1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The 32 best defenders in the NFL

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Jul 19, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,558
    http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/07/fantasy-best-defenders180707.html

Of the 32 players on this list, 20 are first-round picks. The latest player chosen was in the sixth round, while one was taken in a past supplemental draft.

The team with the most representatives is New England (four), while eight other organizations have multiple representatives. Twelve teams didn't have a good enough defender to make the list.

1.) Shawne Merriman, LB, San Diego Chargers - Despite a four-game suspension for steroids last season, Merriman still finished with an NFL-best 17 sacks for the 14-2 Chargers. In his first two years, the 6-foot-4, 272-pounder has 27 sacks in as many regular-season games. Merriman, 23, is on his way to becoming the modern-day Lawrence Taylor.

14.) Jamal Williams, DT, San Diego Chargers - The 348-pound Williams, one of the best in the league at plugging up the middle, is a two-time Pro Bowler and one-time All-Pro. The 31-year-old finished last season with a career-best 69 tackles as a member of one of the game's top defensive units.

20.) Luis Castillo, DL, San Diego Chargers - Shawne Merriman is no doubt the most well-known defender on San Diego's roster, but Castillo shouldn't be that far behind. The two-year veteran has some more developing to do, obviously, but he still totaled 37 tackles and seven sacks in only 10 games last season. Like New England's Richard Seymour, the 6-3, 290-pound Castillo has the versatility to rotate between end and tackle, making him that much more valuable.

I'm not sure how Shaun Phillips didn't even get honorable mention.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I think Jamal is a lot better then some of the guys ahead of him. The guy making the list seems to have a bias towards whatever the stats for a given position.

Guys like Jamal are a lot more important then the stats they produce. In my book the thing anyone on a list has to has is the ability to make the players around them better. THere is a noticable dropoff in the play by the DL when Castillo or Williams is out.

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I hope Merriman doesn't start doing coke...

4. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I was a diehard NY Giant fan as a kid (following the footsteps of my older brother) and I can tell you, if Merriman did coke, stayed up until 2 & 3 am with groupies and came into a game that same day and racked up 3 sacks, fumble recoveries, etc like Taylor did.......I'd be his personal drug mule minus the balloons up the bunghole :icon_tease:

Warning: the views represented above are merely those of a very tired person who had a 1 yr old keeping him up all night trying to be sarcastic and funny without success. These views are not truly a representation of the author or those of this board. Thank you and good night.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

WTF?!!!!! :icon_evil: :mad: :censored:

6. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,319
    Can someone explain the difference between Pro-Bowl player and All Pro player?

7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Pro bowl is conference specific and fan voted, all pro is the whole NFL and selected by the press, I believe.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,986

If I'm not mistaken it used to be All-Pro only and they played in an alternating site year by year. In the late 70's they switched it to the Pro-Bowl to include more players at the same positions. All-Pro is now the one best player at his position for the previous year I do believe. Course, I could be wrong, but I do know the All-pro players did practice in San Diego at the old Master Host Inn one year and I have some autographs from some players, including OJ Simpson, Franco Harris and a few other.:bolt:

9. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,319
    I thought that Pro-Bowl players were refered to as "All-Pro"...:icon_huh:

Where is Shammy when you need him...

10. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,319
    If if he thinks he does, and has a high self esteem then in fact does that not indicate that he knows what he thinks he knows by default?:icon_shrug:

11. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028