1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Bears have talked to Marcus Mcneil

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Sep 3, 2010.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Should the Chicago Bears ask for permission to talk with the San Diego Chargers about LT Marcus McNeill? I received an unconfirmed report from someone in the Chicago area who said thay they heard on a local Chicago sports talk station that the Chicago Bears have received permission to speak with the San Diego Chargers about acquiring Marcus McNeill. I cannot find any substantiating online information to support that, but if that were to be true, I would think Bears fans would be dancing in the streets.
    The Bears are lining up Chris Williams at left tackle, a 3rd year veteran who was the 14th pick in the first round for the Bears in 2008 out of Vanderbilt. Anyone who watched any Bears games last year realized that the offensive line for the Bears was quite simply offensive. QB Jay Cutler was sacked 35 times, and when he wasn’t being sacked he was running for his life. And if you feel comfortable heading into 210 with the Bears offensive line, you must have missed watching the Chicago Bears-Oakland Raiders game last week, when the Raiders sacked Chicago quarterbacks 6 times.
    Now McNeill, 6’7″ 340 pounds, is desiring a long term contract and the Chargers have not offered anything to him, other than lowering his tender offer this season as a restricted free agent. McNeill is a solid left tackle and I have no idea what the Chargers thinking is regarding not offering him a contract.
    But the underlying question is, would the Bears be willing to give up 2 second round picks for McNeill’s services and would they be willing to sign him to a long term deal. I’m sure if you asked Lovie Smith he would say yes, as I firmly believe his job is on the line this year, but would the Bears front office be willing to sign a player like McNeill to a long term contract. You would think they should be, as the left tackle position is so valuable to your offense, but many teams have been reluctant to sign any long term deals as the NFL heads into the 2011 season without any labor agreement and the unknown surrounding that situation.
    Chances are the Bears aren’t going to sign or even speak with McNeill, but the tip from someone in Chicago posed an interesting question. McNeill certainly would anchor Cutler’s blind side, which means he might actually get more than 2 seconds to throw the ball and he could cut way down on his interceptions. Then again, Bears fans are used to this sort of team behavior. Forbes magazine rated this as the NFL team with the most opportunity but the most neglected in the NFL. It’s a very good read on how the Bears are squandering their opportunities to capitalize on their market because of the ownership.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Who did you get this?

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If, in the unlikely event the Chargers are dangling MM in front of Chicago, they would be nuts not to pull the trigger. If they want to win now, then securing the left side of their OL would be imperative. My only question is, if we are also dangling VJ, how many first day picks can we afford to pay for. I would think AJ is looking at trades for active players with these choices. We will be fine if we sign the guys we have instead of investing lots of money in the draft crap shoot, but using stock piled picks to trade for proven players does make some sense.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I hope so. Obviously the chargers aren't interested in him anymore. Time to get 2nd rounders for both jackson and mcneil. Please.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    thats what I'm hoping big time for. 2nd rounders for them. That would give us capital to move in next years draft.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Use the franchise tag next year on whichever one does not cave and signs his tender.

7. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    i forgot where i found it all u got to do is google san diego charger news

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Did you hear what RC said? He thinks that AJ is more enclined to trade for ACTIVE PLAYERS vs draft picks. I dont see this at all. 2nd rounders all the way if either of these guys get dealt. Its not like we have ever really signed all draft picks year to year. Unless you start counting the B Waters'.