1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Charger's Wrecking Ball?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by scratchnz, Oct 18, 2010.

1. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Norv Turner is the Chargers’ wrecking ball
    Professional Sports - Pro Football
    BY Steve Hunyar
    Monday, 18 October 2010 12:39

As a political commentator, I rarely write about sports. However, as someone who has lived in San Diego for 30 years and has never become a Charger faithful, I feel I can be objective about the team’s ills. Yes – I am couching this because I know what a personal issue this is for so many San Diegans.

For the last 6 years, the Chargers have had one of the best teams in the NFL – on paper. Yet, they simply cannot finish. They’re last out of the gate, gallop into the lead, and fade in the final furlong. They lose to bottom rung teams. Why?

The Norv Turner coaching philosophy. Turner may be considered a tactical genius to many, but his style lacks several fundamental philosophies which are critical to success. The Turner Era must end if the Chargers want to participate in another Super Bowl rather than watch from their living rooms. Let me know if my rationale resonates with you.

Lack of Discipline On the Field

Turner’s teams are undisciplined. They have critical penalties at critical moments. They have too many foolish penalties such as Unsportsmanlike Conduct and Illegal Motion. These are penalties of discipline, something that is a rarity with great teams. In years past, they have been able to overcome many of the mistakes with the talent they fielded, however at the end of the day, undisciplined teams do not win championships.

Lack of Discipline Off the Field - Distractions

Professional sports teams and individual players are greatly affected by distractions. Each year, the Chargers are plagued by distractions. This year, it’s the Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill debacles. In past years, players have been jailed and shot. Steve Foley was shot by an off-duty police officer in 2006. Rookie Running Back Curtis Brinkley was shot in July, 2009. The list of the off-field antics by Charger players has been great fodder for the media during the Turner era.

UCLA’s Basketball Coach John Wooden was one of the greatest coaches of all time. In 27 years as the UCLA Bruin’s head coach, he won 10 national championships and 19 conference championships.. His winning percentage was .813, unequalled for any coach over that period of time. His teams hold the all-time NCAA consecutive winning-streak record of 88 games over four seasons. His proudest personal achievement was their four undefeated seasons of 30-0.
    Many argue that he drafted the talent to win those championships and therefore had an easy job. Hello! San Diego Chargers!

Coach Wooden’s success was built upon building the character of his teams by demanding character from his individual players. Dedication through discipline, high expectations, high standards, and high moral fiber – a winning formula for victory at all levels of coaching.

Turner demands little or nothing of his players, on or off season. He willfully ignores the fact that behavior outside of the stadium determines behavior between the hash marks.

Professional players are paid millions to play a kid’s game and entertain the public. Winning comes from dedicating 100 percent – 365 days a year. Turner needs to instill this precept into his players, or he will never succeed.

Unpreparededness

Each year, the Chargers start the season unprepared. In addition to the excessive number of penalties, they miss routes and blocks in the early part of the season because they have not done their homework and/or practiced sufficiently. They are simply not adequately prepared to play.

This is borne out every season. Their current 2-4 record and slow starts each year are persistent reminders of the mediocrity of their season prep. Philip Rivers brushed it off last week stating that they were in the same position (2-3) in 2009 – after which they won 11 straight. Too late – the Rams made sure there will be no 13-3 season. Moreover, if you call going 13-3 and losing in the Divisional Playoffs to the New York Jets a success, than go ahead and drink the Chargers’ Kool-Aid.

Injuries

By the end of every season, the Chargers have key injuries to key players. Again, due to a lack of preparation in the preseason, and a lack of discipline on/off the field.

The Chargers have been around the same number of years as their nemesis – the Raiders. In that time, the Raiders are 3-2 in Super Bowls, while the Chargers are a meager 0-1.

Yes, the ‘O’-Line is not protecting Philip Rivers. They are not giving him the time he needs to work his magic. But the problems with the Chargers go much deeper than a few positions.

The time has come to place the blame where it belongs – the head coach. Turner has been unable to win due to his inability to demand the best from his players.

The San Diego Chargers’ fans need to demand better from the ownership. The Spanos family needs to demand more of their head coach, who should demand more from their players, if they are ultimately going to enjoy another Super Bowl appearance.

Until then, the seat on the Chargers' bandwagon will continue to become worn down with people jumping on and off.

Yes, my analysis is unscientific. I have never been a Chargers fan and I have no ‘skin’ in this local team. I simply believe that if the ownership wants the fans to build a new stadium for them, they deserve better.

Otherwise, it’s time hold onto your wallets, go sailing, hit the slopes, or do one of thousand other things our weather affords us. San Diego deserves better, and I am tired of pitying the fans and telling my Chargers loving friends that I feel sorry for them.

The house that Spanos built is being torn down by the Turner Wrecking Ball. It’s time to put a halt to the demolition before the foundation is destroyed.

2. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    oh great, a political pundit now taking his clueless long-winded shot at the Chargers. Can this get any worse?

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Long winded but spot on imo....

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    you're kidding right? That dood nailed it. And everyone in this forum and others have pointed out every single point this guy makes.

Fire Norv

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We could really use Steve Foley right now. :(

6. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    ... and we all shouted A-men!

7. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Our linebacker corp has not been as good as when Foley and Godfrey were here. Pretty good article. Its what a lot of us are feeling right now.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    this

9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    My Dream Coaching Scenario (I would like to state that this could never happen...just would be a perfect mix in a dream scenario)

Head Coach: Marty Schottenheimer
    Offensive Coordinator: Norv Turner
    Defensive Coordinator: Wade Phillips
    Special Teams Coach: A Blind, Retarded Monkey

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I lost respect for the writer after reading this.

But I continued reading, and I have to agree, somewhat. Again, another person who deals in absolutes finds "fire Norv now" is the only option available. Blame players too, because a lot of these guys have been failing miserable. So I ask what really needs to be done to address ALL of these things, because top-down change isn't going to much.

11. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Most of the players where around after a 14-2 season and big run in 2007!! So no doubt that they are good enough and experienced enough. Good players like that don't just get bad by themselves and not them all together!!

The blame is split Coaching 70%, Players 30% IMO

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Scratch, do you have any f'in clue why Brinkley was shot? Any?

Because the manner you are using it is WAY THE **** OFF!

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Marty will never come back, do you know when the last time he had a team win in the first round of the playoffs?

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I didn't write the article Conc!!!

15. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    The players are at fault too. So changes in the management team will result in player changes. This must be done top down. The problem is systemic and changing a few players will not get the results desired.

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Obviously you didn't read his post saying "This could never happen". So then why comment on what he acknowledged? Besides it was his dream scenario.

17. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    "The Chargers have been around the same number of years as their nemesis – the Raiders. In that time, the Raiders are 3-2 in Super Bowls, while the Chargers are a meager 0-1."

This is the wrecking ball effect???

I stand by my original assessment.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Then I will just kick you in your left nad and not both...

:lol:
    :D

19. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    The "faithful" will not understand until we are all but toast. Even then they will make excuses and back the brand.

It would take Spanos to fire AJ and Norv, tell everyone they were right about them, provide pie graphs and power point presentations as to why and the "faithful" would still make up excuses.

This isnt about winning. It's about protecting a brand image and turning a profit.

20. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I agree. The Chargers don't exist to win championships, games, make the fans happy or anything of the sort. They are a part of the NFL and their only mission is to provide a piece of entertainment which they turn for a profit. Everything else is generated by fans who project their own personal reasons and objectives on them. Hey, it's just my opinion.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Foley was the last wave of descent FA's AJ signed. Since then, we have gotten crap. If we had a few more Foley's, Godfrey's, and Goff's (All free agent signings in 2004), this team may have the on field leadership to makeup for Norv's lack of leadership

22. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    This is 100% the reason behind my fire. Somewhere along the lines this team stopped caring about Championships and only cared about profits. IMO it has to do with the Stadium issue. Thats about when all this started to transform piece by piece.

Well said!

23. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    If we think about it, how many owners are really out there to win a championship? I imagine it’d be Kraft, Jones, Snyder (even if he’s doing it badly) Rooney? Most owners seem content to sit around and collect their TV partnerships that some of the big guys have to carry for the entire league. Spanos seems to have the attitude that if he’s not getting a big new stadium, then he’s not really interested in putting forth the best possible product on the field. And really, maybe he shouldn’t care about it either. If the city isn’t doing him any favors, how much is he expected to give back? I hate to think like this, it’s not really natural. But the more I think about it, I realize most teams win in spite of their owner because of their own pride. If a team has neither the ownership committed to winning or the pride incumbent on the players and coaches to do it themselves, then what else to expect?

24. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    You sir are one of the few I respect on this board. You seam to get it. You seam to understand the inner workings behind these businesses. I applaud your insight! Sounded like I was reading something I wrote.

As bitter as I am about the direction Spanos has decided to go, I completely understand given the stadium issue. He was ready to send the Chargers into the new NFL standards and the city squatted on him. New Uni's, New direction, then take a hike from the city. I guess I understand it, but as a fan of the team I'm still bitter about it.

IMO EVERYTHING wrong with this team was just summed up in 3 posts. More people should be reading into this and less into the individual dramatics going on.

25. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    You guys are hitting the proverbial bail on the head

Great Comments!

26. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Right! You and me, Conc...Outside!!

Big Foam fingers at 20 paces!

;)

27. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Here is an interesting excerpt from an article by Michaerl Lombardi (NFL.COM) which was refering to Wade Phillips, but it could also apply to coaches like Norv Turner...

"...Off the track for a moment, but what kills me about NFL owners is that they hire and promote assistant coaches based on their offensive or defensive expertise, assuming they can become true leaders. In reality, a coordinator is a manager, not a leader; therefore to assume he can handle the leadership role is not prudent, which is why there is such a high failure rate among head coaches on every level. Coaching is leadership first and foremost. This topic deserves a column on its own sometime in the near future. Now back to the Cowboys ..."