1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

TFC ranks AFC Defensive Ends

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheLash, May 17, 2007.

1. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=208472

#3. Chargers. Luis Castillo is 290 pounds and moves like a linebacker. Igor Olshansky is very strong and has improved as pass rusher in the past year. Supersub Jacques Cesaire has filled in on both sides and would start on a lesser defense

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    The raiders should be way higher then they are. Quentin moses would have been a top 5 pick last season and was the #1 DE but he was being double,triple teamed all season so his number slipped. The raiders will pair moses,burgess for one of the best pass rushing tandems. Jared allen is overated and Tamba hali is good but not better then burgess neither are the chargers DEs. The broncos have two rookies just like oakland and they have no good pass rusher outside of that so why are the ranked so high.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    You have a very good sack end in Burgess, and you cut your former starter Johnstone
    So your really no different then the dolphins except their returning end is the D-POY.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    :yes: :yes:

5. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

Not true the phins dont have another good D-end the raiders do they've got quentin Moses who is a beast of a D-end.
    here is his video
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fo.../2007/video/?c=NFL+Team&p=86496&s=1518248dong forget we have two elite DTs in sapp,sands and an abover average one in tommy kelly. The rankings there are very skewed titans,donks,chiefs,steelers,bills,texans all ahead of oakland no way.

my rankings

1.pats
    2.ravens
    3. SD
    4.colts
    5.fins
    6.bears
    7.oak
    8.bengals
    9.chiefs
    10.steelers
    11.GB

6. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    that list sounds more like it

7. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    While I don't know if you guys should be ranked higher, I agree the Broncos are ranked WAY too high. Their pass rush is not that good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Richard Seymour is overrated.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    To bad this list is just top DEs. If it was top front 7 there is no way we're not #1. Even just top DEs, we could make a very valid arguement that we should be #1. Seymour is good, but I do agree he's benefited from the Patriot hype machine. He is overrated.

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    If anyone has ever noticed. When seymour is out the pats defense is a bunch of candy ashed wimps. When he plays they have a pretty solid defense.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    LOL:abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    1. This isn't about DTs that has either come and gone or they'll do it eventually
    2. Quentin Moses had a piss poor senior year and looked godawful in every practice and workout and combine he went to. Should i throw away that much evidence for his one good junior year?
    3. I agree about the Donks, Bills and Texans but not the rest

13. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    I'm surprised the raiders even made in the top 16 AFC teams. I had them ranked 17th, right behind the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Which is pretty good compared to the Browns who ranked 20th in the AFC and they are horrible.:abq1:

14. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I dont know who your source is but i heard other wise on moses and his game film shows it, combine he had wasnt bad at all he didnt have the best 40 but other then that he did well. Moses was getting doubles and tripples so i wouldnt expect him too have the best stats.

15. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

hes the best DE in the Nfl and there D-line is amongat the best as well when healthy.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sez you! I'll put a healthy Luis over Seymour all day long! Luis is a more complete DE - plays run & pass equally well. Seymour gets trapped on runs much more than Luis. He has the edge on pass rushing, but if Luis stays healthy this year that will change.

17. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    :icon_rofl:

cowboys, chargers will be competing for top spot this year.

18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    leisure, you managed to use the word post (in some form or another) three times in one sentence... post-tacular

• Like Like x 1
  19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The fact that you and tha rock endorse him so strongly just proves my point.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I read a quote that said, "When Richard Seymour plays to his potential he's dominant."a I read that as, "Seymour often does not play to his potential." Great players don't take plays off, and they don't have their work ethic and competitiveness regularly called into question.

I'll say it again--Seymour is overrated. He might have the most talent of any DE in the league, but what does that matter if he only plays to his ability when he feels like it?

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Your right he is no longer over rated. Everyone knows he is trash now.

21. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Regarding the rock and his ***** over the rookie: Quentin Moses hasn't proven jack in the NFL. We all know that college performance doesn't translate to success in the NFL. Not to say he won't be good, but he probably shouldn't even be used in the same breath as some of the proven DE's of the league.

------

Regarding Richard Seymour...

Luis Castillo and Richard Seymour are pretty comparable.

Richard Seymour's stats the last 2 years.
    28 Games: 57 Tackles, 29 Assists, 8 Sacks, 11 Pass Deflections.

Luis Castillo's stat's last year
    26 Games: 65 Tackles, 21 Assists, 10.5 Sacks, 3 Pass Deflections.

Luis however came on a lot stronger after his rookie campaign and will only get better.

Richard Seymour's stats last year
    16 Games: 22 Tackles, 18 Assists, 4 Sacks, 7 Pass Deflections

Luis Castillo's stats last year
    10 Games: 28 Tackles, 9 Assists, 7 Sacks, 0 Pass Deflections

They both seem to get great penetration with Castillo having the edge getting to the QB. Stats alone don't indicate who is better as there are so many variables to consider. With both defenses it's almost pick your poison.

• Like Like x 1
  22. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    Nice stats. Kind of hard to beat that argument.:tup:

23. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Come on man, don't be such a homer. The Raiders are rated kind of low but damn you make it sound like they're the best Dline in the NFL. They're definitely better than the Broncos though.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Regarding last year's stats, Seymour had 40 tackles and 4 sacks in 16 games. Luis had 37 tackles and 7 sacks in 10 games. I know stats are not the end all, be all. But Seymour is just a ridiculously hyped player. Whenever I watch the Pats he seems to disappear for long stretches of time.

25. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54

Only 3?:icon_shrug: :icon_tease:

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I fixed it, smart ***. :icon_tease: :lol:

27. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Seymour may be overrated, but the guy is a great player. Castillo first needs to prove he can play all season, but he has the skills to be better than Seymour, Castillo is a better pass-rusher already, but we'll see if teams focus on him more.

28. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I agree that Seymour's a great player. I just think he's overhyped. He's not the best DE in the league.

With Phillips and Merriman, I think it's going to be tough for teams to focus on Castillo.

I don't think there's any doubt that Luis can stay healthy for an entire season. He did it in his rookie year. Last year's ankle injury was a fluke. He tripped over the QB when he jumped up to celebrate a sack. I have a hard time seeing that becoming a recurring problem.

Barring injury, the Bolts' front seven should have 4 pro bowlers this year--Luis, Jamal, Shaun and Shawne.

29. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    yep..all 4 of those are Pro bowlers:tup: :tup: