1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Telesco safe

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by pure-sol, Dec 6, 2015.

1. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Since I don't know how to link tweets:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 8m8 minutes ago
    Huge news out off San Diego: GM Tom Telesco received a multi-yr extension in the summer. He is safe. Team will review coaches after season

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 9m9 minutes ago
    Telesco very much will remain part of franchise moving forward. Team has faith in McCoy and laud his leadership despite injuries...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 8m8 minutes ago
    But unlike the front office, McCoy's fate will be determined after the season. Telesco's extension previously un-announced

2. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    McCoy dead man walking, unless the Chargers do not relocate to LA.

Tom Minion was obviously extended unless this LJS experimentation is nipped in the bud by Bob Iger, unless LJS really manages to impress the powers that be, that he is not a low football IQ executive like his dad the Deaner!

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I have no problem with Telesco staying, but obviously he doesn't deserve a multi-year extension.

This only sends the message that mediocrity is excepted and awarded. I just hope the next HC can bring something more than McCoy has.

4. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Any potentially decent HC would insist on having major input on the player personnel decisions and matter, at the very least. Do you see that with Tom Minion and LJS at the helm? I don't!

5. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    I'm not seeing what he has done to deserve such an extension but equally I'm sure he isn't doing as bad a job as some think. If the team moves to LA I don't care...

6. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I am not sure how a GM could do much worse than Telesco has done. He has given away draft picks for no reason, made no effort to keep good players, signed bad players and drafted bad players.

When he took over, the team was a good OL from being right back in the playoffs. Now almost the entire team needs to be rebuilt.

This is a team that already had an elite QB. How many teams with an elite QB are in the bottom 5 in talent and record? Not many--ever. The blame for this falls squarely on Telesco.

7. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    #dealwithit ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Not even close..

9. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    You say he took over a team that has was a good OL from being right back in playoffs, but he spent his first draft pick on OL, then took the team right back to the playoffs in his first season.

It seems that all you ever want to do is criticise using hindsight. In truth, he inherited a team with a lot of dead money, and mediocre talent throughout with the exception of a couple of players.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Blah blah...sweeping generalisations.

Blah blah...suppositions passed of as fact.

Blah blah...weird obsession.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Some of you guys are completely delusional.

We have a much better HC than we did in 2012 and yet we are likely going to have a bottom 5 record. Could it possibly be because the team is nowhere near as good as it used to be?

Telesco inherited the #9 overall defense, #5 in YPC against and immediately made personnel moves that turned the defense into crap. The run defense has never recovered. Hell, the run defense has not even been better than #27 in YPC against in any Telesco year (after being #5 when he took over).

Telesco's moves have been so idiotic that they were obviously bad at the time they were made, especially this year's moves, which I correctly criticized as being idiotic at the time they were made. On that note, I am not sure that everyone on this forum understands the meaning of the word "hindsight".

Obviously, Telesco would not have been extended had this year's results been known. Now, he will either be fired or the team will continue to be a cellar dweller. It really is simple. If your GM fails to assemble good talent, your team does not win very often.

12. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Our run defense hasn't been truly great since we had Jamal Williams in the middle. Let's not trip here. You try to make it sound like he inherited a top tier defense and somehow ruined it, when in reality he had 1 elite player (Weddle).

If you really called half of what you claim to have called at the time, you should apply to be the next GM, either that or get a job at the circus as a fortune teller. We can all have a couple of moves to agree or disagree with, players we like, etc... but do you just call each one bad at the time so if it fails you can say I told you so later?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    While I agree that Chain has a point that Telesco has done more to hurt our team to help it, Moses has it right. We haven't had a real defense since Wade Phillips was our DC and we had Jamal plugging the middle, demanding double teams each and every play.

I feel like saying we were an OL away from a ring is a little bit of a stretch. If we had drafted/signed a Dallas-esque OL it's possible that we could have a ring with the power of our offense and the slightly higher than mediocre defense at the time, but it's more likely that our defense would have kept us out of the big game. There's a reason there's a saying that "defenses win Super Bowls".

14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    No, Moses does not have it right.

The 2012 defense, while not the 1985 Chicago Bears, was ranked 9th overall and 5th in YPC against. And they achieved this despite having, thanks to Norv Turner and his inability to call plays or make adjustments, the 31st ranked overall offense (less than 300 yards per game) that was also 30th in yards per play.

That is, unlike the 2013 team, the offense was not helping the defense much at all.

The fact is that Telesco got rid of some guys that could still play effectively and did play effectively in 2013 for other teams (Phillips, Franklin).

Also, if you were referring to my earlier statement in your post, you got it wrong. I never said we were a good OL from a ring. We were a good OL and/or not Norv Turner at HC from being a playoff team (in 2012). Getting rid of Turner and improving the OL were the two big fixes that we needed.

We didn't need the wholesale changes made by Telesco and with Telesco's bad vision for what the team should be and for how to take the team to that wrong vision (ill advised moves galore), especially on the defensive side of the ball, the wholesale changes that Telesco has made have made us much, much worse as a team. Seriously, how can anyone suggest that we are anything other than the bottom 5 team we are in terms of talent? In this case, we really are exactly what our record says we are--worst Charger team since at least 2003 and maybe even further back than that.

Also, I find it unbelievable that anyone would make reference to us as being cash strapped when Telesco wasted so much money on busts like Cox and Freeney. We could have re-signed Franklin and Phillips for less than Freeney alone cost us. Hell, we could have re-signed Vasquez too had Telesco managed the salary cap better. But why keep a 3rd round quality player (that later became a Pro Bowler) like Vasquez when you can sign UDFAs cut or unwanted by other teams?

After all, that is the Telesco way. Round up as much unwanted garbage from other teams as you can, especially ex-Colts unwanted garbage, and then ask yourself why the team can't win consistently (even if it were to have a divine being as its HC).

• Old Old x 2
  15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    We also have the wrong coaches running the offense. Reich and McCoy are completely clueless, and although Joe D may be one of the better OL coaches in the league this zone rushing scheme will never fit the personnel we have on offense.

This coaching staff needs an enema.

16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    McCoy and even Reich have more of a clue than Telesco has.

No coach can win consistently with our bottom 5 (thanks to Telesco) talent. Sadly, without the remaining AJ players, especially Rivers, what Telesco has done is to assemble the worst talent in the NFL--not just terrible, but stunningly terrible.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
  17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Interesting perspective.

Wrong, but interesting.

Edit: I'm sorry I shouldn't say wrong, I'm still 50/50 on TT myself. I like some moves, I really hate others, but regardless when Philip Rivers is your QB you should never get shut out. And we've been outscored 65-9 in our last 10 quarters at HOME.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    HA gug, gug, gug, gug, gug. All the experts come out late at night.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    The entire organization is rife with ineptitude.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    The fact that this was only told now when it was done months ago is not just ridiculous but insanely inept.

I don't see Telesco as anywhere near the fault of McCoy. Telesco has made some good moves, won't be held back by his mistakes (minus Donald Brown) and has definitely acquired top level talent. That it hasn't come together on the field is IMHO entirely on the coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I can see why a GM would get time to build his vision, it takes time, it takes draft picks and money.

With a coach its more simple, you either make the right decisions or you don't, and it's pretty evident on game day. McCoy's staggering stupidity when it comes to clock management (the most obvious example) has become a weekly trope. The fact that this offense is so painfully predictable that it's sickening, goes right on the shoulders of McCoy's inability to make adjustments. Which is even more unacceptable when you consider McCoy's history as an OC.

Another sign is when you have players who are typically good, playing very poorly; and when you have players struggling who never seem to improve. The development process is non-existent here. Other than Denzel Perryman who seems to be fueled by little more than force of will, none of the young players (Ingram, Attaochu, Fluker, Te'o, even Verrett to a certain degree) have actually improved from game to game.

In fact, it's actually getting worse from week to week, which tells me the coaches aren't coaching or the players aren't listening. Which is EXACTLY what happened in 2012. It's the antithesis of what Andy Reid is doing in Kansas City, who despite starting terribly are back in the drivers seat for a wild card spot....even despite not having their bell cow in Jamaal Charles.

McCoy is done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    This.

Also, the reason Telesco gets another shot, is because he'll be able to pick his coach. I believe Arians was his guy, but ownership wanted McCoy. Usually, when you come off an atrocious season like this and your head coach and coaching staff go, you as a GM get aggressive, and I believe Telesco will make some moves this offseason to improve this team.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Find it funny how Melvin Ingram was out partying at Rick Ross' concert last night in San Diego after a loss in which he made critical mistakes. Glad he cares so much for the game.

24. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    That is another idiot who has to go. How he has not been busted yet for PEDs is just beyond me (don't forget that Blitzy is the PED crusader and exposer! :D ) Sick and tired of hearing about his "flashes" so he can go flash his stuff with some other team next year. Plenty of sucker takers for him just because he was a former 1st rounder. Idiot!

25. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    What evidence do you have that McCoy has been anything other than Telesco's coach?

Some of you guys are hilarious. If something good happens on the roster, Telesco gets the credit. If something bad happens, that was really someone else's decision and not Telesco's even though the move would fall clearly within the scope of the GM's responsibility.

Unfortunately, the evidence has shown us that Telesco is just stupid. Aggressive and stupid is a really bad combination as evidenced by the multiple idiotic Telesco trade ups and the free agent and re-signing/extension busts. Since Telesco's moves generally make the roster worse, my thought is that it might be better if he did as little as possible until he gets fired or not extended. Here, I admit that I am making an assumption that the Spanoses could not possibly be stupid enough to extend Telesco again.

I think it is likely that we will finish in last place in the AFCW every year until Telesco is gone. This really pisses me off too because Rivers deserves better than to be saddled with this mostly dog manure roster and coaching staff.

DEN has a strong defense with plenty of players with years left. They may not win it all with the essentially no offense that they have (you don't think we could hold a team with any sort of legitimate offense under 20 points, do you?), but they will be a solid winning team after Manning is gone.

KC is a dark horse to win it all this year and appears to have a very solid foundation for years to come. A few weeks ago I suggested that they had a chance to win the division over DEN, but DEN's win over NE probably saved the division title for DEN as they will probably finish 12-4 versus 11-5 for KC. That said, KC is clearly the better team and will likely continue to be so going forward.

The Raiders are headed in the right direction as they keep adding pieces to an improving roster. I expect the gap between the Raiders and us for the worst team in the division to widen as the Telesco era continues.

We are a runaway freight train headed in the wrong direction. Just look at the roster. There are more players that should be dumped than kept. More than half of the roster should be dumped. That is impressively bad.

26. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    He is what he is--a very average NFL OLB. That's why he sometimes makes spectacular plays and sometimes does not make plays that it seems like he should make. He is kind of like first round pick Fluker as an OL player in that respect. That makes him not as good as Verrett, but better than Gordon.

Still, he is either the best or second best (next to Attaochu) OLB that we have. That should tell you something about the fine player quality assembled by Telesco.

As I just posted, I looked at our current 53. I counted 24 "keepers" and 29 "dumps". The roster is garbage in terms of talent. If I cherry pick from IR and add those players (Allen, Oliver, Philon) to the 53, I can almost get the roster even in terms of keepers and dumps (27 to 29--still barely more dumps than keepers).

27. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    First things first, at some point you will need to reach the final stage of acceptance in your grief process. TT has been extended, period and exclamation mark! Personally speaking, I very much doubt if I am going to dedicate my further allegiances to the Chargers by following a Spanos owned team when relocated to LA, but I assume that many (specially out of town fans) would follow suit.

The major philosophical differences which I have with you is on the weight and the importance of the Spanoses meddling, incompetence and ineptitude of Dean and LJS with the executive, coaching and player personnel decisions. Perhaps LJS more so than Deaner. However, both our paths leads to the same focal point, i.e, there are perhaps 20-25 players worth keeping on the future roster.

28. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Chain if your posts weren't so much to the extreme I think I could agree with you more than the general forum population. In any case, I dont think Telesco should be retained for various reasons, but he also hasnt done the worse possible job. I personally would put coaching as a slightly greater need than personnel. The larger personnel issues become more apparent when you have to depend on depth in starter roles when your starters couldnt even get this "gameplan" to work.

Telesco has brought in some good players and talent to the team but his philosophy on team building is so flawed. On both sides of the ball, our lines are so paper soft and weak. I would be okay with our secondary and even line backing group if our DLine was any good.

Our offense also has the talent when it comes to position players, but the Oline just isnt good enough consistently and then the scheme we run just doesnt fit the personnel or blocking schemes. Then no adjustments to help the weak OLine. And WTF was that yesterday. Old Norv offense? Split David Johnson wide presnap only to motion him to the backfield to "block" for a run play.

The offense can still use a playmaker or 2 out wide (especially with speed) even though ppl feel having speed wouldnt help us, but I dont agree with you Chain when you say we have no talent, but I can agree than the correct talent isnt always retained and the search to add quality talent isnt there. His neglect to address the line is also beyond me, so yes I am done with Tommy T, but I cant complete cosign your reach on how bad of a job he has done while giving a pass to the coaching staff because you think they lack talent so it wouldnt matter who coached them that we would have the same to similar results... It's really just a clusterf*ck on all fronts right now... Jan 4th cant come soon enough to endure new disappointment.....

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    This team has been soft for years predating John Butler, who by the way, kick started the club in the right direction. TT brought in a huge O-line to start this year but like most Bolt dips in the free agent pool it turned up dry. Why is it that players the Bolts draft suck in Dego but can leave and become all pro? Guys get to Dego after fairly injury free carers at their last outpost and all of a sudden come up lame and unable to play.

Fans love to point fingers at the suspected cause which most firmly believe that they're right and everyone else is wrong. Our MB certified Head Coaches can tell us all we ever wanted to know about the game (which most wouldn't know their own arse from third base) unsolicited, same with the MB certified GM's and Owners.

When I compare the Bolts to both past and present championship teams I notice one glaring or gleaming fault that is identifiable. Said teams have a change over and morph into winners that bring in a new tradition of their way or the highway. These teams are able to get others castoffs and turn them into real players whether or not they are bullies or members of the glee club.

If not for real life, John Butler may have completed what he had started, unfortunately Bolt fans will never know. It's sad to watch this sad sack team get pounded like yesterday and not even stand up for themselves against the bully up the block. Mr. Hilton, where are you now????.

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    When you 'build' a team, you must change the culture and mentality of the entire organization. If ownership isn't in sync with the change of culture and mentality - the front office, coaching staff and players will only feel a short term fix in terms of the culture and mentality (like we did in 2013, early stages of 2014), before it wears off.

Look in the past and present at previous owners, their teams, and how successful they were/have been.
    • Jerry Jones - Cowboys
    • Bob Kraft - Patriots
    • Steve Bischotti - Ravens
    • Rooney Family - Steelers
    • Halas-McCaskey Family - Bears
    • Mara-Tisch Family - Giants
    There's a mentality, passed down from the very top (owners), and it trickles down (front office, coaching staff, players, fans). Say what you want about these teams, at some point it meant something to be apart of these organizations, or it still does mean something. There is a sense of pride among the players and fans - each of these teams have some of the best fans in the game; you'll never see any of these stadiums full of opposing teams fans.