1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The challenge we face at the Patriots, stopping the TE's

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JoeRockhead, Sep 13, 2011.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    The way I see it, the toughest challenge will be for us to stop TE's Gronk, and Hernandez. These guys really can create problems for a defense. Brady looks for Welker and the TE's, whenever he is under pressure. This is the only part of the Pats offense that concerns me. They do have a banged up offensive line, though and we may be able to effectivaly pressure Brady enough to take these guys out it. Whats your thoughts about the TE threat?

2. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    Mostly the same as your thoughts. The key will be getting a lot of pressure forcing Brady to check down and dump it off early. I think we should have Hughes or Gilchrist covering Welker. Not sure if Sanders will be able to cover the TE's well, but I hope I'm wrong. Get to Brady early and it will give us a better chance at stopping them.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Weddle and/or Sanders will have to play big against these guys. Gonzalez is basically a WR.

4. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Brady is gonna put up yards on us. We just need to play mistake-free football, control the clock, and outscore them.

I say we win 42-35

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Our challenge will be to cover the receivers and get pressure on Brady. If we dont rattle him, then it will be a long day.

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    This.
    And the Chargers OL is going to have to stand up to a stout pass rush that's going to be difficult to scheme against.

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Needless worrying, if you ask me......... nothing but a bunch of pansy patsie posers....... #imjustsaying ;)

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :eek:

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Exactly. We always have problems against good TEs. Now we have to worry about two of them. And all those little white sand fleas running around as well will make for an interesting night. Woodhead up the gut might not be a good matchup for us. If they can neutralize Garay they are going to find their yards in the center of the field.

Biggest concern though for me is Norv's predictability on the play calling and ability to adapt to the strange fronts Uncle Billy is dialing up for us.

Ohh and please Norv, no fake reverses. I thought those were gone forever until they made a guest appearance last week.

You can't but be a little nervous going up against that offense but I think our defense will in the end stand up and make some plays and give us a good chance to win a huge game on the road. We will need some turnovers and red zone stops.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    the good news is that mano-a-mano the Patriots really do not have any accomplished pass rushers. Their interior line (Haynesworth & Wilfork) look like a remake of two tons of fun but their ends and OLBs aren't particularly good pass rushers. The problem is that like the Steelers and the Ravens the blitzes come from everywhere and anywhere.

Though if Henne could put up 300+ yds vs Pats, I am salivating to think what Philip Rivers could do

11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Henne put up 400+. There has to be some nice opportunities for Rivers and the Trees.

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Agreed. Rivers can win this game on his arm, but it would be nice to have the defense. After their spectacular performance in the second half of Sunday's game, I trust that they will. They will put pressure on Brady and they will disrupt the Patsie's passing attack. Those will be keys, and I would look intently for them.

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Add the Vikes to that list, though Pagac brings it too often.
    Belli will be a bit more savvy. To the point where Norv will have to go back to past years to guess what scheme the Pats will play.
    I don't see our OL kicking *** in this game, I see Rivers having to make throws quickly. Their OLBs and DEs aren't stars, but they're not exactly chumps either. Clary for one had better pick it up.

Our OL isn't as good as the Fins. But our D is better.
    It'll be an interesting test. The Bolts usually play like dogshit on the east coast though. So I'm not expecting a W here.

14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    1 win and the PPs have taken over your brain?
    egads...
    ;)

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Screw the Pats. Keep Brady on his ***, expose their secondary.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The challenge is on the Pat's. The Bolt's allowed very little passing yardage and held AP under 100 yards so they have quite a bit to think about. Bolt ball with the defensive TUDE and they'll take home the win, they ain't the phins.

17. firebagfan

firebagfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    miami give them fits during the 1st half, giving brady pressure. their defense is garbage, miami put up a lot of yards. what we need is a game changing plays on defense like interception or a fumble recovery. and play better offense (2 int by rivers last game should not occur) and play better special teams.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    You mean Hernandez?.

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes, that's who I meant of course.

The Pats have been overrated every year since 2007. This year is no different. Yes, Brady is a great QB and Belichick is a great coach, but no other part of their team stands out as special. In their last two game (last week and in the 2010 playoffs) the Pats have given up 24 points to the Fins and 28 points to the Jets. They let Matt Sanchez throw for 3TDs and no picks in the playoffs and let Henne put up over 400 yards on Monday night. The Fins also had 10 pass plays of 20+ yards. The Chargers only allowed 36 pass plays of 20+ yards all of last season .

And it's not like the Pats atrocious pass defense on Monday night was some kind of aberration. Last year, the Pats ranked 30th in pass defense, 21st in yards allowed per pass attempt and allowed the 7th most passing TDs in the league.

Against the Pats last year, the Chargers committed three turnovers while playing without Floyd and Jackson and were still a 50 yard field goal away from forcing overtime.

The Chargers have an excellent chance to win this game. The Pats are getting way too much respect, as usual.

20. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I just want the Chargers to win so i can say I told you so to a friend at uni who think his beloved Patriots are going to win 35-10. Cue best patrick stewart impersonation- "Make it So Number 1"

21. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    The starting center for the Patriots broke his ankle on Sunday sounds like a perfect time to put in a blitzing up the middle defense

22. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Speaking of the Pats. Just read a story on NFL.com saying how Tedy Bruschi was bitching and moaning about how Ochocinco was tweeting about how amazing it was to see Brady play the way he did on monday. Basically Bruschi was like "stop being a fan and get into your playbook" and ranted like that I guess for quite awhile. I don't understand what the hell his problem is. One of the funniest comments I read on the article was "I hope Tedy dies in front of his kids" I actually laughed even though it's horrible.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It's the Pat's that need to worry, they've already been crowned. The Bolt's ain't got nothing to lose, show up play loose, win, go home.

• Like Like x 2
  25. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    The Pats D backs are suspect. Thats for sure.

26. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I thought it was the Eagles who are crowned?

27. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I don't feel good about this game.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Is this that reverse-karma stuff? :cool:

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Of course they do. They were not good at all Monday night. But they get a free pass because Belichick is their coach and everyone just assumes the defense will be good even if it isn't.

30. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I wish. I guess I just need them to prove to me they can play like they should week in and week out. Their schizophrenia has me a little gun shy when it comes to tough games.