1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tech nerds - Need advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shamrock, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I want to be able to burn DVD's from DirectTV programming (ie - digitally copy Chargers games live and then have the ability to make copies/edit down).

I need a new 'puter to do this.

Would this one do it?

Any other recommendations? What else would I need to buy to do it?

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I gotta Time Warner DVR that I have the Colts game saved on. and a Sylvania combination VCR/DVD player-recorder. Jes haven't figgered out howta copy the DVR to the DVD rcorder. :icon_sad: :no:

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    There are various ways to do this. I have a ReplayTV which is a DVR, and I can download videos from it to a PC or Mac, then convert it to MPEG-2 format for DVD's. First, what receiver do you have from directTV? Does it have DVR capabilites? Third party DVR's such as Tivo, now come with the capability to connect to and download videos to your PC and allow you to convert it to various formats such as iPod and PSP and DVD.

You can do what Wonderslug suggested and get a DVD Recorder, it's an easy way to record, however, you will have to record to mupltiple discs since the capacity of one disc cannot hold 3 hours+ of video. You can also get a Windows Media PC with TV tuner. That way you can record directly to your hard drive, edit out the commercials then burn to DVD. Once you decide which way to go, let me know and I will point to video guides online that will show you how to get your digital recordings to dvd.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think that's how I want to do it. I don't have a TIVO - just the regular DirecTV box.

6. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Just get a cheap DVD Recorder like a LiteOn ($99.00 at CC or BB)...
    Connect the output of the D*TV unit to the "LINE 1" inputs of the DVD Recorder...
    You should be able to record any signal that comes thru the D* Tuner onto the DVD Recorder...I find I can get a Charger game on one DVD-R in the 4 hour mode that still looks way better than any VHS tape...

7. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    But ... it won't record a whole game? Right? I need to be able to record all at once, in case no one is home so I can set it up to record.

I'm on the road, and the wife works some Sundays, so might not be able to be here when a game is on.

8. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    I find the SLP (I think) 4 hour mode to work quite well...I have recorded games for Toby and he said they look better than his cable...:lol:

9. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
  10. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Okay.

So, then can I somehow link the DVR to my puter to copy/edit, and then burn an edited version? Do I need special software for that?

11. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    You should be able to do basic editing (taking out commercials) right on the machine before finalizing...
    Otherwise, you rip the DVD-R on to your HD and you can use software like Roxio to edit...then burn to DVD from the Computer...

12. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    On the DVR?

13. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Does your computer have a DVD Burner? If not, you can buy one for about $39.00 internal or about $75.00 External...then, you can take the edited version down to DVD from your computer after editing...

14. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Well, actually, on the DVD Recorder...most units (even the inexpensive ones) have basic editing features on the machine...you should be able to take out the commercials if you use a DVD-RW, which is re-writable so you can erase it when you are done and rerecord over it for the next game...

15. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I have a DVD drive on it. Never used it. :icon_mrgreen:

16. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    So here is what I suggest...
    Get the Lite On DVD Recorder $119 @ Comp USA
    http://reviews.cnet.com/LiteOn_LVW_...tuner/4505-6463_7-31691933.html?tag=pdtl-list

Hook up the D*TV outputs to the Line 1 Inputs on the Lite On
    Record the game on a DVD-RW in the SLP mode
    Rip the DVD-RW onto your Computer
    Edit out the commercials with Roxio software
    Burn onto DVD-R from the computer DVD burner...

17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Okay. In preseason I'll try it, and pm you when I faak it up.

18. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    It's pretty easy stuff Sham...we'll git'er done...:icon_mrgreen:

19. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I appreciate it.

I've been recording games for Sandolf for three years. The postage for VHS tapes to Germany is freaking expensive. This will cut the postage, and get me upgraded to the 21st Century .... :)

20. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Yup...way cheaper...

21. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Plus - the wife wants to cut down storage space for her tapes.

22. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Give the liteon DVD recorder a try. It is a cost effective solution. You may not have the best quality, but you will be able to fit the entire game on one dvd-r.

23. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Exactly Ray...and trust me, the SLP DVD Quality is still WAAAAAY better than VHS...

24. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Why Lite-on and not another brand? Cost?

25. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Mr. O

You suggested the LiteOn LVW-1105HC. What is the difference between that model and others by LiteOn?

Here's a list of eBay ones.

26. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Yes...purely cost...the Lite On is a very good bang for the buck...but is limited in features...
    You can step it up a notch and get a Sony GX315 for about $169.00 that is a MUCH better DVD recorder and also records to the newer DVD+DL (dual layer) discs which have twice the recording time as single layer discs, but are about $2.00 a disc...
    The good thing about the DL discs is that you can record at the SP speed (about the same excellent quality as the DVD movies you rent) and get over 4 hours on one disc...the SP speed on the single layer machines only gets you 2 hours at that high quality recording...
    If you have the dough, get the Sony with DL capability...you get the great PQ (picture quality) and can get a full NFL game on one disc (4 hours)...
    The single layer Lite On will give you 4 hours at SLP speed with PQ about equal to VHS at SP (2 hour mode)...
    The Sony GX-315 was just replaced by the GX-330 so you can get a pretty good deal on one about now...

27. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Sham,
    The higher up you go (even with the Lite on's) the more features you get...
    These ebay machines by Lite On record to more types of media (there are several types ie: DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW..there really isn't much difference between the different types of media although DVD-R does boast that it plays in more DVD players than +R. and is actually a bit cheaper then the +R...this is basically another Beta vs. VHS war)...
    I suggest getting the Sony DL machine (GX-315)...as I said, you can prolly find one for under $150.00 now that the GX-330 has replaced it in Sony's lineup...

28. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Okay. I'll look for one.

Glad you didn't say an "8-track vs. cassette war" ...... :icon_mrgreen:

29. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Thanks l...Will you help me build a deck if I buy you lots of beer?
    :icon_rofl: