1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Chargers rank second in NFL in takeaways

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Mention the impact of turnovers on a football game and most fans naturally picture in their minds the defense intercepting a pass or forcing a fumble.

But not Norv Turner, the Chargers' head coach. Turner explained how winning the turnover ratio statistical category starts with the offense protecting the ball.

It's his chicken-and-egg theory, and he pointed to a plus-10 turnover margin during the Chargers' current three-game winning streak as examples that make his case. In all three games, the Bolts finished with zero giveaways while totaling ten takeaways.

The Chargers were a plus-5 in Sunday's 35-10 win over the Houston Texans, a plus-2 in the 28-14 win over the Oakland Raiders and a plus-3 in the win 41-3 win over the Denver Broncos.

"If you don't turn the ball over, the worst you can be is a zero," Turner said. "If you're not turning the ball over, it's probably because you're making plays and scoring points. And if you're doing those things - and we're a talented defensive football team - then that means you're putting teams in a position they have to make things happen and they start turning the ball over."

In all three games, turnovers aided the Chargers in taking 14-0 first-quarter lead and subsequently protecting the lead the remainder of the game.

"The last three weeks we've taken care of the ball," Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. "Our turnover differential is a plus-10 (in those games). If you go back to the (New England) Patriots game, we turned the ball over and got behind. Against Kansas City, we turned the ball over and they came back to beat us. The common theme is turnovers."

Against Denver, the Chargers converted a fumble on a kickoff return into a touchdown, a fumble into a field goal and an interception into a touchdown.

Against Oakland, the Bolts converted an interception into a touchdown, although the other two turnovers resulted in the time expiring in the first half and a punt.

Against Houston, the Chargers took a 35-3 halftime lead with three turnovers created by cornerback Antonio Cromartie resulting in 21 points.

Cromartie recovered a fumble on a high snap in the end zone for a 14-0 lead, intercepted a pass he returned 70 yards for a touchdown and a 21-3 lead and intercepted a pass he returned 21 yards that led to Chris Chambers' 14-yard touchdown catch for a 35-3 lead.

The Chargers are second in the NFL in takeaways with 19 and third turnover ratio with plus-8 on the season.
    Only the Detroit Lions with 20 takeaways have more than the Chargers, and their takeaways have contributed greatly to turning around their franchise from a 3-13 record last year to 5-2 mark this season.

"Our defense has been outstanding, and they're creating turnovers," quarterback Philip Rivers said. "But that's a team deal, turnover margin. We didn't turn the ball over and they got it a whole bunch."

But before the Chargers started their three-game winning streak, they finished a three-game losing skid at minus-2 with eight giveaways.

The Bolts were a minus-1 with three giveaways in the 38-14 loss at New England, they were a minus-1 with one giveaway in a 31-24 loss at Green Bay and they were minus-2 with four giveaways in a 30-16 loss at home to the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Kansas City giveaways led to the Chiefs outscoring the Chargers 24-0 in the second half. Tomlinson agrees with Turner's turnover assessment that winning games starts with protecting the ball.

"When we play Indianapolis or we play New England again, and we don't turn the ball over and it's an equal game (in turnovers), then I like our chances."

Chargers.com

• Like Like x 1
  2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    This is huge...I like the fact in the last three games that PR really hasn't had to win the game for us...That is not his role at this time and place. Our scheme tends to put him into good situations. The D scoring 14 helps as well.

I think he still needs to matrue, and calm down before he becomes "that" QB, that can put the team on his shoulders and win one with a 01:15 left in the game. That all comes w/expierence.

PR taking that sack last week was huge and showed signs of him growing up...

3. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    The turnover ratio is a big break.

sign on San Diego makes another look:

Tough road ahead!

WINS
    Chicago (3-5)
    Denver (3-4)
    Oakland (2-5)
    Houston (3-5)

LOSSES
    New England (8-0)
    Green Bay (6-1)
    Kansas City (4-3)

WHAT'S AHEAD ?
    at Minnesota (2-5)
    Indianapolis (7-0)
    at Jaxonville (5-2)
    Baltimore (4-3)
    at Kansas City (4-3)
    at Tennesse (5-2)
    Detroit (5-2)

4. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I'll do the math...Our upcoming opponents are 32-17 this season...****, that's freakin crazy

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    You forgot Denver and Oakland. A combined 5-8. Total 37-25. Still pretty tough.

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I like the sound of this. The turnovers relate to the new found focus I perceive on actually tackling people instead of trying to deliver an intimidating hit every chance they get by simply launching themselves. The plays they give up are getting shorter(no stats handy to back that up, just an impression), so the other guys are, in fact, coming up against probabilities because of the chances they have to take. I haven't charted the field position from where we are beginning our drives after punts in the last three games, but I bet that stat has improved as well. The coaching is improving. The confidence level was palpably higher Sunday and that will come in handly against Indy.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    WIn the turnover battle, win the game. I'm a firm believer in that.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Would anyone have believed that the only team in front of us on the takeaway chart is DETROIT?:icon_eek:

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Unless you have a horrible offense.

I remember a Steelers/Seahawks game back in the early 90's where the hawks intercepted Neil O'Donnell five times and still lost!!! :eek:

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    :no:never.