1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tech/networking help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Boltjolt, May 22, 2007.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Not sure where to put this but it will get the most looks here

Ill give you the facts:

I have a wireless router. Its a Linksys 2.4 ghz 802.11g w/ speedbooster.

My computer is a AMD 64 Athlon chip which i believe has a firewall built in it.( a techie would know for sure...i hope)

Now, the router is supposed to be easy to set up and i did everything the instructions said. Loaded software, have it set to automatic as far as assigning an IP addy to other things.

I have a Xbox 360 with a network card and it is being recognised but the router wont assign it a IP so it will connect with it.

Same with our Sony PSP and ill be buying a laptop for my Daughter soon so it will also have a built in wifi and i assume i will get the same message.

What do i need to do to get this freaking thing to work?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Good luck, I had a Linksys, and had problems with it, I got rid of it and now I run a D-Link

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Hmmm, so spend more money on another and put this one on ebay? :lol:

Hopefully it is workable first

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    You can always manually assign the IP address for those iteams

Like for the XBOX 360, go to the network tab and set to manual and for your IP address, assign to to something like 192.168.1.6 and then subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the Gateway to 192.168.1.1
    & DNS : 192.168.1.1

• Like Like x 1
  5. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

Nice...that worked after i got the encription key in there. Now let me ask for the PSP , do i need to use a different IP address and all this if i do that one manually?

Laptop too when i get it?

I dont know abuat about IP numbers, gateway and such.

Thanks for getting me this far

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    So you had the encryption key set. That can cause some problems. As for assigning IP addresses, the only thing you have to remember is not to use the same one twice.

From what I've read, the following settings are true for your network:

The gateway address will always be 192.168.1.1
    The subnet mask will always be 255.255.255.0
    The DNS setting will always be 192.168.1.1

With the IP scheme you have, you can have up to 255 addresses behind the router.

Will the PSP work with encryption? Never used one so I'm not sure.

As far as the laptop goes, it should be able to use encryption. Any brand you're looking for?

7. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Its a 64 bit WEP encryption which is just my phone # and i havent tried to do the PSP manually yet.

So as far as a different IP, i can use say 192.168.1.8 and that would work fine? Guessing it should start with 192.168

Also since im kinda lost at this ill ask...i have a cable modem which is usually fast but it took 30 min to download a 486 mb demo from Xbox live.....is it xbox live that is slow or my network? Hate to have the laptop go slow.

Speaking of which im looking at a HP model dv2315nr or a Gateway model mt3707 which was $599 at Best Buy and should be again this holiday weekend which i think is a good deal. Normally its $749.
    Ill take suggestions and im not looking for the top of the line. Just good value.

Thanks for the input

• Like Like x 1
  8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Your IP addresses range will from 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255; with the first address belonging to your router. So, start from 192.168.1.2 and go on from there. Again, just don't use the same one twice.

A 486mb download in 30 minutes...hmm. Hard to say, as I've got a cable modem and I haven't tried downloading something that big. Keep in mind that some sites/services will cap the download speed to whatever they see fit. Head over to www.dslreports.com and use their speed tests to see how fast your connection is.

As for laptops...I can't stand HP or Gateway. I'm an I.T. consultant and I've dealt with them all. HP and Gateway have THE WORST tech support. Can't tell you how many times I've had to fix something HP or Gateway tech support couldn't.

Like them or not, Apple, Dell and Lenovo (formerly IBM) are the best. Toshiba isn't bad. Others to avoid are Acer and Avartec.

Granted you'll pay more for a Dell and Apple. But they just work. Ignore the rumors you hear about Dell using cheap parts. That's just crap. Lenovo makes really good systems, but like Apple, they're pricey.

If you must get a laptop from retail place like Best Buy, it'll most likely come with Vista installed. Try and find one with at least 1gb of RAM. You'll need it as Vista is RAM hungry.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Can someone tell me what the best notebook is on the market ? I hear Fujitsu has a screen which can be seen in direct daylight and is the ****. I will be mobile across the United States and will probably need an inverter to power the whore while it is in the truck.

I hear Co-Pilot navigation software is tailored to Recreational vehicles and truckers. I will need a kickass "where the phucc am I" software and a geo-locator connected to a laptop/notebook.

Of course this is after you figure out this router ****.

I did not want to start another thread.

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I wondered what your asss was doing onna tech/networking thread!! :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :icon_rofl:

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Wouldn't worry about using an inverter. Just about all the laptop makers have some sort of vehicle power adapter. Couple that with a 9 cell battery and you should be fine.

If your plan is to use it in a vehicle, there are mounting brackets out there.

As for the "best" notebook...that really depends on what you want. Do you want it small, light & powerful? Do you want the huge 17" screen, lots of power but is a beast to carry?

I've worked with all laptops. Fujitsu is one of the lower performers, IMHO. Not really fast or powerful. They do have some touch-screen models, but that's about all they have going for them.

In my experience, Apple, Dell, Lenovo & Toshiba have been the most reliable. You'll pay more for an Apple or Lenovo, but they are great machines. Lenovo's machines are really thin & light.

Also, if you need navigation, why not go with something from Garmin or Tom Tom? From what I've read, they lead the pack when it comes to GPS navigation.

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    The info from Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan is right on the money. I have a lot of experience maintaining many laptops. Apples are very good, but expensive to repair. Get a service contract if you buy one. That pretty much goes for any laptop. IBM/Lenovo are excellent. I really like the Toshibas also. Dells are good machines and probably the best value for price, plus they ussually include at least a year of service. IF it were me, I'd buy the Dell (price rules many of my purchases) and add extended service. If heard great things about the the Panasonic "Tough Book" laptops as far as durability, but don't know that much about their performance.

From what I've heard, Garmin or Tom Tom do lead the pack, with Magellan coming in 3rd in GPS performance.

13. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Just curious.......Toshiba, Gateway, and Apple all use the Intel chips(Apple didnt used to) so how does that make one better than the other?

Ive only used AMD chips because to me they seem to perform better. Ive built one computer when i had windows 98 back in 2000 and it ran good. The one i have now was built but not by me. It was a Fry's built machine and i liked what was in it which is why i bought it, which also has an AMD chip and ive never had even the slightest problem with it for two years now.

Im not network savy but i can build the things altho i havent kept up with the latest things like i used to.

When i look at computers, i look to see what is in them so to me it seems these machines have a lot of the same parts so im wondering how Gateway sux to one person but Toshiba is good?
    I will say i do not know what the motherboards are being used and they dont list it on the tags.

What is it that makes them better to you guys?

And carlsbad bolt fan..thanks for the info, it is a big help.

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    me too

15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    The cpu (intel or amd) isn't the only thing that effect performance. memory speed, motherboard design, HDD, periferals, etc. can all effect the system performance. Also, some laptops are just designed better. Some are designed poorly and have problems such as latches breaking easily or overheating problems for example. For example, I'll never buy a Sony Vaio. I worked a place that we bought hundreds of those things. They were the small cool looking models, but they constantly over heated. We had 10 to 20 out to be repaired at any given time. We eventually replaced them all with Tosibas and we would have one or two out for repair a month. Those we ussually due to user damage such as spilling a beverage, etc. into a laptop.

The larger Sony Vaios might be ok, but I still wouldn't reccomend them. I've also worked with many IBM/Lenovo machines and those seem to always work. Dells do fail at times, but for the price, it's a very good deal. And they don't fail as often as some of the others.

Rule of thumb with laptops. Smaller, sexier laptops are more prone to over heating problems and are easier to damage. Big huge laptops are more durable, but will kill you lugging the thing around if you travel a lot. Most people do best with something in between. What every laptop work for you, get an extended warranty. I don't normally get the warranty on electronics because it becomes out dated quickly, but laptops are expensive (relatively) and do fail much more frequently than desktop computers.

As far as performance and speed, your machine is only as fast as the slowest component. Slow memory, slow MB, or slow HDD, will slow down the overall performance of a fast processor. Also, it is very important to get enough memory these days. Generally you can add memory, but even then, make sure before you buy the laptop that there are additional memory slots for upgrading.

Hope this helps ya.

16. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Yep, good info.

I have an old IBM laptop. I think its a 600 and is only a 200 mhz clock speed with an intel chip ( so i lied, i had one intel system).
    It doesnt work anymore because it says there is a problem with the motherboard. Its been sitting in the closet for a longgggg time now.

It was slow of course but i will say the tech support from IBM was very good. I lost the disk and they sent me a new one quickly and ive sent it to them for minor fixes and had no problems doing that.

This is the first time ive looked at laptops in a while and this one is for my Daughter. Probably get a 14.1" screen to be in the mid range size. Thats not too small is it?

BTW...i got the PSP linked up and is working fine.

17. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Yes, technically they (Apple, Gateway, Toshiba, etc.) use the same chips. The way they put the systems together with other components is what sets them apart. Using Gateway as an example, I've dealt with their tech support as well as their hardware. Both suck. When a computer doesn't even last a year, which I've seen in Gateway machines, that tells me they just don't "get it".

You mention how you liked systems built around AMD. About 2 years ago they did lead the pack for performance. But Intel has surpassed them with their new dual and (more recently) quad core desktop offerings. Laptops built with Intel CPU's have always had the performance edge and longer battery life. Systems with AMD chips tend to be lower priced, but also lower performance.

Count your self among the lucky few that are happy with their Fry's built machine. While they may look good feature-wise, they haven't been the most reliable.

18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I've got a 4 year old IBM ThinkPad. Still works great, and their service is exceptional.

If you can swing it, look for a laptop with a 15.4" screen. Bigger is better here.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I will look into those packages.

Thanks !!

As for the rest of the mental midgets questioning my prowess regarding technical ****, they can kiss my asss. :yes: :icon_twisted:

Whatever I get will be powered by an Intel chip.

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    AMD 64-bit Athlon is teh ****!! :yes: :tup:

21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Not when it's compared to Intel's Core 2 duo, Extreme or Quad-core chips. AMD can't keep up with them. :tup:

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :bow: :icon_toast:

23. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Here are some articles / reviews on this subject:

CNET compares the dual core chips from AMD and Intel (AMD wins, but this was from 11/05, so dated) - http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html

This is from 6/06, so about a year old. Very good read though. - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1970

So after reading these two articles, it looks as if AMD wins, but...

Traditionally AMD has been a better gaming CPU and Intel has made a better number crunching CPU, but with the intro of the Intel Core 2 Duo and Quad processors (summer 2006), they have been burning up the benchmark tests. From all that I've read, AMD doesn't have an answer for this yet.

Here's a much more recent article from earlier this month (5/07) - http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/04/which_is_the_best_mainstream_cpu/

So once again it shows Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan knows his stuff. :tup:

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Thanks man......

BFISA and his AMD processors are hot Hmong/Vietnamese resold rejects and I need **** with teeth and not bamboo chutes and ladders. One toooo many Arc-Light missions left homie "dinky-dao".

Thanks again to CarlsbadBoltFan for delivering me some heat and Thumper (a token gesture since he owns the place) :icon_tease: :tup:

25. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont think Intel is better than AMD, even to this day but the ONE thing ill say about AMD is that in the past they have run a little hot. Those were the older ones tho. My computer i use now i have to leave the door open on my desk so it wont get hot but thats because the back of it is 2/3 rds closed in and it wouldnt get ANY ventilation.

I guess its just a preference just like Xbox or Playstation. Some will always stick with Intel but in my experience, Intel has always underperformed to AMD. Not to say i wouldnt buy a computer with an Intel chip, i would...... i just havent had one since my IBM laptop and my Dad used to have a Gateway desktop with an Intel chip and it was slow.
    Among others i know that had em.

Admittedly those were some 5 years ago but from what Thumper posted, it looks like AMD is right there again with Intel.

That said...after all the info ive gotton from you good men, i am looking for a Toshiba laptop and if it has a intel chip in it, then thats just fine with me. Looks like i cn get a good one for about $750. If i get lucky with timing and find what i want on sale...then even better.

26. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Having done both, I lean toward Intel in notebook computers. I run a Toshiba Satellite these days with an Intel Cintrino Duo for a notebook - lots of power without all the heat and thus far I love it. I sat next to a fellow last year at a (non-business) meeting whose notebook made a *very* irritating and distracting level of fan noise...

Our desktops at home are both equipped with very hot (and very powerful) AMDs with 2 fans in the case and the best processor fan I could buy from Frys electronics, a little noisier but they SCREAM and are particularly great for the Grandkids game CDs. I still dabble in a bit of image/video processing so both have 4 gigs of memory (thus the double-fan cases).

27. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You can test your speed.

To test it, go to http://www.broadbandreports.com/

Then click on "Tools", then from the next screen click on "Speed Tests"

After that click on either "Flash 8 plugin based speed test" or "Sun Java plugin based speed test"

At that point, you will have several servers to choose from. My recommendation is to run these tests from 2 or 3 of the servers because they can be off at times. It will give you an idea of how fast your internet connection is. If the tests are fast, but your download is slow, it's the server you're downloading from. If the tests are slower than your advertised speeds, time to call SBC DSL.

28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    207KB per second? Not bad...for DSL. My cable modem is consistently in the 400-500 range. Keep in mind, it could be the site you're downloading from. If that site is busy, then it will take longer.

How big is the file?

Never been a fan of anything AT&T/SBC. Dealt with those companies on a personal and professional level (before & after they became "one") and they've never lived up to their promises and always seem to work to their level of incompetence.

29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Excellent suggestion, Thumper. :tup:

Only thing I would add is to make sure you're not downloading something or having your email program (Outlook, Outlook Express) running as that will interfere with your test results.

• Like Like x 1