1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Technical Question; Laptops for a Law Student

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AnteaterCharger, Jul 12, 2006.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    Don't know how many of you guys know much about laptops but my desktop looks like its on its last legs and since Thomas Jefferson requires new students to get laptops, i'm looking at the possibility of acquiring one. I've limited it down to two; the Inspiron E1705 and the Latitude D820. If I had to break down what i'd do with a computer it would be
    40% Internet - research/blogging/mail/assorted....uh :icon_rofl:
    25% Writing/Office
    15% MP3/Itunes
    10% Podcasting :yes:
    10% gaming

Anyone know which would be the best or if not these two another good option? I'm leaning towards the Latitude with some modifications (namely a bigger harddrive, more memory and an improved graphics card).

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I'd lean toward the Latitude. It's Dell's business line and the Inspiron is the home computing line. I'm leaving for lunch, but I'll check those exact models when I get back.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    I've been doing more research and talking with people at the SDUT (goboilers has been a good person for this) and its now the 1505 w/ a dual core that takes over for the 1705

Some basic things I want and won't compromise on

DVD/CD Dual Burner
    100GB Harddrive
    Dual Core Processor
    Decent graphics card
    Wireless access card

4. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,889
  5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I check this site for great deals on Dell Computer: http://www.gotapex.com/

How about this:
    Get an Inspiron E1505 laptop with 15.4" WXGA TFT for $699.30! Just add a DVD burner during customization, then use coupon code: BTV1PGRRLM1VLS during checkout for a 30% discount off this $999+ Inspiron purchase, expiring 7/13/06 at 5:59AM Central or after 4000 redemptions. DELL INSPIRON E1505 CORE DUO NOTEBOOK DEAL

Using this coupon code I was able to go to the Dell site and get this for $814.10 with free shipping.

Inspiron E1505 Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2050 (2MB Cache/1.60GHz/533MHz FSB)
    Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Home
    LCD Panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
    Memory 512MB Shared Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ, 1 DIMM
    Video Card 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
    Hard Drive 100GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
    Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
    Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Sound Options Integrated Audio
    Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
    Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
    Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription
    Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
    Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
    Miscellaneous Award Winning Service, Support
    Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
    Operating System Re-Installation CD PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
    Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience

TOTAL:$814.10

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    PS It's not the $699 price because I upgraded the HDD, added a 256MB video card and added the DVD/CD-R Burner.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    PSS This deal ends tonight, but that website, http://www.gotapex.com has Dell deals like this all the time. Just keep your eyes on it when you're ready to buy, watch for a few days and when you see a great deal buy it right away because the deals don't always last a long time.

OR

You could click on one of the links for buy.com here and buy a laptop from them. We get a commission if you buy something through one of our links. :yes:

But seriously, that gotapex.com site is the bomb-digity!

8. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,889
    thanks but it will be a while before i can put this whole thing together so while I am very appreciative for all your research. I have a friend who has close connections with dell so we'll see what happens frmo there. Also I'm debating about getting some things in the computer from the get-go and then going to like fry's and buying parts that i want to add.

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    No Problem. I check this site regularly so it was no biggy. I'm also looking for a new laptop for something I'm working on for this site.

BTW- I work for a big corporation that has negotiated deals with Dell and this site often beats the best deals I can get through my company. You have to keep an eye on it though because the deals change daily.

Be cafeful buying from Frys. Their return policies suck. Never write a check there, always pay cash or cc. They do have lost leaders that are great deals, but know what you're buying is worth, because they have some bad deals too. Also, never ever buy anything at Frys that has a label on it that it's previously opened merchandise. These are returns that they re-shrinkwrap. Sometimes they put reshrink wrapped merch back on the shelves without marking it. They'll denie this, but it's happened to me personally. You get home to open it up and parts are missing or it's just broke.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,889
    :whistling: Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego
    definetely not the best of the best; applied there didn't get it :-p

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Toshiba Tecra S3, with the fingerprint scanner for security!:tup:

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I almost enrolled at National Universities Juris Doctorate (JD) of law. F. Lee Bailey was conducting moot court trials but this was back in the 80's

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I have an older (3-4 years I think) Dell Inspiron and have been very happy with it.

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,889
    I am hoping such and I've heard that that's what TJ prides itself on; a real life law education with professors that actually teach. It was a bit annoying though applying to schools like USD, Texas, William and Mary, Notre Dame, USC, etc and only getting into TJ; its good though. Gives me a big chip on my shoulder :tup:

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,889
    Leisure; that's the plan baring that I like TJ (which could happen). And I had a bunch of friends who applied to schools EVERYWHERE and got lower tier results (one friend had a 3.7 two degrees (Poly Sci and Computer Engineering) and is going to Michigan at Lansing). I was a 3.55 154 LSAT with honors in Poly Sci so I was incredibly frustrated. What I had heard was that nearly EVERY school I applied to had record applications (or maybe that's them being nice to me). I know Arizona had 1500 to 150 spots and UNLV had 2500 for 175.

Im ready to roll one way or another and though TJ will limit the number of posts/articles, I'm not going to disappear from this board. I'll still be here to write, podcast, blog and generally be a pain in the butt :icon_banana: