fame, who's decent both on and off the field and who isn't afraid to stand up (or kneel down) for what he believes in. He may be a throwback to a time and place that have long since ceased to exist, but I for one am glad he's there to remind all of us that sometimes, nice guys actually finish FIRST. :)

• Like Like x 5
  5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I think a lot of teams could have beaten that Steelers team we saw today @ home. Even as beat up as they were it took OT for the Broncos to eliminate them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    It really doesn't matter how he beat the Steelers.....the fact remains...Tebow will lead his team into round two of the playoffs...the Steelers will be playing golf.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Oh, no doubt. Every playoff win is a good one.

Hope the Broncos will be joining the Steelers on the course next week.

8. newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    I just hate the media hype, that's probably what does it for me. He has taken a team and obviously inspired them to do great things, and i don't hate the person himself.
    I hate Tebow/Broncos for being a division rival, and going somewhere we couldn't get the past 2 seasons for sure.
    But the amount of attention he gets, it just drives me nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    • The fact that Tebow had 316 yards passing and averaged 31.6 yards per pass in the game didn't escape notice on Sunday night. Tebow wore "John 3:16" on his eye black in the 2009 BCS Championship game and has since become identified with the famous Bible message. The coincidental stats caused millions of fans to perform Google searches on the Bible passage in the past 24 hours. Here's one more unbelievable stat: John Ourand of Sports Business Journal reports that the final quarter-hour television rating for the Broncos-Steelers game was, you guessed it, 31.6.

;)

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    God's message is not about fame, or football.

• Like Like x 2
  11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I always just kind of assumed everyone knew John 3:16. Guess that sign guy really did a bad job all those years.

I think Tebow is great and I think his open expression of his faith is incredibly refreshing. The guy takes so much abuse and he never flinches. Good for him. Didn't he have like the second best selling jersey? I mean, I don't want the Broncos to win or anything, so I feel kind of bad that he's on that team, but I can't deny how much I enjoyed seeing him deny all the haters and beat the Steelers.

• Like Like x 3
  12. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    That's some pretty cool information. Anyone who beats the Steelers is okay in my book.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The message has always been that if you live a life close to God's teachings he would provide for you. Maybe God is less a tebow fan then he is a fan of people who live a good life. Lord knows we have enough athletes who live and act like schmucks, perhaps its time to see someone who does the opposite have success. I think we all feel similarly about our QB - Philip Rivers - who is classy, respectable and good of a person as you could ask for. Same principle different team.

Leave it to the Jew to serve as Rabbi for you heathens ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I find it interesting that so many people love his open expression of his beliefs.

I wonder how many people would feel the same way if there was an unabashed atheist doing the same thing. What if there were some kind of universal sign for "I don't believe in God" and every time this mythical player did ANYTHING, he had to make a blatant show of this particular gesture. And what if this mythical player felt the need to make sure that he was always telling everyone he was an atheist. I'm guessing it would piss a lot of people off, and they wouldn't be so accepting of his open expression of his beliefs.

• Like Like x 5
  15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    To be fair, HE doesn't shove it down out throats. It's not like every other sentence out of his mouth is "God" this or "Jesus" that. We can thank the media for inflating that and over-publicizing that aspect of him - why? because it stirs controversy (good or bad, they don't care... controversy sells copy). To be honest, if the media weren't so all over his jock and making it seem like anyone who is at all critical of him is, by their definition, "a hater" or "just hating" on Tebow irrationally or because they don't like his personality, I'd probably be a fan of the kid (assuming he played for some team like Jacksonville or San Francisco or pretty much anywhere outside the AFC West). It'd be hard not to be when he's fairly humble (I don't think quite as much as he's made out to be, but I also don't think that ego is intentional on his part), he's the epitome of a hard-worker and team player, he's well-spoken (and educated), and he's a great role-model for the younger generations.

Had he not been a Bronco, while I'd probably still be critical of Tebow until he put it all together I'd have been pulling for him to do so the whole way - just the same as I'll be pulling for Robert Griffin to succeed so long as he's not drafted by the Chiefs.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I used the term "so many people" referring to the fans or observers who bring this up. I have seen it several times. Thus I am speaking of the people who mention this, and not of Tebow himself. He does mention God a lot, and point at the sky a lot. I was just trying to point out that people love that because they can touch pee pees over how they believe the same thing. If it was something other than what they themselves believe, they probably wouldn't find it so "refreshing."

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    That's it in a nutshell. Call me old-fashioned, but I love it when sports figures (and other celebrities) who don't lie, cheat, beat their wives/kids, run dog-fighting operations, or blow all their millions on booze and broads get recognition for being both good at their jobs AND being good people. :tup:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    My wife had a much better example. How refreshing would his open belief be if he were a Muslim, and praising Allah all the time? People would be losing their sh_t. But since he's Christian, it's cool.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sh!t .... they'd be passing laws against it then. :rolleyes:

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot over?

He can say what he want and praise who he wants. If you don't like it, hit the mute button, don't watch, go get a beer. The right to say what you want isn't just for you alone.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Of course he does, Conc. But SL is right on target with the Muslim analogy.

The hypocrisy reeks.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I dont know who would be mad. They are covered by freedom of religion as well as the Christians are.

But ignorance is a powerful force among us 'educated' westerners so I am told.

I wonder how many people would be mad at Rivers if they found out he was religious went to Church and praised God? Which he does... He even points to the heavens after some TDs *GASP!*

:roflmao:

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And the Seahawks knocked the Saints out last year. Crappy teams sneak into the playoffs and win an upset from time to time. The Broncos are this years crappy team that will get exposed in the 2nd round just liek they did the 1st timethey played the Pats this year (41-23)

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629

He does have the right to say what he wants, and people have the right to criticize and bash him for what he says. I also agree with you that it would be different if he wasn't Christian. Not sure who has seen it, but there is a show on TLC called All American Muslim which follows some Muslim families who live in Michigan. This created enough of an uproar with some Christian groups, that they pressured Lowes to stop sponsoring the show, which is why I will never shop at Lowes again

IMO, it isn't about his religious beliefs, it is his in your face approach to them. Rivers is just as religious as are probably 90% of the league, but they don't throw it in everyone face, so people don't care to bash them. It says a lot when Kurt Warner is willing to tell him that he needs to take a step back on what he says[/quote]

• Like Like x 2
  25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If you don't know who would be mad, regardless of their freedom of religion rights, then you haven't been paying attention.

Just google Rick Santorum for an introduction to idiocy & bigotry.

I'll back away now before I start something that doesn't belong in this section.

26. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Way to completely miss my point.

I did not say that he should not be free to do or say as he pleases. I was merely wondering aloud if all of those people who find those open beliefs refreshing would also find his open beliefs refreshing if the QB of the Broncos was Mohammed Aalam and he were constantly pointing to the sky and praising Allah in his interviews. My guess is no.

And to be clear I have seen people post that on Facebook, say it elsewhere, so I'm not just talking about things said here at Bolt Talk. It's a general attitude that Tebow is "refreshing" because he believes the same stuff as the people who find it "refreshing."

27. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +55
    And the Steelers time of possession was 31 minutes 6 seconds.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am not replying to just you. There are multiple posts, multiple articles and multiple people outside of this thread beeotching about Tebow being religious.

That said, on the other side of the coin, I am not sure anyone will be more vilified if he gets busted with some weed like that swimmer did.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Or a young Indonesian boy. :devilish:

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Oh buck... that is soo beyond facepalm...:confused:

:roflmao: