1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The big challenge: Polamalu vs. Gates

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06281/728335-66.stm <-- U know where the full article is.

Troy Polamalu's sore right shoulder has come a long way the past two or three weeks -- just in time for what should be his biggest challenge to date this season, San Diego tight end Antonio Gates.

Whomever gets the best of that matchup could determine whether the Steelers or Chargers win tonight. For Polamalu, though, Gates is just another in a long line of nimble, tall, muscular receivers misidentified as "tight ends" that flourish throughout the NFL.

"To tell you the truth," Polamalu said, "I don't think he's any harder to cover than any of the other tight ends. The reason I say that is there are great tight ends all over the place."

After Gates tonight, there's no break for Polamalu. Next Sunday he has Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez. The week after that, it's Alge Crumpler in Atlanta. And that's not the end of it. Baltimore's Todd Heap and Cleveland's Kellen Winslow Jr. appear on the schedule twice each.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Troy Palomalu is probably one of my favorite non-Charger players in the league. He has aways played Gates well, I'm very excited to see them matchup tonight, that is, if Marty ever decides to use Gates.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Agreed, the guy is good, and doesnt brag.:tup:

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    That said, every time I see him play I can't help to think that he may have been AJ's biggest mistake, not taking Troy and trading down to get Sammy. Ouch, still hurts. Imagine our D with Troy back there laying the wood? SCARY.

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    :icon_evil: Unleash Philip Rivers please it will be much appreciated.:icon_evil:

I hope that Gates will atleast catch 1 ball in Palomalus coverage and run it in for a TD.

That is all I want from that part but what I want in total of 5 catches for Gates to include 2 TDs.

That is not all that unrealistic.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Indeed. Gawd fuked up!

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    gates would own troy if hes actually thrown at. hes too big/quick/strong for polamalu. i dont imagine theyd let him play too tight of coverage on him anyways im sure gatesey will be seeing different zones in the middle of the field and lb coverage in the flats.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Palomalu actually has played him tough before and he's very good in coverage vs. Gates.

9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    How many times have they faced each other?

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    once I believe.

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Yep.

Palomalu is one of the only safeties that can cover Gates well.

It is going to be a big test for Gates to see what he can do against Palomalu.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    But can he cover MANU!!!?

13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    They have faced each other twice.

The first time in 2003 which was Gates and Palomalus Rookie years. The next was 2005.

14. anjang86

anjang86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure that it is a Polamalu vs Gates matchup as much as its a Steeler's zone coverage vs Gates matchup.

Polamalu is going to blitz this game.

15. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    yeah i still have last years game tivo'd and no i dont think polamalu COVERED gates well. zone schemes and lb/nickel was the most productive for the steelers. or counter productive for us.

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Rivers has to spread the ball around to several charger players. Cause pittsburgh will probably do what the ravens did by putting spys on ladanian and gates each play.

17. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    i agree, use the flankers!!! or ep in the slot, we can confuse and dictate this game very easily if we actually use our weapons. id like to see some stretch plays in our running game as well. im sure this team thinks they need 14 points to beat us lets make them change thier gameplan. on the plus side of last weeks debockle(sure i didnt spell that right) no team should try to mirror what the ravens did as it was more our playcalling than thiers.

18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am just hoping that Gates can just have someone cover him so that either Jackson, Parker, Floyd, McCardell and Manumaleuna can catch some passes so that we can get some of those passes as TD's.