1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ten ways to fix the NFL's growing concussion crisis

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, May 10, 2012.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Think this is my favorite fix:

2. If a flagrant hit leads to a concussion and missed time by a player, then the offending player must sit out the same number of games as the injured one misses. This is simple fairness, and of all the proposals, might be the most immediately effective.

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    7. No 18-game schedule and consider the impossible: going back to a 14-game schedule. Simple math. Fewer games, fewer hits. There should also be just two preseason games.

OK nevermind this is deffinatly an idea that intrieges me. I HATE the idea of more REG season games and woulnt cry any more than the players about dropping 2 pseason games, not so sure that its possible to take away regular season games now tho.

4. Las Vegas Charger fan

Las Vegas Charger fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    as a season ticket holder (in Las Vegas) I 100% agree with a 14 game schedule. I believe a shorter season will lead to more intense football, so maybe the hits will be harder? Who knows but the simple math of less games means less concussion I agree with.
    If you concuss a player deliberately and said player misses games, the offending player should also miss the same number of games. YES!! The $20,000 fines don't help. Most of these players carry that in diamonds so to think a fine will deter them is pure fantasy.

5. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    Eye for an eye. I believe the victim of the dirty hit should be allowed to concuss the concussor. With a large fish. Hit him in the head for as long as it takes. Only the guy doesn't know when it's coming. He has to serve as the concussee's butler until the guy is good and ready and then smack! And smack! And smack! And...

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    The problem is, you're asking people to read another person's intent. Did he hit him to be dirty? Or was it just a clean hit that ended badly?

The only real way to fix the NFL's concussion problem is to start playing flag football.

7. PB Bolt

Ratings:
    +138
    I've never seen anybody get hurt in one of these sumo suits. Maybe we need to just slow the game down a little bit.

sumo.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    You are going to have to change the very culture of the game to help stop concussions. Too many players now love to watch themselves on the highlight reels during ESPN sportscenter to see that “BIG” hit. You have big, mean nasty linebackers and defensive backs who are out to induce as much pain as they can. Violence sells, and America is buying it up.

9. PB Bolt

Ratings:
    +138
    Well, Tony Cornheiser just said that the game, as we have known it since 1965, is over. He went on to postulate that football is on a gradual decline, to one day go the way of boxing. Can you name the heavyweight champion of the world right now?

Cornheiser feels that parents will steer their children away from the game at a young age, so maybe our attention shouldn't be wasted on fixing football, but instead designing a safe helmet for soccer. The other football.

soccer.jpg

10. PB Bolt

Ratings:
    +138
    I'm sure this could be developed into something. Maybe add a roll cage and turn signals.

Lord_Dark_Helmet.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    So Shaun Phillips smacks some nobody Bronco scrub and gives him a concussion. You don't think Denver will immediately put said scrub on IR so that SP is out for the season?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. PB Bolt

Ratings:
    +138
    Exactly. It's way too subjective.

And while we're on the subject, if you were Judge Smails, wouldn't you have Dr. Beeper give Al Czervic a more thorough examination before you let Noonan sub for him?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I bet MJD would have loved that helmet over the NFL offerings when he had his whole facemask twisted 180* around. Even with the face shield down that would look less painful.

Turns out its a challenge to find a image of that incident. As if it was some kind of brutality coverup conspiracy. Dont want the world to think any lower about the sport.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Check out the NEW Chargers uniforms:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    fishchick.gif

• Like Like x 1
  16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    It's real easy for people not playing to talk sh_t about how pansy the game is getting from the safety of their desk.

17. PB Bolt

Ratings:
    +138
    A good Outside the Lines today. Since Duerson's name is back in the headlines in the wake of Junior's death, they revisited the '85 Bears. McMahon is in a real bad way now. He fears he won't be able to remember his way home one of these days. They interviewed Fencik also. He seems to have all of his faculties together and said that none of the former players he knows would do anything differently then, even if they knew what the risks are now.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7697710

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The facts are that football is a dangerous game and was close to being outlawed. It's called tackle for a reason and heavy contact is involved and not one player is forced to play. Changing the game and making it softer is not the answer, how about improving the gear and let them play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Which is exactly why I do most of my sh!ttalking from there. :roflmao:

Lighten up.

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The players who have extended careers make millions of dollars. The players who don't still make hundreds of thousands of dollars. The average young adult college graduate makes $45,000 a year. The average high school graduate makes $30,000 a year, for the guys who didn't bother graduating.

I have no sympathy for these guys whatsoever, especially considering how low the salaries of our young enlisted service members are, who, by the way, face not only concussions from nearby IEDs, but ******* bullets and rockets, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    They're expecting 60 thousand people to show up at the memorial for a man that took his own life. When have more than 6 people ever show up for the return of a true fallen hero that died in actual combat?

22. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    I thought they were going to take away the facemask at one point? Anyone like that idea?

23. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I'm fully lightened up. I just get amused when I hear people saying things like "why don't they put dresses on them" or "let's just play flag football. It's normally being said by guys whose asses aren't on the line.

24. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I agree that they know what they are signing up for, and I don't feel like they are victims. However, I still think it's a good idea to see what things can be done to improve safety without destroying the game. Of course different people have different ideas about what "destroying the game" is.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I take medication to dull the pain from some major injuries I've had. Those injuries are directly related to the sports I chose to play for little or no compensation compared to NFL players of today. If the risk is to big don't play but the first rule in football is hit the guy with the ball as hard as you can. I guess receivers should be able to signal for fair catches and running backs should have a five yard free run zone.

• Like Like x 1
  26. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Booooooooooooooo! He's probably right, but.... Booooooooooooooooo!

27. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    Nice reference! You deserve a....

fresca.jpg

28. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    Funny line. I'm going to steal that one from you Savage. :)

• Like Like x 1
  29. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    and you cant rush the quarterback until you go through a full "3 Potatoe" count

30. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    Maybe....

jack.gif