1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Terrell Suggs: Trevor Pryce signed with Jets

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Jets just got better

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 30, 2010 11:09 AM ET

A day after he was released by the Baltimore Ravens in a move that appeared to be only temporary, defensive lineman Trevor Pryce may have left for the New York Jets.

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs wrote on Twitter that Pryce had signed with the Jets, and although there's been no formal announcement, the Ravens seem to think it's a done deal, as the team's Twitter account re-tweeted Suggs' tweet.

From the Jets' perspective, the move makes sense: Pryce played for Jets coach Rex Ryan for three seasons while Ryan was the Ravens' defensive coordinator. It won't take Pryce long to get up to speed in the Jets' defense.

Pryce can take his termination pay from the Ravens and still play and get paid for the rest of the season for the Jets.

UPDATE: Just after we clicked publish on this item, PFT was able to confirm that Pryce is, indeed, going to the Jets.

Man I hate the Jets... :mad:

2. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Can you not say that this team is committed to winning? Is this not a team that the fans in NY can never ever bitch about trying to win the big one? I admire this team, their desire to win it all sits above making the best business decisions on every move. They know players win trophies...not GM's.

By the way - HOW YOU LIKE YOU SOME LT???!!!!
    ^ not directed at OP, just in general.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Clearly, you prefer the Dan Snyder approach to building a team, but what team has won a SB by signing a bunch of big name free agents? Just because the Chargers have a different philosophy does not mean they are not as committed to winning. The teams that have had the most success in the past decade (Pats, Steelers, Colts) have all done it by drafting well and retaining their top talent.

BTW, how about holding your beloved Jets to the same standard you do the Chargers? The Jets have not won **** in 40+ years, yet you are convinced that there approach is the right one. How come? Because they are 2-1 and they have signed a bunch of aging veterans and troubled receivers? I really don't see it.

As for LT, his problem the last two seasons is that he broke down physically. He could not stay healthy. That's what happens to RBs as they age. I wish him all the best and hope he stays healthy this year.

4. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    What kills your whole argument is the talent that has come and gone through Charger park far exceeds the talent of NY. They got a new HC a rookie QB and beat our *** in the playoffs. No excuses, they beat us. Yet you sit here today and clown their approach. Interesting.

They've been on the clock for 1 year. Lets see how they do over a 5 year span like we've had. :)

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Let's see just how far they go taking a ton of troubled and over the hill players onto their team before you annoit them the best. And for the record, no the jets did not beat us, we beat ourselves. The only thing the Jets did was not get in our way during out mistakes.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    *in before shitstorm*

7. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I agree we made mistakes, but the Jets put the pressure on that those mistakes became costly. We've made mistakes and won before, to inferior teams. Not that Jets team. Blaming our mistakes on them is a classic loser attitude. (Not saying you have one, just on this topic thats what it sounds like).

I'm not crowning them the best, I'm just saying these dudes want to win and will spend the money, get the free agents and do whatever it takes to retain talent. I envy that.

And as far as a bunch of problems being singed and that blowing up on them, I believe Rex Ryan sets the tone and all of those guys are excited to play for him and with each other. They have chemistry, not chaos. It starts at the top, with expectations following.

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I hate the jets.

I don't think they will do better than us this season.

However...I do think hat the Jets are actively trying to WIN A SUPERBOWL by the way they are aggressive in Free Agency and with signing up their best players etc..

It remains to be seen if its all successful or not ;)

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Last year's Jets team was not full of a bunch of high-priced free agents. It was built mostly through the draft--Revis, D'Brick, Shonne Green, Mangold, Sanchez. I'm not criticizing last year's team. I'm criticizing this year's. They have brought in too many new faces and it's going to end up biting them in the ***.

You can say there's no excuses for the Chargers losing last year in the playoffs and there isn't. But one playoff loss does not prove that the Jets approach is better than the Chargers. It proves they scored more points on that day. I'll put up the Chargers recent history against the Jets 9-7 year and a couple of playoff wins. The Chargers have had some unbelievably bad breaks (injuries) and boneheaded plays in the postseason. They've lost a series of close, heartbreaking playoff games. But the front office has assembled a team that has the ability to win a Lombardi. Whether they put it all together remains to be seen.

I'll say it again. This team is light year's better than last years. Better defensive line, better linebackers, better secondary. The offensive line is run blocking much better than last year. The running backs have the potential to be a lot better than the injured version of LT we saw last year. The only place they seem to have regressed is on special teams. But hopefully they can fix that. With the offense and defense this team has, the special teams do not have to be great. They just need to be average for this team to have a legitimate shot at a Lombardi.

10. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Definitely. They could tank big time. I dont think it will happen with that HC, but they could. :)

And when we are playing them or if we meet again in the playoffs. **** THE JETS!

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The record's stuck
    The record's stuck
    The record's stuck

The record's stuck
    The record's stuck
    The record's stuck

The record's stuck
    The record's stuck
    The record's stuck

12. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I dont think their approach is better but what we dont know is that its worse. I envy their aggressive approach. If they dont win it all, they can say (like we love to :) ) that they made the playoffs and put together a team to win the superbowl that didnt get it done. And fans will have to agree with that. When the Chargers say that, guys like me go "not so fast". I cant say that about the Jets this year. They are making moves.

IF" their strategy blows up on them I'll be here with you to laugh about it. I'm guaranteeing that with Rex at the helm a blowup is not possible, just falling short of their goal.

Good post by the way! :)

13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    They can load up on all the old vets they want, we saw how well it worked for the Broncos last season.

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Look at the last several SB winners. Were they built mostly through big name acquisitions or through the draft? You tell me. Using recent history, we do know which approach is better--building through the draft, retaining your talent and signing an occasional free agent to fill a need. That's the approach that's worked for almost every SB team in the last decade. The Jets "aggressive" approach is the same approach employed by the Redskins and several other offseason/free agency winners and regular season losers. The Jets have a good foundation, as last year proved, but I'm not so sure that all of these acquisitions have actually made them any better.