1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The 32 best defenders in the NFL

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Jul 19, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/07/fantasy-best-defenders180707.html

Of the 32 players on this list, 20 are first-round picks. The latest player chosen was in the sixth round, while one was taken in a past supplemental draft.

The team with the most representatives is New England (four), while eight other organizations have multiple representatives. Twelve teams didn't have a good enough defender to make the list.

1.) Shawne Merriman, LB, San Diego Chargers - Despite a four-game suspension for steroids last season, Merriman still finished with an NFL-best 17 sacks for the 14-2 Chargers. In his first two years, the 6-foot-4, 272-pounder has 27 sacks in as many regular-season games. Merriman, 23, is on his way to becoming the modern-day Lawrence Taylor.

14.) Jamal Williams, DT, San Diego Chargers - The 348-pound Williams, one of the best in the league at plugging up the middle, is a two-time Pro Bowler and one-time All-Pro. The 31-year-old finished last season with a career-best 69 tackles as a member of one of the game's top defensive units.

20.) Luis Castillo, DL, San Diego Chargers - Shawne Merriman is no doubt the most well-known defender on San Diego's roster, but Castillo shouldn't be that far behind. The two-year veteran has some more developing to do, obviously, but he still totaled 37 tackles and seven sacks in only 10 games last season. Like New England's Richard Seymour, the 6-3, 290-pound Castillo has the versatility to rotate between end and tackle, making him that much more valuable.

I'm not sure how Shaun Phillips didn't even get honorable mention.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I think Jamal is a lot better then some of the guys ahead of him. The guy making the list seems to have a bias towards whatever the stats for a given position.

Guys like Jamal are a lot more important then the stats they produce. In my book the thing anyone on a list has to has is the ability to make the players around them better. THere is a noticable dropoff in the play by the DL when Castillo or Williams is out.

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I hope Merriman doesn't start doing coke...

4. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I was a diehard NY Giant fan as a kid (following the footsteps of my older brother) and I can tell you, if Merriman did coke, stayed up until 2 & 3 am with groupies and came into a game that same day and racked up 3 sacks, fumble recoveries, etc like Taylor did.......I'd be his personal drug mule minus the balloons up the bunghole :icon_tease:

Warning: the views represented above are merely those of a very tired person who had a 1 yr old keeping him up all night trying to be sarcastic and funny without success. These views are not truly a representation of the author or those of this board. Thank you and good night.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

WTF?!!!!! :icon_evil: :mad: :censored:

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Can someone explain the difference between Pro-Bowl player and All Pro player?

7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Pro bowl is conference specific and fan voted, all pro is the whole NFL and selected by the press, I believe.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

If I'm not mistaken it used to be All-Pro only and they played in an alternating site year by year. In the late 70's they switched it to the Pro-Bowl to include more players at the same positions. All-Pro is now the one best player at his position for the previous year I do believe. Course, I could be wrong, but I do know the All-pro players did practice in San Diego at the old Master Host Inn one year and I have some autographs from some players, including OJ Simpson, Franco Harris and a few other.:bolt:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I thought that Pro-Bowl players were refered to as "All-Pro"...:icon_huh:

Where is Shammy when you need him...

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If if he thinks he does, and has a high self esteem then in fact does that not indicate that he knows what he thinks he knows by default?:icon_shrug:

11. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028