1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The All Ex-Chargers Team: A.J. Smith Version

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com

A.J. Smith earned his reputation by identifying talented players and locking them up to long-term deals. But what about the ones who got away? Michael Lombardo rolls out his All Ex-Chargers Team, featuring the best players Smith helped bring to San Diego -- as either GM or assistant GM -- who failed to demonstrate staying power.

OFFENSE

QB: Drew Brees – The drafting of Philip Rivers sealed his fate.
    RB: Jesse Chatman – Big skills and an even bigger appetite.
    FB: Joey Goodspeed – A blue-collar blocker with an ironic last name.
    LT: Leander Jordan – How Marty Schottenheimer saw him as a left tackle is baffling.
    LG: Toniu Fonoti – He makes Chatman look like a light weight.
    C: Jason Ball – Better at blocking nose tackles than negotiating contracts.
    RG: Kelvin Garmon – Powerful lineman lacked agility and stamina.
    RT: Courtney Van Buren – This tease of a prospect was talented but injury prone.
    TE: Justin Peelle – Good at everything, not great at anything.
    WR: David Boston – Looks better in a mirror than on the field.
    WR: Terry Charles – Early knee injuries derailed a promising career.

DEFENSE

LDE: Marcellus Wiley – Never as talented as he thought he was.
    NT: Jason Fisk – He became expendable in the switch to the 3-4 scheme.
    RDE: Dave Ball – Lacked the ability to anchor at the point of attack.
    OLB: Steve Foley – Police officers on power trips always spell trouble.
    ILB: Sam Rogers – Followed the initial migration to Buffalo West.
    ILB: John Holecek – Another former Bill who was merely a stopgap in San Diego.
    OLB: Ben Leber – Was understandably beat out by Shawne Merriman.
    CB: Ryan McNeil – Had eight picks in 2001 then fizzled from there on out.
    CB: Tay Cody – A bust in the NFL is now a star with the CFL’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
    SS: Terrence Kiel – Legal troubles hastened the end of an unspectacular career.
    FS: Bhawoh Jue – He was never the same after microfracture surgery in 2006.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    didn't Butler bring in Fonoti, Boston and Wiley?

There must be a coupla more on that list

:icon_huh:

edit: nevermind, I just read the assistant GM part

3. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Anybody remember this guy? I remember thinking that this guy was a keeper and a small school phenom, but I didn't have the luxury of using message boards back then. What was the vibe on him back then?

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Fonoti was a major disapointment!!! too bad he was more passionate about eating that football.

With that said.. F**K STEVE FOLEY!!!
    Plenty of talent but what a waste of life!!!

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    WTF? You blame the victim of cop on a power trip. This was a horrible thing that happened and Aaron Mansker should be hung out to dry for his actions that night.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If he was in his early 20's and this was his first (maybe even second) offense, I'd agree with you.

But he's 31 and had several alcohol related run ins with the police. I met Foley twice and he was an extremely genuine person but that doesn't change the fact that he has a major drinking problem!!

It does sound like the police officer was trying to be a hero but that doesn't dismiss the fact what he was four times over the legal limit to drive.

The way I see it... after several times, he STILL didn't learn his lesson!! Better it happened the way it did before he killed somebody or killed himself!!!!

Face facts... Why should I feel sorry for a drunk driver?

Foley had wayyyy more money than you or me. He could have got a hotel to crawl back to or got cab/limo to get home.
    If you or I were the victim, would people be feeling sorry for us? F**K NO!!!!!

Yes, I'm sorry that it happened But it's his own fault!!!

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Really? How jaded you are to think nobody would care. I personally have written letters to the chief of police of San Diego for how they handled another incident. This victim was shot repeatedly by over zealous police officers and unfortunately did not survive. His crime. Being a mentally challenged homeless individual that was bothered some people at the taco bell on Midway drive. I felt sorry for this person, who did need to be dealt with, but his punishment (death) did not suit his crime. I would hope that many would show compassion if you or I were ever to have our lives destroyed by out of control cops. Maybe I just have more faith in people than you.

Yes, Foley was in the wrong, but does the punishment suit the crime? Should everyone that drives under the influence be shot multiple times by a cop on a misguided power trip? You might think so, but I vehemently disagree.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Again... this isn't the first, second or third time he got in this kind of trouble. More like the fourth, fifth or sixth time.

How many more chances should he get?
    Should he have to kill somebody to learn his lesson?
    Please explain.

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Again, this has nothing to do with Foley's crime (for which he was NEVER charged). It has to do with Aaron Mansker's actions that night and whether they were justified in this instance. He was not in a marked vehicle, not in uniform, not on duty, and did not show his badge. It was not right for Foley to be driving drunk, that is obvious, but it was not his driving that caused injury that night.

Do you at least agree that Mansker's actions were inappropriate for the situation? He could have reported the license plate number and left this for a uniformed officer to go to Foley's house. Instead he took it upon himself to follow and confront Foley without ever showing anything that would convince any reasonable person that he was indeed a cop. Mansker's actions were reckless and dangerous. The result of which left Steve Foley lying in a pool of his own blood on the street.

Mansker is a loose cannon and a dangerous cop. He's proved this.

So let me ask you these same questions:
    How many more chances should Mansker get?
    Should Mansker have to kill somebody to learn his lesson?
    Please explain.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As I said "It does sound like the police officer was trying to be a hero but that doesn't dismiss the fact what he (foley) was four times over the legal limit to drive."
    He was off duty. So what?

This has EVERYTHING to do with this... Foley was a repeat offender and they were ALL alcohol related!!!
    ALL Foley was thinking is "I afford another DWI."

What it ALL comes down to...
    He wasn't 18. He knew better.
    He has plenty of $$$$$$ for a hotel or cab/limo.
    After several alcohol run ins with the police, he didn't learn his lesson!!!!
    Face facts... if he got away with this one, he'd do it again and again and again and again. Only way he'd stop is if he killed somebody and that's only because he'd be behind bars!!!

11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I see you're repeating the same thing over and over. Yes, Foley was legally drunk. Yes, Foley wasn't 18. Yes, he most likely had enough money for a cab or limo. I'll even go one further and say Foley exercised extremely poor judgment.

I am not disputing whether Foley was in the wrong. I don't think there is a person on this board that will defend him driving drunk. You totally miss my point.

YES FOLEY WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!!

BUT!!! Did he deserve to be shot in this case? Your argument is that if Foley got away he would have driven drunk again, and if he got away with it that time, he would have driven drunk yet another time. And if he got away with it once again, well, the "ifs" could go on forever. Well, you might be right, or maybe not, we most likely won't know for sure.

I do know this. It all adds up to a lot of "ifs". I tell you this. If my grandma had balls, she'd be my grandpa. What is my point? My point is that all these ifs, couldas, shouldas, wouldlas don't mean ****. What matters is not who's actions coulda caused injury, but rather who's actions did cause injury.

Just so you won't get all up in a tizzy and repeat the same argument to me again. I UNDERSTAND THAT FOLEY WAS LEGALLY DRUNK. THIS IS NOT DISPUTED. What is at issue is Aaron Mansker's actions which absolutely caused severe injury and whether you feel nearly losing your life is an appropriate punishment for drunk driving.

Unless you have something else to add beyond your tired argument, please keep this thread back on topic. Honestly, this Mansker / Foley thing has been discussed to death.

• Like Like x 1
  12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Now for my opinion on the Foley and Mansker thing. When there is Foley wrong + Mansker wrong = really big wrong. Mistakes were made all around.

They were both wrong period. End of story. End of my rant.

Now back on topic.

I wish that the Chargers would have kept Ben Leber because in my opinion he is much better than either Cooper or Wilhelm.

We would have had Merriman, Phillips and Leber as the starters with either Cooper and or Wilhelm subbing in with each other as the starters in the mix as the dominating LB corp.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Leber was an OLB, not an ILB. I liked Leiber also, but no way he beats out Merriman or Phillips. So, if he could move to ILB, he's not going to beat out Cooper and I don't think he'd be able to beat out Wilhelm either. If Leber was here, he'd most likely be special teams and and LB depth. He's better off starting in Minnesota.

14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree that Leber is better in Minnesota than he would have been here.

I was thinking like you were saying in that I was placing him at ILB and train him for the potion. I would as well in passing situation put him out there with Merriman and Phillips. This is to help out our Safeties and CB's. We would have been better than we were this last year.

That is my opinion.

15. IGOR RULES

IGOR RULES BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Does Wes Welker count as a wide receiver?

He was "discovered" also by Aj Smith as an UFA and then he was released to make room for Clinton Hart. He was then signed by the Dolphins and the rest is history ...

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    he belongs there more then I think Terry Charles does

the interesting thing in all this is how many of these players went on to make an impact with some other team

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So we should allow off duty cops in an unmarked car to shoot people on a whim. It will be alright if they have had 'many' run ins with the law before.

Guilty before proven innocent doesnt sound right to me. Nor does vigilanty style shooting for drunk driving. There is a legal system for a reason, Mansker circumvented that.

But I am sure you will be fine with it until you, yourself are the victim. Which I hope is never the case, that you end up being a victim of the mindless violence you now defend.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

One thing you left out... Foley was a repeat offender. He had several DWI's and run ins with the police and they were ALL alcohol related.

Because he could afford to keep himself out of jail, he didn't feel he had a problem. Which is a shame because I'd like to have him on the team today.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Welker proved to be a better WR, I think than most of us thought he would. I thought he would be a special teams terror, but he has developed some moves to get relly good YAC.

That is one we let get away, I think Roach, the LB from last season may prove to be another.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Can we shoot you for being a repeat poster?:icon_shrug:

21. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    OK you two, time to hug and say you're sorry.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No! Cause my home brew is better than his!

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    So if the cop is off duty and sees a swerving car pass by, he should turn the other cheek and mind his own business. Huh?

According to the report, Foley charged the officer as he reached into his pocket. What would you have done if you were the officer (assuming the report is accurate)?

With that said... I hate to disapoint you but I will never be the victim of a situation like that because I know better!!!
    Keep in mind, the guy was 31 and this was well over his third offense. Some people never learn.

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Have you hugged a criminal today?

25. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    You make quality home brew too? Lastat's stuff is pretty damn good.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I don't hug people who compare me to a criminal and predict that one day I'll get shot.

Sorry Concudan but I've never had a police record and I'm not stupid enough to get hammered and get behind the wheel!!

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You keep saying that but you never bring it!!!

28. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Conc stop hoarding your Home Brew and share it with the rest of us. :icon_evil: :icon_tease:

At least you bring us some of his Brew to divulge in the excellence that is so fine and smooth to go down. :icon_beerbang: :bow: :thumbup:

Now back to talking about AJ's former built Chargers team.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I have brought it, shared it, and so on. Show up at the Mini Camp or Training Camp Tailgaters.

30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    We need a beer off at the first tailgate at the first home game of the year. Conc can have one of my tickets just so I can see this