1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ted Ginn Jr.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Boltergeist, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Before I begin, let me just say that I'm not really an advocate of taking a WR with our first pick...I would prefer to see us land either a SS to replace Kiel....or maybe the best available of either a LB, DT, or OG/T....to improve depth..and possible upgrade. A lot will also depend on how active we are and who we land in FA....as well as who we retain...p.s. please god let us re-sign Dielman and Phillips...thanks.

If we were to go WR...I definitely want a speed guy a la Steve Smith / Santana Moss to compliment our current cast of trees at WR....and also a guy who has performed in huge games against top notch talent under pressure....and a guy who can possibly be a home run threat as a returner...ie. Ted Ginn. I've seen a few mocks with this guy any where from the 10th pick to way down to the end of the 1st round...I don't know what's accurate and I'm not that much of a draftnik. We don't have a history of trading up, so I'm ruling that out... but I wonder if we might have a shot at this guy if we land the Jets pick for Turner. There are some other guys out there...like the kid from South Carolina...but I see them more as projects....I want an impact guy...and someone with the speed / playmaking ability to scare the crap out of defenses with all of our other weapons.

Any thoughts on this?...Maybe I'm just way off and he'll be gone and off the board early...but he's an intriguing pick.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    I'm a bit worried about Ginn having more flash then substance but he looks to go in the middle of the round.

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

I worry about the same...but at least he's shown flash against big time opponents...and not Middle Tennessee State or whoever.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Ginn and the other two or three premadona wr's will be long gone by the time we pick. Don't get me wrong. Some of these premadona wr's this year do look like they could do well. But we really need other positions filled with better players if possible other than wr.

We very probably should look at trying to improve our one weakness still. Which is pass defense. WEre getting better but its still lacking a bit. A better pass rush if possible. Were down to merriman and phillips as outside linebackers. WE need one more of those.

And were loosing two of our starting inside linebackers so we really need to find at least one more really good one for there. And if kiel goes to jail we have to find another saftey. And it might not hurt to try and find one more d-back that can do a good job.

5. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    When it came to the big game versus Florida he was nowhere to be found except for the opening kickoff return. As a receiver he got goose-egged that game. :no:

I would leans towards how PostAnteaterCharger feels. I'm sure he's a good receiver, but he played with Mr. Heisman winner on the #2 team in the country. How can you not look good? :icon_shrug:

6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398

Well my first thought is if you want a speed guy...dont pick Steve Smith. He isnt that fast.

S or WR are my first targets and where we pick at #30, i would pick the possition that is still there meaning either Michael Griffin or if he is gone, Dwayne Bowe or Sdney Rice.

I dont think we need to go LB in the first round because it isnt a big need. Neither are the other possitions you mentioned as of yet and it is my opinion anyways that we need a OT more than we need a OG.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Linebacker isn't that big a need? Considering how important that position is with the 3/4 defense. Were down to merriman and phillips at olb and if one of those guys gets hurt theres a big drop off. And were loosing edwards and godrey. Which will leave wilhelm and cooper and dobbins. But we need at least one more inside linebacker and hopefully one better than what we have now.

Just a wild guess. But linebacker is probably our most pressing need.

8. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Dude, he got hurt after that play on the celebration and only played ONE SERIES afterwards and did not return!!!

You mean you didnt notice #7 wasnt on the field the whole game?
    Pretty observant of you.

9. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    :oops:
    You're right, I forgot about that. Still, where's the competitive spirit for the big game?.

10. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    No Foober, it is not. We dont know if Foley is coming back yet either.
    Im sure they will resign Polk who actually played pretty well at OLB in Merrimans absense. We have Marques Harris who im also sure will be resigned. Im sure Phillips will be resigned too because basically all we have is Merriman under contract. If we get Foley back , OLB isnt much of a need at all really, but maybe they use a later pick on one.

ILB we could use a pick there but it isnt a huge need.

IMO the huge holes are WR and SS. Dont know why you dont se that. Our WR possition is actually in a big need of upgrading. Floyd is always hurt...every year. Parker is hurt a lot and has been god but noting spectacular. McCardell could be gone but was not very productive anyways and VJ was inconsistant but getting better.
    He will be our best WR next year of the returning group.

Need some players there.

Id put LB 3rd or 4th in line of what we need. At least at this point till we see who will be here and who wont. WR we know who will be here and it aint pretty.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Okay, but I pray the chargers think differently.:yes: :yes: :bolt:

I agree another wr would be good. But a good one via free agency or a developmental one in the 3rd round would fill that need. As far as saftey. We don't know if kiel is leaving. And we still have the other two guys though they are usually hurt. I can see getting another saftey if kiel leaves.

But if you think polk and harris are the answer at olb. Yes if foley came back we'd be fine. But I really doubt he will be able to. At inside linebacker cooper wilhelmen and dobbins are fairly good. But if we really want to improve the defense they'll think of landing a very good inside linebacker. Though that might not be possible with what will be available.

But wr is so far down the list. And yes. I'd love a better right tackle. Olivea caused how many qb sacks and rushes of passes this year. Quite a few. He's just too slow of foot on the outside. But for some reason the chargers seem blind to that.

12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Linebacker isn't even in the top 3 needs, let alone top need

Merriman and philips both got hurt this year and yet we still lead the league in sacks and didn't lose a game because of the great play of Harris and polk

sure are losing donnie and godfrey, but AJ must really like coop and wilhelm since he gave them both long term extensions for starters money, and with the drafting of dobbins last year (steal in the 5th round), I just don't see us drafting a LB early on.

Maybe bring in an average free agent but besides that we are set at linebacker

13. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Well id love to see your reasons why you dont think WR is a big need. McCardell played in our playoff game and didnt even catch a ball. Parker played bad, VJ had some drops as well which is getting to be normal for him. Floyd went on IR for the 2nd year in a row and been hurt every year. There's no stars there. no big time players.

LB ...it would be nice to get a great player there but i think we can get a good one in the 2nd round for ILB. Sorry..a guy like Woodley is not going to play ILB for us. If we cabn get David Harris in the 2nd round...id be happy.

In fact, this is what i posted at the UT in the draft section for our first three picks:

If we get a first from the Jets for Turner
    at this early stage, id go:

1a. Michael Griffin/S
    1b. Dwayne Bowe/WR
    2. David Harris /ILB
    3a. Doug Free / OT
    3b.Eric Wright/CB

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200

Parker had one bad game in 3 years. Mccardell for what ever reason never got thrown a ball. Floyd was hurt. Jackson had an average game but he looks like he'll be very good in the future.

There is no reason to waste an early pick on a wr. We've got the wr's we'll need next year. If we really needed one we'd get one via free agency. Rookie wr's very rarely contribute if at all their first year.

I agree. Possibly in another year we'll need another wr. Thats why if they wanted one via the draft get one to develop in the third round possibly.

Sounds like we might compromise on being satisfied with another good d-back.

15. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398

OK...so i bet we have McCardell one more year, and Parkers deal will be close to up after next season. We will need one again.
    AJ isnt going to pay a ton of money to sign a FA WR. David Givens got over 5 million a year last offseason and he is average.

We dont have any playmakers other than VJ and he needs to be consistant.
    If we draft a LB in the first, they wont contribute much next season either. Our starters are set and 99% of those guys havent played in a 3-4.

16. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Parker sucks. he's too small, drops the ball a lot and isn't fast enough to be a diffrence maker. At best he is an average slot/#3 WR.
    Not to mention he is a choker

McCardell is too old and slow. teams realized that the only route he runs successfully out patterns and if you cover that he is a non-factor.

Floyd is injury prone, having finished the past 2 season on IR. He also only has 18 catches in 3 years

Our only good WR is jackson, and he is going to breakout next year, but needs some opposite him

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    With defensive front 7 guys its all about the same. Go get the qb and running back. All they have to learn are the stunts and blitzes which I'm sure they can pick up in training camp.

Plus you have to remember what has lost us games in the last years. The pass defense. The chargers have had a hard time stoppiing late game passing attacks. Its our most pressing need. Has been for years. We still need to upgrade the pass rush if possible. And the d-backfield play which involves the linebackers.

I believe a.j. will get what we need to improve. Though I doubt they'll get a better right tackle. Why they can't see oliveas short comings I don't know.

18. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Part of that is Wade going into puss y mode late in the games.

19. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Our pass rush the past 2 years has been amazing

It hasn't been the players that has cost us. It has been the conservative playcalling late in games/halfs

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    true thats part of it. I'm praying our next OC can put together better offensive series than CAm Could. Offensively I really think we need a better right tackle over a wr. To be able to give Rivers more time. And to have the option of running right or left. I'd be way happy with that.

But i really wish they could finally have a pass defense that works when needed. If they could just get that fixed so it worked better we'd have a hard time loosing.

21. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Come again? Steve Smith is blazing fast....maybe the fastest WR in the NFL when healthy....I'm not even going to look up combine numbers because I'm not a big believer in fake hand times...he gets crazy separation from DB's on deep routes.

Other than that...I agree with you....plus, Ted Ginn probably won't be there when we pick so it's likely a moot point...I wouldn't mind the best available Safety or roll the dice on a lesser known receiver like Rice.

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    to be honest we need to see Ginn in the combine at least before we can make a good look. That way we can stack him, Rice, Higgins and Mechemen up against each other with numbers

Though higgins has been dynamite in the senior bowl

23. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    I'm going to assume he meant steve smith the USC WR not carolina panthers Steve Smith

24. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Ahhh...That makes more sense...I didn't even think about that guy...I loosely watch college ball and some of the bowl games and pay more attention to these guys come draft time....so to clarify..I definitely don't think we need a guy like USCs Steve Smith.....I do think we need a field stretcher like the all-pro in Carolina rather than another big guy.

25. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398

Yeah i meant the USC reciever.

26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Higgins didnt do much today and stacking up speed numbers isnt the whole picture.

Meachem will be a project. It took him till this year to finally do what they expected of him when he got to Tennesee.

Today it was Bowe who stood out then Stuckey was the next best.

27. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +344
    You know Ted Ginn Jr reminds me of Peter Warrick (but with more speed) coming out of college....He has all those fancy moves, and great downfield speed! But look at Peter Warrick and what he has done in the NFL (NOTHING), how about Charles Rogers? another top 10 pick that has done nothing! I think taking a guy like Ginn or Jarrett has pros but definetly has cons! Meachum is so friggin overrated if we draft him I wont even watch the rest of the draft cause it will be a lost cause! Sidney Rice is going to be a stud but he needs alot of route running work and footwork! IMO for all of you that are getting your hopes up about a 1st round WR, dont get them up to high! We still need to address the defensive side of the ball, Godfrey is on his way out, not sure Foley is going to return, and Terrence Kiel looks lost at times! We need to start grooming a replacement for the jamal the wall....no on the positive side we got Cro who is going to be a sick *** corner, Jammer is coming around and played great this year, Flo has ups and downs (more downs than ups) but is serviceable! I say take a guy like Patrick Willis if we indeed do get the jets pick (dont get your hopes up) and in the ladder part of the round take a Michael Griffin! I really like Buster Davis from FSU he is an amazing blitzing LB and would fit the 3-4 scheme real well!