1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Teddy C's D-E-F-E-N-C-E!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 9, 2007.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    What did you all think of Ted Cottrells style of defense today? I think if anything we IMPROVED with the coaching change. Maybe you guys also saw tonight Wade Phillips gave up 35 points to Eli and the Giants. The Cowboys were picked apart through the air, which is typical of any defense he runs.:lol:

We were very agressive sending everyone from Merriman to Phillips to Weddle consistantly, and still managed to patrol the sky better than we have in years. I cant wait to see what he comes up with for Tom Brady next week!:abq2:

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Ted Cottrell >> Wade Phillips.

Wade's nuts would have shriveled in the second half and Rex the Hex would have suddenly looked like the second coming of Montana. :yes:

Eli Manning scored more TDs and had a better night against Wade's defense in Dallas than he did in 2005 against us!

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    We gave up some big passes up the middle...

Hopefully that can be addressed.

4. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Compared to what Wade's defense did tonight, I'll gladly accept a few passes over the middle as being the only "weakness" on the defense right now.

5. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think it shows how far behind the Cowboys defense are behind the Bolts when it comes to personnel.

6. swishbish33

swishbish33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    And once again shows that everyone in the media needs to stop swinging from the collective ball sack of the Cowboys.

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yup, Cottrell had our guys way better prepared and much more aggressive than Wade had his boys.

Ted Cottrell >> Wade Phillips as a DC.

Once again, AJ shows he made the right call by going after Ted. :tup:

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We had a great defensive effort today, no doubt. It kept us close until we could capitalize on the Bears' mistakes.

Our secondary still didn't look great, but it was the first game & I'm hoping that we'll address some of those issues before next Sunday. McCree & Hart played well, but I still think that Weddle needs to be on the field more. The kid can ball!

I'm not ready to crown Cottrell the next greatest DC yet, but it was a very good opening effort. Seems like we may need to give the Brady/Moss duo a little more credit than we thought. The answer to that combo will be aggressive, physical play. Moss will wilt under that type of game.

Here's to an opening day win :icon_toast:

Bring on the Patsies!! :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    [​IMG]

PRIMETIME

10. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I was loving those Nickle blitzes.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am actually worried.

We did not get that much pressure on a bad QB Rex Grossman. So what is a good QB like Brady going to do if we cant pressure him?

I dont think the Bears was a great test of our defensive unit. Our offensive unit yes. The pats will be the test for the defense, and we will have to find a way to pressure the QB.

Where is Merriman in the pass rush?

12. getfresh

getfresh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6

Me too; it's like he's so short he can slip around the line and just appear out of nowhere at full speed. Good stuff.

13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    He was getting doubled by 2 Olinemen, but he was still in the backfield causing havoc. Just because you don't get the sacks doesn't mean you weren't doing anything.

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Exactly. Merriman "caused" the Shaun Phillips sack because the Bears were paying Merriman so much respect, and concentrated on "Lights Out" so much that they completely ignored Shaun Phillips. He then rifled through untouched and blasted Grossman.

They started paying attention to Phillips a little bit more after that...

Plus, Merriman tackled the Chicago RB for a huge loss, after Grossman fumbled and the Chicago RB picked up the ball.

Merriman was about a half-second away from having a sack. He dove over a Chicago blocker and landed at Grossman's feet. Merriman was about to pull Grossman down by the waist, but Rex the Hex threw the ball away before he could.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I did not say he was not doing anything. I was asking why he was not more active in the pass rush. If he was taking up 2 Offensive Linemen, then where was Castillo and Olshansky?

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Our defence looked great. Especially when we stopped that 4th down.
    But I agree with Concudan... the Bears are not exactly a great offense.

What has me worried is the offense. The play calling was absolutely horrible in the first half. "Mr. Offensive Guru" better get his act together!!!

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Did you expect him to throw it all over the place against a top defense that is known of making turnovers and scoring off of them.

The way to beat the Bears is to not create turnovers, and being fancy would of created turnovers against the Bears. Maybe it was a bit bland but it ended up in a win and that's all that matters.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'm with u on this one...... I guess the Chicago front is one of the better O lines in football?. I did not see #56 in particular nor #93 dominate the way they can.

I'm all for sending Weddle at the right time though, he looks the business. :icon_party:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Creating turnovers was the one thing that we absolutley rocked at without exception yesterday!:abq1:

20. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    My boy Cottrell kicked this teams "D" up another notch. Weddle is going to be a hard player to keep off the field. Teddy better come up with more schemes to get him in there. I say send him in on Merriman's side to force hopefully one of the players doubling Shawne to back off to pick up Weddle. Then Merriman can bulldose his way in.

Keep up the good work Cottrell!!!!:icon_toast:

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Dude, come on. Grossman had 145 yards passing. The Bears scored three points. If we do that and allow "big passes up the middle," then we are freaking magicians.