1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Chargers have ISSUES to address

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/nfl/news/ABN4103148.htm

Chargers Have Issues to Address
    By Andy Benoit, NFL Contributing Editor

[​IMG]

(Sports Network) - Do you remember 2005, when San Diego was coming off a miraculous 12-4 season that had ended with a heartbreaking one-and-done home playoff loss? In that '05 season, the Chargers got off to a mediocre start yet were still perceived as one of the two or three best teams in the NFL. The problem was, their mediocrity never abated and they wound up missing the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

Today, sitting at 1-1, San Diego is a long way from reenacting that scene - heck, there are still 14 games to go - but they are an even longer way from being the elite powerhouse that everyone expected. Going on the road to face their new rival the Patriots, San Diego failed a nationally televised test in spectacular fashion. New England got up 24-0 early before winning, 38-14.

What dried fruit is to the human body, Randy Moss was to the Chargers secondary. He ran right through it. Of Brady's 25 completions, eight were to Moss. Two of those eight resulted in touchdowns. In watching the game, one got the sense that Moss's damage could have been much greater, had New England not had so many other weapons to feed the ball to.

"It's a humbling game," said quarterback Philip Rivers. "We thought we were going to come in here and win and play well and we do just the opposite. This is a good old-fashioned whipping we took."

This quote was seemingly the only correct read that Rivers made all night. The second-year starter had three turnovers, two of which were disastrous interceptions to Patriot linebackers. Through two games thus far, Rivers has looked shaky to say the least. He has completed 67.2 percent of his throws, but he's averaged only 6.05 yards per attempt.

Alarmingly, that is more than four yards per attempt better than all-world running back LaDainian Tomlinson has on the ground. L.T. has just 68 yards on 35 carries through two games, which makes him by far the least productive defending rushing champion in league history through Weeks 1 and 2. It is only two games, and anyone who believes Tomlinson's numbers won't be there in the end is mistaken, but one must still question why the game's most dominant player, and the highest scoring offense from a year ago have been so drastically stifled thus far.

"To hold this offense to zero points at halftime two weeks in a row, it's not the defense; it's the offense," said venerable fullback Lorenzo Neal, who has seen part of his playing time go to second tight end Brandon Manumaleuna this season. "We've got to look at the film and make some corrections. I'm not saying (the Bears and Patriots) aren't good, but there is no way two teams should be able to hold us to zero points in the first half. We have too many weapons and too many big-time players."

Part of the problem for San Diego has been the struggles of the offensive line. Not a single Charger is getting any sort of push in run-blocking, and on passing downs, the pocket has been collapsing from the outside far more than a year ago. Left tackle Marcus McNeill will get things together, but with his counterpart, Shane Olivea, suffering a leg injury against the Patriots, the right side may not be as stable.

MORE ON TOMLINSON

Prior to Sunday's contest in New England, LaDainian Tomlinson said that if the Patriots and Chargers squared off ten times, San Diego would come out on top in nine of them. This wasn't a form of trash talk so much as it was an illustration of utter confidence. But after taking a beating and gaining just 43 yards on 18 rushing attempts, Tomlinson's words shifted from what his team could do to what the other team just did do.

"I think (the Patriots) may be better than they've even been. With the guys they've brought in - Randy, Wes, and Donte', and then on defense you've got Adalius and in a few weeks, they'll have Rodney back - yeah, they may be better than they've ever been."

All week the media replayed clips from L.T.'s memorable press conference last January, in which he called into question the class of Bill Belichick, but that story never developed any further, as both men kept their hatchet buried underground.

"I think the score had a lot do with it," said Belichick of Tomlinson's lack of production. "No one guy can stop him. It has to be a good team defense."

WHO'S HOT

Linebacker Shawne Merriman was seemingly the only Charger defender who didn't disappear Sunday night, registering two sacks and forcing a fumble. This week, he has already made small-time headlines by stating his eagerness to get to Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

"It's going to be a pleasure to hit Favre if I get to him," said Merriman. "That's not out of disrespect, but respect.

"I would love to get a chance to put a nice lick on Favre because I know he is going to get up and laugh about it. Nothing personal about Favre, but I've always wanted to hit Favre since I was a kid. I want to be able to tell my kids I went out there and tried to knock Favre out and I got him." (here we go again :lol: )

WHO'S NOT

It would be easy to point out Philip Rivers in this situation, but his struggles have already been highlighted. The attention here needs to turn to defensive end Luis Castillo, who was nowhere to be found Sunday night.

NEXT UP

The Chargers travel to Lambeau Field to face a surging 2-0 Packers team.

2. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    One issue is we have to start playing smash mouth football and run the ball on 3rd and 1 situations.

Whatever happened to the Lo Neill up the gut play on 3rd and 1 ? :icon_huh:

3. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chargers/2007-09-18-strugglingchargers_N.htm

Explosive Bolts lack voltage under Turner early on

By Tom Pedulla, USA TODAY
    The San Diego Chargers hoped they would not lose a step when they fired Marty Schottenheimer last offseason and replaced him with Norv Turner. But they head to Lambeau Field to face the Green Bay Packers on Sunday as a 1-1 team still searching for its offensive stride.
    As early as it is in the 16-game regular season, it might not be not too soon to be concerned. The Chargers do not resemble the offensive juggernaut that led the league in victories (14-2) and points (492) in 2006.

"I think the key for every team in this league is improving throughout the year," Turner said after the visiting Chargers were humbled by the New England Patriots 38-14 Sunday night. "And certainly we have a lot of improving to do."

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson wants his teammates to bring a sense of urgency to Sunday's game against Brett Favre and the resurgent Packers. "They're 2-0. We're going to find out what we're made of," he said.

Schottenheimer had clashed repeatedly with general manager A.J. Smith. His fate was sealed when his postseason woes continued with a 24-21 loss at home to New England that extended the Chargers' drought without a playoff win to 12 years.

It was thought the transition to Turner would be smooth because he was employed as San Diego's offensive coordinator in 2001. But San Diego has sputtered, albeit against top defenses, in a 14-3 victory at home against the NFC champion Chicago Bears and then in a lopsided defeat at New England.

Turner, who entered this season with a 58-82-1 record as a head coach, is foremost among those scrambling for answers. He entered rebuilding situations when he took over the Washington Redskins in 1994 and then the Oakland Raiders for two seasons in 2004. But this was supposed to be a thriving turnkey operation, so what is wrong?

"I don't really think it is a new system," Turner said. "I think most of the things we are doing are very similar.

"We played two outstanding defenses. We aren't playing with the crispness or the continuity that we will in time. I think some of that is us and some of that is who we are playing."

Tomlinson, who set the single-season mark with 31 touchdowns last season, is disturbed by how poorly the club is starting games.

"This is the second game we haven't scored in the first half. That's obviously disappointing," he said after the Chargers trailed 24-0 at halftime vs. New England. "Whatever it is, we've got to fix it."

After becoming the first player in San Diego history to lead the league in rushing with 1,815 yards, Tomlinson goes to Green Bay with a mere 68 yards. He's averaging 1.9 yards a carry.

Fourth-year quarterback Philip Rivers also is struggling. After reaching the Pro Bowl with a 92.0 passer rating, his rating is 73.7. He was intercepted twice in the decisive first half vs. New England, including one on the Chargers' first play from scrimmage.

The good news for San Diego is that the talent is on hand for the Chargers to become their old explosive selves.

"The adjustment period is happening right now. Once we get it rolling, we'll be OK," Tomlinson said hopefully.

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20822900/

Let it be known: Chargers are not an elite team
    San Diego may be talented, but it hasn’t proven it can win when it counts

[​IMG]
    Stephan Savoia / AP
    Patriots defensive lineman Santonio Thomas and safety James Sanders tackle Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson during New England's win on Sunday.

Updated: 10:35 a.m. PT Sept 17, 2007
    The rules inside the Cold, Hard Football Facts cardboard-box world headquarters are few and far between. But these are two of them:

If Rich Kotite, destroyer of two franchises, has a better career record than your coach, you’re not an elite team. If your franchise hasn’t won a postseason contest since the 1994 AFC title game, you’re not an elite team.

Other than that, it’s pretty much a free for all. Leave up the toilet seat. Run with scissors. Shoot your eye out. Film our signals from the sidelines. We really don’t care.

But those other two rules about Kotite and playoff wins? Those are pretty much rock solid regulations.

All of which brings us around to your 2007 San Diego Chargers.

There was a curious rush to judgment this past off-season to anoint the Chargers one of the best teams in football. Everyone declared them the "most talented" team in football. Everyone declared them a part of the NFL elite.

Everyone but the Cold, Hard Football Facts. Now, we realize the Chargers were a nifty 14-2 last year. But that 14-2 record earned them all of a one-and-done home loss in the playoffs last year, and the continuation of a San Diego tradition that began with a 49-26 loss to San Francisco in Super Bowl XXIX.

Let’s put it this way. The last time San Diego won a playoff game:

the internet and e-mail didn’t exist San Francisco was still a dynasty
    Bill Clinton still hadn't met Monica Lewinsky bombed Europe without U.N. approval John Elway was the reigning QB “who couldn’t win the big game”

That’s a long time ago, folks.

Which brings us around to an irrefutable Cold, Hard Football Fact: San Diego is not among the AFC elite, at least not in the lofty realm inhabited by Indy, New England and Pittsburgh (and, if we're being generous, Denver ... but certainly not San Diego).

We got proof of San Diego’s un-elite status in Sunday night’s 38-14 loss to New England. The Patriots man-handled the Chargers.

The Chargers won a lot of games last year. But they dumped their coach and replaced him with one of the worst in football. The Chargers supposedly have a lot of talent. But the cream of talent tends to rise to the top in January.

For all his dancing, we've yet to see Shawne Merriman win in January. For all his brilliance as one of the great players of our time, we've yet to see LaDainian Tomlinson win in January. And for all his accolades as a great coordinator, we've seen Norv Turner win just once as a head coach in January.

All of which should tell us something: San Diego is not as talented as the "pundits" would lead you to believe.

We’ll have much more on the statements and misstatements of Week 2 later on Monday.

But one of the biggest statements early here in 2007 is this: there are just three elite teams in the NFL.

And not one of them is from San Diego.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.sdcitybeat.com/article.php?id=6223

SORDID TALES
    The bandwagon: Is there room for one more?
    by Edwin Decker

Ah, new football season, how I adore thee. It's a chance to start fresh again. All the muffed punts and missed passes of the previous year have been wiped clean, leaving me with the wide-eyed anticipation of a new and beautiful season--only to have it brutally cleaved out of my chest cavity after the very first game of the season!

That's how opening week was for us New York Giants fans, anyway--the butchering of a dream.

I say this not because I'm a negative person, nor a Chicken Little type. I say it because the Giants actually suck and the sky really is falling. For starters, they allowed the second most wretched team in football--a team whose name I shall not mention but rhymes with Mallas Plowboys--to stomp all over their defense. They lost several key starters to injury and their schedule is brutal this year, all of which can mean only one thing: The New York football Giants are destined to finish under .500 for the season.

Oh, Jesus, ugh.

Is there anything worse than being under .500? Whether it's the NFL or Sunday C-league softball, when your team plays under-.500 ball, it means that you are nothing more than fodder for the over .500 teams. Your sole existence is to be the chum in the water of their feeding frenzy and you really are better off dead than under .500.

Which brings me to the reason for this column.

I was sitting on the toilet reading Sports Illustrated, my buttocks still smarting from last Sunday's flogging by the Phallus Houseboys, when I came across a Chargers' scouting report. The writer was going on and on about how fast, how smart, how strong the Chargers are, and what great role models they make given that all the players volunteer at children's hospitals and are collectively working on a cure for poverty--and all I kept thinking was, Man, wouldn't it be great to have a team like the Chargers to root for? Doesn't it just totally add to your quality of life when your team is on top? Isn't there an extra zip in your step? Indeed, all of San Diego is reverberating with enthusiasm and has become a full-blown howboutem town.

What is that you ask? A howboutem town is a town whose home team is playing so well that everyone walks around saying "How 'bout 'em" to each other.

"How 'bout them Chargers," you say to the cashier at the 7-Eleven when you're buying a Big Gulp.

"Howboutem!" he chirps back.

It's that way all across the city. Even people who normally regard each other with contempt are suddenly chatting it up with Chargers optimism: Liberals and conservatives, tweakers and stoners, the righteous and the godless are suddenly all talking to each other in the streets and stores of San Diego. I wouldn't be surprised if out there somewhere right now a criminal is hogtied in the backseat of a police cruiser having a howboutem conversation with the cop who's driving him to booking:

Criminal: How 'bout them Chargers, officer?

Cop: Howboutem!

Criminal: By the way, it was really impressive how you tackled me out there, almost as good as a Merriman sack.

Cop: Thanks! And you were really fast and elusive, very L.T.-like.
    :lol: :abq2:

Yes, indeed, it is good to be a Chargers fan in San Diego right now. And sitting there on the can, waxing pessimistic about the future of the Giants, I thought, Hey wait a minute now. Why can't I just be a Chargers fan, too?

It was a revelation. I've lived here for more than 20 years and never even thought of becoming a Chargers fan. I've always been a one-team-per-sport kind of guy, viewing anyone who rooted for multiple teams with contempt, especially those so-called fans who boast a dozen or so favorite teams--in the same division--from cities they've never been to. This is an offense against NFL fan bylaws and should be prosecuted to the fullest. But two favorite teams, in different conferences, in my respective hometowns? I should be able to do that.

Oh sure, there will be resistance. My Giants-fan friends back in New York will accuse me of going "California" on them. They'll tell me to lay off the local tap water, and they'll rage against how I could even consider rooting for anyone named L.T. who isn't Lawrence Taylor, the Giants' former crackhead linebacker of death.

And many diehard Chargers fans will certainly accuse me of being a bandwagoner. Not that I blame them. I am coming aboard at a convenient time. But I don't consider myself a true bandwagoner. A true bandwagon fan not only jumps on the bandwagon when a team is doing well, but then jumps off when they plummet, which is something I would never, could never, do (and why I will never abandon my beloved Giants).

Of course, Bolts fans have no reason to believe this. I haven't earned any fan equity yet. From where you're sitting, it just looks like I'm trying to--excuse the pun--steal your thunder. Fair enough. All I ask is that you reserve judgment until after you see how I comport myself as a fan and whether or not I keep my promises.

For instance, as a newly christened Chargers fan, I promise to defend my team's honor against all ****-talkers foreign and domestic.

I promise to buy no less than two items of Chargers schwag (probably a baseball cap and a Charger Girls calendar--you know, to show support).

I promise to loathe, to the very core of my being, the football team whose name shall not be mentioned but sounds like the Loakland Faiders.

I promise to try--really try--to love the Chargers fight song, even though it's quite femme and more likely to inspire the Charger Girls than the warriors on the grid.

Finally, I promise to never jump off the Chargers bandwagon, no matter how crappy they become, or weak, or slow, or indifferent toward the sick kids.

So, there you have it--my credo as a new fan. I hope you find it acceptable. And I hope you dieharders won't take offense when I say out loud and in public for everyone to hear, "How 'bout them Chargers, people! Howboutem!"

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The biggest problem with the Bolt's is their fans. They run and hide and the first sign of weakness, sure am glad I don't have to depend on any of them being in my foxhole. I might have to waste a bullet.:bolt:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :lol: :yes: :lol:

You and I had epic battles in the Brees v. Rivers wars, but neither of us ever stopped supporting our Bolts!

9. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :yawn:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thanks l!

12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

Conc, I'll go to my grave believing in my Bolts. You and I have an understanding as far as our opinions go and that's a good thing in my book.:bolt:

13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

:kisskiss:

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You back the bolts to you smiley posting git!

15. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :icon_wtf:

16. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Wow !! :tup:

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

The only person I don't care for is L7, dude tried to get me banned from the UT. He's a slit and I wouldn't let him suck my dik with your mouth.:bolt: :lol: :icon_rofl:

18. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Simmer down you North Carolakey hick. Don't bite off more than you can chew. :icon_twisted:

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

:icon_rofl: I may live in NC but I'm from Dego. Besides I choke on string.:bolt: :lol: :icon_rofl:

20. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Then you are going down at the wrong time. :icon_eek:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not touching that one.... SCD would ban me...

22. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Just to the ACF :yes:

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

If the tampon fits wear it son. Grow up and get your red wings by swimming across that river, I'm sure L7 will let you. :bolt: :icon_tease: :icon_rofl:

24. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Why you pimpin L7 like he was your ho? :tdown:

25. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I have no idea who the phuc he is. :lol:

26. HEXEDBOLT