1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Texas Gov. Perry selling San Antonio to Spanos, Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Aug 1, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Texas-Gov-Perry-selling-San-Antonio-to-Spanos-?urn=nfl,97963

2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The Chargers won't move to San Antonio. It's either SD, LA, or LV.

And Las Vegas is a long shot because the NFL doesn't want a team there.

3. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I don't think Texas is big enough for another team. The vast majority of NFL football fans are Cowboy fans. The Texans who are already in a big city have trouble filling seats, even when they are doing pretty good.

People from Texas love High School football and college football. This fact alone will make it very hard to make San Antonio a big market.

Las Vegas, LA, and San Diego are probably over double the market capacity, with LA being a lot more.

Hell Orange County is a bigger market than San Antonio,

• Like Like x 1
  4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Jerry Jones might not like a 3rd team in Texas, especially one as good and stacked for the next decade as the Bolts. It would take away from the spotlight of his Cowboys. :yes:

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah, we had a helluva time filling the Alamodome when the Saints played there :rolleyes:

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    There's the rub.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Jerry Jones has a billion dollar stadium to pay off, and doesn't want a superior team farking up his game. :flag:

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    :icon_shrug: Possibly the San Antonio Chargers? :icon_shrug:

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I would not be surprised at all if the Chargers went to San Antonio. The economic situation there is much better than it currently is in SoCal.

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Stay in SD but if they move...PLEASE come to Vegas!!!

That would be my dream scenario :yes:

12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Same here but as well I would not mind if the Charger were to go to San Antonio.

13. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I would.

There's no reason for Dean to move to San Antonio. Dean loves So. Cal and his kids are going to eventually take over the team. Jerry Jones won't allow another team to move to Texas. The NFL doesn't want to lose the entire So. Cal market. The team loses it's fan base.

It's not like he's from San Antonio or has any plans to sell the team. There's no motive at all to move the team to San Antonio, and there are way too many roadblocks to even make an effort towards it.

I would say there's 0.01% chance the Chargers move to San Antonio, and the only reason it's not 0% is because an unforeseen event could happen, like the entire Spanos family dying and we're forced to have new ownership that happens to be from SA, or if So. Cal goes completely under water or something else like that.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    There was a time when George Bush Sr. and Bill Clinton were making appearances together. Could it be that one will be president and the other vice president in the same administration in Election 2012? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I don't see it, but if they leave 'Dago (pre-emptive comment here, as I don't want them to leave my home town), I'd love for them to land in San Antone...I jes don't see it :no:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    NFL has absolutely ZERO interest in getting a team to San Antonio and no NFL owner(s) have an interest in going there.

So the Alamo filled up when the Saints played there. So what? It would have done well if in they played in any other city that doesn't have a team.
    Though it probably did do better there because it was a shorter trip for people of Louisiana.

Browns sold out all the time in Cleveland (before Modell moved them out) but the stadium was absolute crap and the city built the "Rock n Roll HOF," a science center, and the Indians ball park around it as they refused to talk about a new football stadium.

Colts sold out all the time in Baltimore until Jim "The Drunk" Irasy became owner and drove the franchise into the ground. Regardless, Baltimore offered him a new stadium and he moved out anyway.
    Their attendance was horrible in Indianapolis until the Manning era.

Raiders never sell out and have a **** hole stadium but still do good with television ratings (even when they suck.)

BOTTOM LINE... It's not just about attendance and Spanos is in a better situation NOW than he would ever be in San Antonio.

17. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Bottom Line.....

chargers will not move to san antonio. they will stay in so cal somewhere.

18. chiefsgal

chiefsgal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +443

you are so right...jerry won't let another team come to texas, believe it...and the spurs own san antonio....:yes::icon_shrug:

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I heard from a co-worker that the Texas Gov was MCRD this weekend participating in the graduation ceremony (her stepson was graduating). Not sure if this is the real reason he was in SD, but there is a good possibility.

20. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The NFL will lose the Southern California fans but will gain the central California fans. If the chargers will move to LA.

Too many fans of the Chargers that I have spoken to have said they would not be fans of the chargers if they moved back to LA. The fans do not want the converted Raider fans from the LA Raider times to start their thug mentality but with the Chargers. They do not want that part of the LA fanship to be part of the Chargers. The NFL will lose a lot of fans because of it.

21. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I'd puke until I died if they moved to Texas. I could tolerate Las Vegas...but I'm sick of Texas and their we're bigger and better than everyone else. The Chargers are too damn good looking to ever play in cowturd country :no:

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Were you aware that Mt Miguel High School was nicknamed Cow Pie Hi?? :rolleyes:

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    ...and the Mavs, as well :icon_tease:

24. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    If it comes down to it - see ya in the obits. :)

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I say "the reporters are jonesing for something to write about and were hoping this would make a big story."

26. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I won't go down without a fight...:puke::puke::puke::dead:

27. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Maybe, but if the city of San Diego or even the county does nothing to try and keep them in San Diego county would those fans still fell the same way? What if it was Anaheim instead of LA?

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That about covers it. An independently constructed stadium without other major interests involved doesn't compute with a sufficient return on investment. I've said it before, the current climate is poisonous for big stadium projects, with the exception of Dallas and Jones, who sits in a unique situation.

29. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

that's not what we Foothillers called them!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Grossmont sucks!! :icon_evil: