1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks Gates but you gotta sit!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Sep 18, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Painfully obvious today that Gates has lost a step due to his continuing injury. I would like to see him sit until the playoffs. We will need to look for his replacement in the next draft.

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I'm going OT and OLB before TE. Course with AJs draft acumen, we should be able to get a good TE in the 3rd round ;)

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Really? After one game? We gave L.T 2 seasons. Lets give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He deserves it.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I doubt he was injured, nothing suggesting he had any trouble during injury reports etc. It might just be this is the first time he's been held catchless since being a starter.

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    This is a very silly thread.

6. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    two too many. We need to wise up and get ready. Even if he plays at an allstar level 3 or 4 more years that would give us time to develop a talented replacement and 2nd tight end for 2 te sets that could cause nightmares for other t eams. No one wins the battle with time.

7. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    So you all believe everything is fine with Gates? No need to look at our future at the TE position? Ok keep your heads in the clouds.

8. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I agree with doug. No one wanted to listen to his forsight with kaeding in the playoffs. Look where that led the team... It would be stupid not to be prepared. I don't think he's trying to say gates's career is over. He could even be good but this may be the start of his decline. He will still have more shelf life than LT just by virue of the two positions but having a second all pro calibre tight end could be enough to push this offense to historic heights and offset the burden of norv and lead us to the superbowl. We could use him as H back even until gates is done or trade gates for massive rewards in draft picks while his value is high.

9. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Obviously he didn't have a great game. But give credit to the New England Defense it really had a plan against him. Also Norv and game plan was so horrible it completely forgot Gates was in there.

10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Point being that Gates has not been healthy in a long time. He couldn't even play in the pre season. He needs to sit until he is healthy or we need to conserve him for later in the season. What is so wrong with grooming his replacement?

11. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Even if gates is an all pro this year and the next 5 could it hurt having another dominating TE? Imagine Gate plus new dominate TE plus VJ and floyd and matthews. We could put up 50 points a game(if norv wasn't coach)

12. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Didn't he sign a contract last year or something? I'm sure he'd have a problem with it. But I guess doing that wouldn't be bad. Though resting him is not gonna work. Remember L.T in '09? Rested him most of the year and still was bad at the end.

13. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Maybe it was just patriots scheme today though. Look at how open VJack was sometimes. He had a career and contract day today despite frequent double coverage and floyd out most of the game. That probably also had alot do with it.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The Pats D did a nice job on Gates but he definitely isn't his former self. I would not be surprised in the least for some announcement regarding his health in the next few weeks.

I agree that we should be looking for another TE in the draft. It's never too early to be grooming such a vital cog in this offense. But sit Gates until the playoffs? Not so sure on that one. There may be a few games where I'd rest him, but time won't completely heal the issue that he has - at least not a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I would hope they draft some beef high up in the draft. Otherwise we will never score a TD when we run up the middle on 4th and goal.

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'm thinking the exact same thing. No way a 100% (or close to it) Gates gets held catch-less in a game. Having said that there did seem to be a policy of not going to Gates in the first half. In fact it'd be interesting to see how many times Philip went his way total in the game. Gates has beaten double coverage many times before as we all know. Last night Chung seemed to have great success bracketing him alone.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not sure how many times he threw at Gates for the game. I'd say off the cuff no more than 5. The 2nd INT was a ball thrown his way.

18. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    That interception was the only time rivers threw his way.

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You need to pay more attention than that....

20. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I agree, you dont rest him all year because he will get very rusty in that time. You have him in each game, pull him in games we are up by 3 scores in (Should be 3 or 4 of these this year), and limit his plays in the other ones. Give him 30 or 40 catches this season and let him take it somewhat easy on it until the playoffs. Draft a young TE next year and let him groom him for the next 2 years.

21. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    He should be able to sit out the next three games, if necessary. ;)

22. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Of course we should be looking for the TE of the future but one bad game does not make Gates useless.

Can we ease up on the panic button smashing please? It's week two.

23. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
  24. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    This. The guy looked like he was having a serious heart to heart with the team doctor in the third.

This injury will be with him the rest of his career. It will never fully heal. He will never be 100%. He'll still have some great games when his toe is better but he will miss other games and be largely or semi-inefectual in others. I wish to hell he could be healthy. He's such a great weapon. But he's not healthy and he won't be healthy. It sucks. But that's just how it is from here on out.

25. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Oh... and ^^ doesn't have anything to do with the Pats game. I felt this way last year and I didn't think that the Pats loss was the end of the world.

26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    This is exactly what I saw and it lead me to start this topic.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No it wasn't. But I expect a response like this from someone who's primary intent is to become B4L 2.0.

28. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Didn't Gates have the same injury in his other foot a few years ago? And he came back from that. To assume he will be hampered by the injury for the rest of his career is a bit premature. It takes more than a couple games to see whether Gates is back to 100%.

29. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    YEah it was. Thats even what the announcers said.

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I give a good **** what the announcers said. They were busy hanging from Brady's nutsack.

If you have to rely on the announcers to tell you what's going on in a game, then you should just stick to Madden sims.

• Like Like x 1