1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Terrence Cody weighs in at 348 Wednesday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Alabama NT Terrence Cody reportedly weighed in at 6'4/348 at the Crimson Tide's Wednesday Pro Day.
    Since weighing 370 at the Senior Bowl, Cody has dropped an impressive 22 pounds. He's shed six lbs. since the Combine, and still benched 225 pounds a whopping 32 times on Wednesday. Cody remains squarely in the first-round mix for a league placing more emphasis on nose tackles than ever. Mar. 10 - 1:36 pm et
    Source: Alvin Keels on Twitter

To see more Terrence Cody news items click here...

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'd take him.

3. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    He'll be north of 380 by training camp after he cashes in.

4. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    That's a huge b!tch!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  7. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Bro or Manzier?

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm impressed. He's a guy I could draft at this point. It also means that if he gets picked lower than we draft, Williams could fall to us.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I think he learned the error of his ways (or weighs) coming in so heavy at the senior bowl. He's clearly worked hard to drop weight. He also fits with what we want to do defensively very well.

So I don't see why we wouldn't at least consider him

10. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    If he's there, take him.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    With severe weight restriction clauses in his contract.

12. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh but we've shown that we aren't afraid to cut people bc they don't work out or even trade them too. I mean we have cut more stars in the last month than OJ simpson at a sword convention could ever hope to.:icon_shrug:

13. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    This. :yes: Otherwise he'll be living in his Coronado Island mansion eating pizza and ice cream all day. There's an extreme upside/downside with him. Cody can be the best, but will he? He definitely needs a full-time personal trainer, I think that goes without saying.

14. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Agreed- he would be perfect for our 3-4 and now especially without Jamal

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I've been saying for some time get him a FT trainer/nutritionist, even though it apparently hasn't needed to be said. :icon_tease:

Chavez expressed the concern of many - will he get paid & then go Hindenburg? That's one that can't be answered in advance which makes him arguably the most likely candidate for "boom or bust" in this draft.

He's certainly showing more desire to get in better shape than fat *** Andre Smith did last year.

Would I take him at 28? I've been back & forth on this but yeah - I'm 99% certain at this point that I would. And then I'll be praying that Spikes drops to 60 or we pull a higher pick out of someone's arse. :yes:

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Just goes to show he is willing to work hard the closer to his payday he gets. I don't want him unless there is a stipulation in his contact saying he is required to stay under 350 from the 1st day of training camp to the last day of the season. If he isn't willing to agree to that, I wouldn't touch him

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    You don't think that he will work hard under the eyes of the Chargers coaching staff? I'm just thinking that he stopped caring for a little bit, discovered the errors of his ways, and got back to work. I don't see anything to suggest he only is doing this because he's getting closer to payday.

Though I would agree that in his contract he should be forced to stay no heavier than 350

18. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Are they even allowed to put that in the contract? I'm sure that he'll be fine if he can get a physical trainer but a 2 down NT as a 1st round pick? Cmon guys our defensive line isn't THAT bad. give Nwagbuo a chance at least... Running back is a more pressing need and unless we can some how manage to get a very high second round pick (maybe our 2nd and Whitehurst for Seattles second) then we gotta get Ryan Mathews

19. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    But you have to admit that there is a lot of uncertainty as to how it plays out which IMO makes him too big of a risk for a first round pick. I would take him in the second or third round if he's there. What good is a weight clause when he gets a big 1st round signing bonus?

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    where he stands right now I guarantee he won't make it past the top 10 picks in the second round. He's done enough that everyone is suggesting he's either back in the late first round or the early second round. If we pass on him, and you could make a claim as to whether its better to grab Matthews or Taylor Mays or Jared Oddrick, Cody won't go past Buffalo in the second.

NT in a 3-4 get drafted in very limited quantities in the draft. Exceptional NTs are few and far in between. Cody has the potential to be dominant even with his risks. All draft picks are some sort of risk, and based on his recent hard work, I think he gets it more now then he got it before.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not a mind reader, so I have no idea what the Chargers coaches will think. I know that I don't think he is a hard working player, and is nothing more than a 2 down player. We need more than that from a 1st round pick. If Dan Williams is not available at #28, then NT shouldn't be an option in the 1st. We should be looking for Cam Thomas in the 2nd

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And the odds of him being a complete bust are just as high. Too much risk for a 1st round pick.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Williams brings nothing more to the table than Cody & Cam Thomas is a consolation prize compared to either.

You actually think that a mediocre mid-round RB is going to do more for us to win a championship than stiffening this defense?

I got some swamp land for sale .... :lol:

24. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't get the question, IF AJ "stiffens" the defense with the first round pick (and maybe 2nd and 3rd) THEN a mid-round RB is what we would get :icon_huh:

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No, I am saying we need to get much better on defense, which is why we should hold off on a RB and go defense early. But Cody is a fat slob who will only be a 2 down player AT BEST and isn't worth a 1st round pick

26. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    If hes there at 28..WE GOTTA TAKE HIM!!

I think it will be a miricle if he makes it that far! I predicting he could go in the first 15 picks...maybe even top 10.

Ted Washington played pretty good at 370 pounds once!! so I wouldn't be too upset if ballons slightly.

He has dropped alot of weight to this point, so you know he has the mentality to pull it off when he is motivated...

..we just have to keep him motivated.

27. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Donuts should do the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes, he has proven he can do it temporarily, he hasn't proven he can do it overt he course of a full season. With a clause in his contract requiring him to stay under 350, I don't touch him

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    [​IMG]

30. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Even if he does stay below weight, his gamefilm isn't exactly impressive. He's a 2 down player who jogs around the field, and is completely useless against teams that spread out and pass.

There is no way I'd spend a 1st round pick on him.