1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Chargers: For real or frauds?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 29, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-morningrush122908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

By Michael Silver

SAN DIEGO – The finality of his team’s historic collapse was still sinking in, and Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler looked shellshocked as he trudged off the Qualcomm Stadium grass Sunday night and into an offseason of self-flagellation and regret.

The San Diego Chargers had just won the AFC West title in resounding fashion, defeating the Broncos, 52-21, to earn the right to host the Indianapolis Colts in a first-round playoff game six days later, and Cutler stopped to answer an unambiguous question: Was it fair to conclude that the team he just played is for real?

“These guys?” the Pro Bowl quarterback asked, gesturing to the players celebrating behind him. “San Diego? No, I don’t think so. I think Indy’ll handle ‘em pretty good. We really can’t stop anybody, and that’s the bottom line.”

If you are a Chargers coach, player or fan awash in the glory of a drama-tinged escape from elimination and a 4-0 December that featured San Diego’s best football of the season, you’re undoubtedly grimacing into your computer screen. To you, Cutler sounds bitter, jealous and spiteful, and you can’t wait for him to eat his words come Saturday, when the Chargers stun the Colts in the postseason for the second consecutive January.

Your emotions may be justified, but there’s something else you might want to consider: As impressive as San Diego (8-8) was in Sunday’s vanquishing of its divisional rival, it’s quite possible that Cutler speaks the truth.

On a day in which four teams (the Dolphins, Ravens, Vikings and Eagles) joined the Chargers in earning playoff berths, five others with better records than San Diego – including the 11-5 Patriots – fell short of the postseason. (The Broncos and three other 8-8 teams also missed the cut.)

There are reasons for this numerical imbalance that have to do with four-team divisions and tiebreaking procedures and Denver’s utter defensive ineptitude down the stretch, but New England backers don’t want to hear them. And they’re hardly the only ones who suspect the AFC West champions aren’t among the NFL’s 12 best teams.

Call it pro football’s answer to a BCS controversy, minus the smug college presidents and whiny coaches.

It’s not just the Chargers’ unseemly record, which makes them the NFL’s first .500 division winner since the 1985 Cleveland Browns, that sounds alarms. Consider that San Diego went 0-5 against the ‘08 postseason field, losing to the Panthers, Dolphins, Steelers, Colts and Falcons. By contrast the Colts went 5-1, including a 23-0 victory Sunday over the top-seeded Titans in a meaningless game.

Indy defeated San Diego, 23-20, at Qualcomm five weeks ago, and the Colts opened as slight favorites to do it again Saturday. A defeat would leave the Chargers, who finished 3-7 against teams outside their division, with a losing overall record – and unable to rebut the critics who dismiss them as frauds.

“I see what people are saying, but the thing is, we’re not 8-8 anymore,” San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers declared in the locker room. “We’re 0-0 now. Same as everybody else.”

That’s a constructive way of looking at things, and the Chargers, a trendy preseason Super Bowl pick, remain confident that they can crank it up against the NFL’s elite when it counts most. As if to bolster the case, San Diego’s offense was scarily efficient on Sunday, with Rivers (15 of 20, 207 yards, two touchdowns) securing the NFL’s passing title and halfback LaDainian Tomlinson (14 carries, 96 yards, three TDs) looking like a star for the first time in a long time.

Given that both men limped through last year’s playoffs with knee injuries, yet the Chargers still managed to shock the Colts and reach the AFC championship game, the postgame optimism expressed by Rivers and his teammates was understandable.

“We match up well against the Colts,” said wideout Chris Chambers, echoing a popular refrain, “and we know what type of game it’s going to be. It’s nice that we’re going to be at home, so that’s a plus. We’ve got a few things going for us.”

OK, now for the reality check. One thing the Chargers don’t have going for them: a pass rush that seems capable of slowing down Peyton Manning, who during Indy’s regular-season-closing nine-game winning streak has been the league’s best quarterback (and will likely join Brett Favre as the NFL’s sole three-time MVPs this week).

With star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman shelved since the season opener with a serious knee injury and bookend pass rusher Shaun Phillips showing that “The Other Guy” is an appropriate nickname, San Diego hasn’t generated much pressure on opposing quarterbacks when it counts. Though the Chargers intercepted Cutler (33 of 49, 316 yards) twice on Sunday, they failed to sack him. That wasn’t the team’s only defensive issue, either. On a pair of long touchdown runs by the Broncos’ Tatum Bell, safeties Eric Weddle and Paul Oliver were wrong-legged and left grasping for more air than Shaun White on the half-pipe.

Asked about his team’s “complete performance,” San Diego inside linebacker Stephen Cooper shot down the premise, saying, “I don’t think it was a complete performance at all. We didn’t get enough pressure on the quarterback and we got lucky with a lot of drops by their receivers. If we don’t do a lot better next week, Peyton Manning and his receivers will carve us up.”

For the Chargers to avoid that fate, they’ll have to upgrade their performance to a level they have yet to reach in ‘08. Looking back at their season, they played some good teams relatively tough, but what was their signature win?

Was it Sunday’s victory over a Broncos team that gave up 112 points in its last three games (and became the first team since division play began in 1967 to blow a three-game lead with three to play)?

How about the previous Sunday’s 41-24 triumph over Tampa Bay, a victory that was devalued by the Bucs’ 31-24 loss to the Raiders Sunday that cost them a playoff berth?

Perhaps the 48-29 victory over the Jets in Week 3?

Realistically, San Diego’s most impressive result was a 30-10 thrashing of the Patriots on Oct. 12 at Qualcomm. If nothing else, Rivers believes, that outcome should render all the “we got screwed” protestations out of New England moot.

“The fact is we beat them convincingly,” he said. “And it’s a good thing we did, because otherwise they’d really have a right to complain. I mean, 11-5? They should be in. But tonight we proved we were deserving in the West, however it came down.”

History will show that the division title came down to the thinnest of margins. On Dec. 14, San Diego rallied from a 21-3 deficit to the Chiefs in Kansas City to close to within five points with 1:19 remaining. Punter Mike Scifres hit a high onside kick that was headed straight into the hands of Chiefs wideout Dwayne Bowe, a recovery that would’ve ended the Chargers’ season.

The ball hung up for a long time as Bowe prepared to make the grab while San Diego’s Antwan Applewhite closed in looking for a desperation hit.

“That (expletive) was in slow motion,” Scifres recalled. “Bowe had it, but then he bobbled it, and Applewhite hit him, and the ball was loose.”

Then several players hit the Arrowhead Stadium turf, where the Chargers’ ace special teamer, Kassim Osgood, made the recovery that kept hope alive.

“The whole thing took forever,” Osgood recalled. “I got that ball, though. And we won. And here we are.”

As he spoke late Sunday night Osgood was standing in a crowded Pacific Beach club, with music pumping and teammates coalescing and happy Chargers fans giving him love.

Cutler and the Broncos, meanwhile, were crowding into a 757 at San Diego’s Lindbergh Airport after their charter flight was canceled due to a hydraulic leak.

It was that kind of night for the visitors, who’ll forever regard their 8-8 season as a colossal failure.

The Chargers? They’re 0-0 and convinced they’re about to soar.

2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :icon_rofl:

Fuk you Silver. :abq2:

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Phuque ewe Silver, what a POS!!!!!!

4. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    he's not wrong, if the d doesn't play better we're one and done. pass rush is non-existent and against whiny pants peyton that means he'll slice and dice. the back field can only cover so long especially with our suspect safeties.
    but the team recently has always shown up against indy so it'll be a close one IMO.
    i think old man rivers is gonna win it in the last minutes.
    if we get past indy, watch the f out.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    More Cutler Doushery. Belittles his opponent after a biblical *** whippin'... and then throws his entire defense under the bus.

Think there's a reason his players don't go all out for the guy?

Fu.ck it man. I'm done doubting, contemplating, analyzing, and trying to figure out what makes this Chargers team tick.

It's clear they just do what they do and things seem to work out ok in the end.

Norv the Extraordinary Alien has mindfu.cked me to the point of [​IMG][​IMG]

6. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86

ahhaha shut your trap, your a loser never won in college and never won in nfl and your sitting at home while we play next week!

i like to see this from our team, we are not cocky and we know what we need to do

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

:icon_rofl:

8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Silver is desperately trying to make a career of hating the Chargers. Even with a win this huge, he is going out of his way to paint a negative story about them. No wonder the Unions home subscription numbers are going down.

9. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Silver has actually written some pretty cool articles about the Chargers when they have earned it. His column last year after we beat the Colts in the playoffs was really great. I imagine if we beat the Colts this weekend, he'll sing our praises again.

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    :icon_rofl:[/QUOTE]
    I wonder if someone turned a bolt while their charter was parked... :icon_rofl:

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    So out of 100 Articles on the Chargers, one of them is positive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Silver is an *** and Cutler is still a whiny little *****.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Agree 100%. The Chargers poor play all season has earned the suspicion of the entire league. That is justified. I share his concern about our chances this weekend. Our defense was far from stellar against Denver and Indy is an order of magnitude better. It all hinges on the pass rush, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The media, including Silver, Jay Cutler, Deion Sanders, & the rest of the Chargers bashers can KMA & SMD. :icon_twisted:

Compared to a few weeks ago, my expectations have been completely smashed. From here on in I consider wins to be the gravy on top of my chicken-fried steak. :tup:

We control the clock & don't give up big plays, we beat the Colts. I liked Cooper's comments - every week these guys should be looking to get better.

It's a fresh season. I'm keeping my money on the Chargers. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Here's what I don't get -

Cutler just got his *** handed to him by the Chargers, he was smacked around, he had a bad game. He's beaten us once in his career in five tries, and that required ref cheating. Oh and above all else he has acted like a whiny little ***** every single time. AND HIS OPINION IS TAKEN SERIOUSLY AS TO THE PLAYOFF POTENTIAL OF THE CHARGERS?!?!?!

Man
    **** you Silver
    and a GIANT *** **** YOU CUTLER!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Silver is an ***. Everything he said about the chargers was a backhanded slap or blatant pissing on them.

Even Clayton was dissing LT on ESPN. Talking about runinng backs who have had off years, he mentions Addai and blames injuries, Parker and his injury and then LT and says he has just lost a step.

Yeah you fuking meathead, he lost a step due to a turf toe injury he has been playing with all year.

Embrace the HATE!!

Refs are going to be blowing Peyton, so be prepared for some bad calls on Sat.

• Like Like x 3
  17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup::tup::tup:

rep

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Now that we finally have a defensive coach that knows what he's doing . Along with the best offense by far in the nfl. I have to guess alot of opposing teams are kind of freaked out that the chargers are in the playoffs.:yes::bolt:

And , Indy is going down even thought the refs will kiss mannings butt.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    Rep reppity rep rep rep! :icon_toast:

P.S. Anyone know where the refs park at the Q? :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

J/K J/K

20. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Fukem they can all eat crow after we shock the world!!:bolt:

21. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551

Thats not all ANT!!!
    He threw he teamates under the bus implying that its not his fault, and essentially proving that Philip Rivers is the better man.

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Fixed it for you Ray. Oh, and Phuc Silver too. Dude is straight up hater. Cutlet is just bitter. We almost beat Indy with the D playing bad. We're playing much better now on both sides of the ball. I think we pull out the "W" and move on.

23. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Gay Cutler has to make those statements. If he doesn't belittle the Chargers, he has to admit that Philip Rivers OWNS him and his team. No matter how much the media slobbers over his nutsack, he has NEVER had a winning season in the pros, he has NEVER been to the playoffs, and he has NEVER beaten the Chargers legitimately. He is going to the Pro Bowl, but I have a pretty good idea that if the voting were held today instead of weeks ago, he would be sitting at home for that too.

24. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Oh, I'm sure they have already received the memo that the NFL and media's dearest wish is a Peyton-ECry Super Bowl.

25. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Cutler chokes when it counts, it's a good damn thing for him he's not in the Playoffs cause then the whole world would get to see him choking.

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    frack cutler. Its a team game. What won it for the boltz and should get us a super bowl championship is the chargers have so much talent all through the team.

The only one ever holding back the chargers was cottrell and his lame defenses and a team that was over confident when the season started. NOw were clear of that mess.

To be honest. When the chargers have the lombardi trophy. Rivers should get the mvp. By a landslide.

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    And the masked man that rode you down here.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Loved that comment about how they can't stop anyone and how he berates his receivers. Cutler is not a leader and that's more important than a cannon dangling off your shoulder. Sooner or later, the team is going to start showing some real dislike of him and the chemistry in the locker room will start to smell like hydrogen sulfide.

29. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Enough of all the BS. This guy intentional wrote this garbage to stir stuff up. He fails to mention all of the games against all those teams that are in the playoffs that we lost to how close the games were and that we were competitive. We had a lot of bad breaks (and bad play on our part).

Can we improve, yes, however is there that far of margin? NO! This guy is full of it. We are much improved and will prove it. Once again, we are the underdogs....this is what we (all of us live for). I for one think the players will use this as ammunition. It will happen!!!!

WE WILL WIN SATURDAY!!!!

30. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    This team is for real!!! I had my doubts but they are playing really smash mouth football. They may not win with D...but the D will do enough to let "Air Coryell: the rebirth" (The Rebirth for short) Do its job and bring it home.

• Like Like x 1