1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The B4L Angst Fortified merge-fest

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Jan 18, 2010.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That's how our offense played today.

Don't argue, face facts... it's time for a coaching change.

I don't want to hear "he clinches the AFC West!!!" Look at our freakin' competition!!! That comment is a joke!!!

I don't want to hear about playoff wins!!! Look at the team he was given!!! That comment is a joke!!!

Now if you're happy with JUST playoff appearances and a few wins... by all means, Norv should stay. You want a Super Bowl... FACE FACTS!!!

Before some of you get bent... No, I am NOT saying "I told you so." In fact, I started to think he can do it and was ready to eat everything I've ever said about him (with pleasure).

It's been three years now... how many "there's always next seasons" are left?

This is NOT a bash thread... it's just facts. Take it how you please.

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Unprepared, Uninspired, and Undiciplined!!!

With that said... look at the success Rex Ryan is having in his rookie season with a rookie quarterback and with a team that finished 9-7 last season.

That should tell you something!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280

i admit, you were very right serve me up a piece of pie sir? however, if i may say, we just didnt jive like normally. would you be in favor of making RIVERA hc and dc, and norv just as oc?

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

No.

BTW... all the haters in here know who Sanchez's QB coach is... right?

5. Shabba

Shabba BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9

Sanchez did not win the game, the Chargers lost it. 2 missed FGs and stupid, stupid penalties. The Revis freak play was the game changer for me. Blame Norv all you like, but the fact is, this great bunch of players that everybody raves about let us down, not the coach.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

He didn't play great but he took advantage of any opportunity he got and that's all he had to do.

As for the players... this isn't the first time they've let us down and now it's time to face facts!
    If every student is failing in a class, it's time to start looking towards the teacher.
    If every employee is not contributing to the company, it's time to look at the supervisor.

7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

Sanchez wasn't that special. Their defense shut our offense down,

Kaeding killed us, dude must have some kind of jinx against the Jets. I hope we bring in another kicker, these type of games ruin kickers.

I was right about Rex though, I knew he'd be good (even if I can't stand his pompous style, but maybe that's just because he's the opponent.)

I wonder if they give Norv an extension or just let him play out that final year, I'd be surprised if they fired him.

ugh this sucks.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Considering that Sanchez is a rookie who started immediately, you have to give him credit.

Kaeding screwed up but we still should have scored more that 2 touchdowns.

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I will say that I was not impressed with Norv's post game presser from Chargers.com. He never took responsibility for anything, and I fully expect a platoon of assistants to get shown the door just like they have ever since Norv got here.

10. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334

Besides Kaeding's FUps......The play calling was pretty piss poor and not the same play calling that got us 13 wins. IMO.

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

Sanchez played it safe, and when you consider our defense was playing the run it's not like he had it that hard. I mean his only TD was on a drive that started like on the 20, the other one was a long run.

We made too many little mistakes that just added up, it was like the Pats game all over again. Rivers made 1 bad throw, that really hurt, the other one was a fluke int. The offense just never got in sync.

I was hoping you were wrong, and I'm sure you were as well. Sucks losing year after year.

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194

It feels a lot like that game, with one major difference. When Kaeding misses a 54 yard game tie-er, it's kind of like "worth a shot" (minus had Schottenheimer had just one more TO he would pull one more play at make it a 30-45 yarder). Blowing one ctually very good figgy and one "lucky strike" (40 is Nate's 20) is inexcusable. Like I said, I blame Nate for the loss, Norv and everyone else for the ****** play.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

We lost a football game that was very close to being a win. When y'all sober up, just maybe the light will click on. Then on the other hand I doubt it.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

EXACTLY!!!!

That onside kick was the worst call ever. There was no need to go for "all or nothing!"

15. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207

I think most would agree the onside kick was a bad call.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748

:yes:

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

very - norv, rivers, jackson etc all decided to have a ****** game all at once

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

But this time, we have a much better team with much more experience!

If you ask me, it was wayyyy than 2006. In that game, at least they were trying.

19. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329

Yep.

Even if it were for the sake of time it only would have saved about 5 seconds. If the Jets get pinned deep on that (likely given that everyone was up tight for the onside), given the same sequence of plays I'm not 100% sure Rex can go for it on 4th deep in Jet territory.

And think, we now have 7 months to hash over this... :tdown:

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yup. When they decided to go for it on 4th and 1, I was like "why shouldn't they? They have absolutely nothing to lose." :icon_evil:

21. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

What's really sad IMO, is our D came out and played great but our O let us down. Did the Jets even have a first down in the 1st quarter? We should have been up at least 14-0 in the first quarter IMO. Frustrating...

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Just to make sure the Cowher nut-lickers here are held to the truth ..... 15 years, one SB ring. 8 division titles, but since they don't mean ****.all, don't count those. If the SB is all that matters, then we just might have to give Norv another 10 years or so, huh? :icon_eek:

I don't like what happened yesterday any more than anyone else, but the blame isn't all on Norv, or Rivers, or LT, or Merriman, or Phillips, or so on & so on.

Yeah, let's get Cowher ..... give him until 2025 to win a SB here, too.

[​IMG]

23. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636

ok then...[/thread]

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

OK...

Cowher was in his ROOKIE season as head coach and handed a 7-9 team.
    First year... 11-5, made it to the playoffs
    second year... 9-7, made it to the playoffs.
    third year... 12-4, made it to the AFCC
    fourth year... 11-5, made it to the Super Bowl (and just missed winning it)

Norv was in his NINTH year as head coach and was given a 14-2 team and the team has been regressing since 07.

BTW... I'm not saying I want Cowher but I'll take him or Norv in a second (as would the rest of the world)!

BOTTOM LINE... Cowher was NOT handed a stella team or did he have 8 years of coaching experience under his belt!!!

Take the name calling else where and fact facts!!!

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Do you want Norv back next season? Why or why not?

This is not a bash thread.

If you ask me... this was a much tougher loss to swallow than 2006.

Starting with the opponent... how many guys on the Jets have been there and won it?
    ... A coach with three rings as opposed to a rookie.
    ... One of the best QBs of the decade as opposed to a rookie.
    ... The team of the decade as opposed to a team that's barley sniffed the playoffs in years.

Then there's the experience factor... for most of our team, this was their fourth straight season in the playoffs.

Then there's the talent factor... We're too damn good to be one and done!

IMO... we're continuing to regress since that 07 season.
    And I don't want to hear about how Norv kept us together after a bad start. Remember what the problem with Marty was?!!!

26. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

I want a real offensive and defensive line next year, but I'm afraid that we'll end up taking a runningback in the first round. What do I think of Norv? He's an average coach, nothing more. I think that this team can win the Superbowl with him as HC, but I don't think that he's the type who will take an average team and lead them to the title. We're stuck with him for a long time, so it's best to just get used to it. AJ won't be admitting he made a mistake anytime in the near future.

27. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96

An undisciplined team is something that really discouraged me...it is the same reason I wanted Marty canned--a complete disconnect with his players. But I could live with this alone.

It is how the players painted the picture of Norv as a "consistent" coach that bugs me...he did not play Charger football yesterday and called very few plays downfield as PR is used to. He essentially called three, one being well-defended, one being the fluke interception, and the final one allowing us back into the game.

Had we played Chargers football, the underneath game would have been opened up for Gates, and who knows, maybe Tomlinson would find more running room (maybe).

But Norv played into the strengths of our opponent, failing to realize that even if they have Revis that we must challenge him so that he respects our deep routes. Instead, we gave them very predictable coverage zones underneath to keep us denied all day, and I do not blame Rivers for not being able to find razor-thin windows with 2 defenders each--they knew that we were not going deep and played accordingly.

It is for this reason that I would regrettably fire Norv Turner as the head coach. He tried to be the leader and OC, but he failed to do both with success when it mattered the most.

28. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96

We have a very good O-line, as we proved all year and last game--they gave Rivers great time to throw the ball.

29. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

Should Norv have to tell Phillips not to headbutt after Drayton Florence in 2006? How many personal fouls did we have yesterday? 3? That's not coaching. Norv and Rivera put us in a position to win - these are grown men, not college kids.

30. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

Bottom five run blocking unit in the NFL as seen by game tape and any metric out there. There are times that I wonder if they can push the sled back on the practice field, much less an actual defensive line. Dielman and Hardwick are living off of the reputation they made in 06 and 07.

They are decent at pass protection though.