1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Chargers WILL Draft Ben Tate...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargerfn909, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    For those of you that read my post (or simply look at my avatar) you know I am a huge Ben Tate fan. I think he's the perfect fit for the right price.

Anyway, about a week and a half ago he was on XX1090 and mentioned that he was going to visit the Chargers (I THINK he kinda slipped up by saying that). I decided to tweet him to ask which day he would be out here and he responded a day later saying April 5th.

I am not sure if you guys have access to any better sources than I do, but I have not read ANYWHERE that Tate did visit the Chargers. Does this mean it didn't happen? Nope, it just means AJ is keeping it on the hush hush because as we all know, that's what he likes to do. The fact that every "big named" RB that has visited the Bolts has been documented, and Tate hasn't been is a very good sign IMO.

Beyond the fact that his visit was under the radar to the point most of you would have never known he visited (like most of our picks, if they visit at all), Ben tweeted this last night:

BenTateRB

Had awesome visit with the team I was with.. been getting lots of good news lately.. only 2 more weeks til draft!!! http://bit.ly/bEvEYt

I cannot CONFIRM he was referring to the Chargers, however putting 2and2 together (with his tweet last week saying he would be here April 5th), it only makes sense.

Ben also tweeted this today :)abq2:):

Ben Tate BenTateRB

Btw just found out that my official 40 time at the combine according to the master list was a 4.34.. yall didnt know I was that fast did you?... http://bit.ly/aZJ2VL

For those of you who are not sold on Tate, just wait and see. This kid is going to be the surprise (RB) of the draft!

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I call bullshit on that "official" time. As fast as Spiller & Best? I don't think so. :no:

3. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    It's hard to say, one thing I know is the kid isn't just making it up. A good character kid trying to push his stock up isn't going to post some tweet with false information. Twitter is the fastest way to get your *** in trouble! :lol:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not saying that Tate is BS'ing. The discrepancies with some of the 40 times in the Combine have me discounting them severely. Mays is a prime example.

If Tate ran a 4.34, Spiller & Best were sub-4.3's.

I'll be fine with Tate as a Charger - in the 3rd round. :icon_tease:

5. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Ain't gonna happen brudda! Either 40 or we trade up for him b4 the Pats snag him with 1 of their 3 2nd round picks. Pen it :yes:

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Tate looks like a solid RB, and some signs might point at AJ possibly picking him, but I tell you there is absolutely NO guarantee on ANYTHING in the draft, especially with AJ Smith. As much as like Ryan Mathews heck he might not even BE there AND AJ might not even pick him if he is! AJ will get the guy HE wants, regardless of whether we want him or if the player has a desire to be a Charger. It just doesn't matter.

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The plot thickens. :popcorn:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If we take him I can guarantee we will probably take another running back somewhere in the draft as well, it won't just be Tate. I could see Gerhart and Tate picked up, one all around good back and one sledgehammer to team with Sproles

9. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I think Tolbert will be our sledehammer. We do not run the ball enough to go for 2 RB's. I'd draft Tate then get a couple UDFA's like Stafon Johnson and maybe Lonyae Miller.

Tate is a 3 down back, plus Sproles to throw in a twist and Tolbert for short down yardage (or he can pair up with Tate in a 2 man backfield).

10. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    You'd have to trade up in the 3rd to get Gerhart.. Not a chance he's there at 91. If we trade up we would be MUCH better off grabbing a defensive player. JMO

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Lonyae Miller will not go undrafted. Johnson? Maybe.

12. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    If that's the case then thanks for screwing up AJ's plan.

13. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I want golden tate to be a charger

14. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I can't help but wish we had this dude back...

[​IMG]

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Why? I believe Tolbert can bring just as much if not more to the running game. Apparently the coaches do as well since they kept him & let Gartrell go.

16. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    WHY?????????????????????

Dude was garbage and will be out of the NFL within 2 years

Im sorry, but RBs who are under 225 and run 4.8s will NEVER make it in the NFL

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I don't know, there was something about the way he ran. Focused, aggressive, relentless. He was the anti-LT.

Plus if he had a full year in the system I'd bet he would easily be as good as guys we would find in the late third and beyond.

18. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Like i said, he ran a 4.8 and didnt have the power to be a bulldoser in the NFL the way he did in the mountain west

This year there are plenty of guys that run the same way he did, but are bigger, faster and did it in against better competition. Jonathan Dwyer, Anthony Dixon, toby gerhart, charles scott and Lagarrette Blount (why does he have to be such a ****ing moron???) all are MUCH better than that scrub

19. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Eric Bienemy?

20. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Emmitt Smith was 216 pounds and ran a 4.7. :whistling:

21. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    His official time (per NFL.com) was 4.43. He did have an amazing workout, and AJ has been prone to being a sucker for workout warriors. EX: Cromartie, VJack, Weddle, Castillo, Merriman, Martin etc...

I'm not saying I think he's a bad football player...like Dwyer...but I definitly think he's overrated. He's kind of a one year wonder, and he sure as hell doesn't run low 4.4s on tape.

22. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    "Sucker for workout warriors"........consider that those players you listed were some of AJ's better picks....albeit the jury will be out for a bit on Martin still....Even Cro showed flashes of brilliance before teams figured out he was mostly sizzle without the steak and tackled like a girl.

I like those pics a lot better than some of the less sexy unimpressive measurables combine guys we've picked like Buster Davis, Sammy Davis, Terrence Kiel Jacob Hestor, Gartell Johnson, Marcus Thomas, Matt Wilhelm, Brandon Hughes, DeJuan Tribble.

I'd rather take a flyer on the guys who are less polished but very athletic in the later rounds in particular. V-Jax is a perfect example of how one of those can pay off big time.

Regarding Tate, he looks pretty fast on tape to me...Not sure what you've been looking at. SEC defensive players are also pretty damn fast, so by comparison, a guy like Mathews is going to look super fast against WAC competition.

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I didn't mean to make it sound like they were bad picks, I meant to show how he has a tendency to go after the workout warriors in recent years.:yes:

Its not just about 40 times its also about instinct for the position. Tate could end up being an excellent player, but I'm extremely suspicious of player jumping from 4th round prospect to early 2nd based on a workout.

24. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I would be fine with Tate at 40. Plus I don't think anybody wears 44.. hey if he wears 44, our RBs would wear 43 and 44...lol

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is where is suspect Sproles figures into a possible trade. For a crack at another quality back in the 2nd round, I'd consider packaging next years 3rd we got from Seattle with Sproles To get a shot at a second back we would control for four or five more seasons in the first half of the second round.

26. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Im actually really happy right now that the redskins made that trade for mcnabb, because they need a RB pretty bad, and Tate is a pretty good fit for Shannys system since hes a good one cut runner with very good power. Not to mention he is also from that area. To me, it says alot that they signed a RB right before the trade, that tells me that they might of been planning on taking a RB with that 2nd before the trade

Now this only matters if we dont take mathews in the 1st, but even still it gives us more options incase hell freeses over and Cody is there for us at 28

27. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Why would the Redskins need another RB when they already have Portis, Johnson and Parker?

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    If thats not the most washed up backfield in the NFL...:lol: Typical Shanarat.

29. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    If they hadnt signed parker, they would need one. Portis is done, and LJ fell off years ago. Hell, even with the 3 of them, i still think they take a RB in the 3rd or 4th round and then cut portis.

those 3 are almost as bad as our RB core, but since they dont have a 2nd round pick, im not worried about them taking one of our guys before our #40 pick

30. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Why cut portis. They owe him 6 million even if they cut or trade him.