1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Terry Bradshaw Says He Used Steroids

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Terry Bradshaw Says He Used Steroids

Posted Jun 23rd 2008 6:17PM by Michael David Smith
    Filed under: Steelers, NFL Media Watch, Pittsburgh, PEDs

[​IMG]

Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw said in a radio interview with Dan Patrick last week that he used steroids during the 1970s, when he was leading the Pittsburgh Steelers to four Super Bowl titles.

Bradshaw indicated that he obtained the steroids with a doctor's prescription, and that his primary motivation in using them was to recover from injuries, not to build muscle.

"We did steroids to get away the aches and the speed of healing," Bradshaw said. "My use of steroids from a doctor was to speed up injury, and thought nothing of it. ... It was to speed up the healing process, that was it. It wasn't to get bigger and stronger and faster."

It's been well established that several players on the great Steelers teams of the 1970s used steroids, but this is, I think, the first time Bradshaw has said he used them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Ah big deal! They shot up with cortisone shots and everything else back then.

4. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    To bad they didn't help his completion percentage or his TD to INT ratio

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    If the CB's couldnt mug the WR's then as they cant today, he would have a better %

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Prepare yourselves Chargers fans:

We're going to the Superbowl. :lol: :bolt: :yes:

7. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    He only had better than the league average in 6 of his 13 years with 8 or more games played, and in 2 of those he was pretty much at the league average.

He was an average QB who played with an awesome defense.

He was first team all-pro only once, and only made the pro bowl 3 times.

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    That and he went to La Tech because he was too stupid to get into LSU (by his own admission).

Glad I stopped I stopped by today. Nothing like slamming a La Tech grad to get the morning going.:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I wonder if he'll get a 4-game suspension...:icon_huh:

10. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Using steroids under a doctor's supervision is a whole different issue than scoring them from somebody in the weight room and using them without medical supervision.

Terry played when the motto was "better playing through modern chemistry" and it was pretty much anything goes.
    Not to say this doesn't happen today, but the probability of getting caught is a tad better in today's NFL.

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Too bad it didn't give him lockjaw or something. I can't stand to see this drooling moron blabber on and on about stupid stuff. Terry Bradshaw is an idiot. And isn't using something to have super human healing abilities still cheating??? Why is he trying to justify it. Shut up Terry.

12. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    BFD

Yesteryear teams were handing out beenies (speed) like they were chicklets.

OT: does anyone have a pic of Bradshaw without his front teeth?

13. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    I agree BFD. Players were shot up with cortisone on a regular basis to treat muscle pulls and other ailments. It was common practice on every team. If that was the "steroid" he was using, whoopee. That **** will not turn you into Hulk Hogan.

Hasn't everyone seem North Dallas Forty? That was the NFL back then. Anything to kill the pain and get the player back on the field.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Dr. Arnold Mandell, Gene Klein, Harlan Svare and others stated that other teams were as guilty as they were, but unfortunately for them, not as blatant. The Russian weight lifters were the example everyone had in mind when they began using steroids just about everywhere else. East German women swimmers had them foisted on their bodies in large amounts, now many of them have serious to catastrophic health problems. Lyle Alzado died of brain cancer due to steroid side effects. Walt Sweeney was cursed by the aftermath as well. The next generation is being used now, but the testing lags.

16. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I listened to that interview live. He also said something about worrying about dieing early due to the steroid use. I always thought that it was well known that teams like the Raiders and Steelers took steroids back in the seventies?

17. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I'm sure he'll take he rings over all else.

18. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    And using steriods in the 70's under a doctor's supervision was a whole different issue than using them today under a doctors supervision.

And "anything probably did go"... into their bodies based on how unrefined the production and knowledge of steroids were back then.

19. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Actually, it wasn't an issue at all back then. Its only "news" in modern times. ;)