1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Coaches on the list I would love to see running the Bolts next season?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    1) Mike Singletary.
    Yes, he is new, his coaching career only covers six years, but man his preparation and tenacity as a player is indeed making me wonder what he could do for our players.
    His Coaching career started in 2003, when he became linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens (pairing Singletary with Ray Lewis). There he helped the Baltimore Defense improve to be the third ranked defense in the entire NFL. I thin he could bring a spark to the team, and given the right coordinators the Bolts wouldn’t miss a beat IMO.

2) Rex Ryan
    The only Coach on the Chargers short list who has been running the 3-4. His D was the number 1 unit in the league last season, and a big part of the Ravens success. I think he would be a great addition, who would keep the Bolts D churning and burning, helping them to improve in 07.

Our coach will be a defensive minded coach, these two in my opinion would be a great fit. Onward and upward Bolts Fans!:tup:

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Both are great. I think the players could rally around a guy like Singletary more but anyway, I completely trust AJ and at least we know there are some amazing candidates out there :tup:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    No objections from me.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i think singletary is too inexperienced

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So was every Superbowl winning coach at one time.

he has been around football a looooong time.

6. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I would prefer Ryan to Singletary. He's more experienced, and the man knows how to run a defense.

I don't think Singletary is ready to be a HC just yet. DC, maybe, but not HC.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    maybe but people normally are coordinators before becoming head coaches and usually htey spend a couple of years down there before becoming coaches. Singletary hasn't for that long, that's my only concern.

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Ryan or Rivera. I'd rather have a defensive minded coach. :bolt:

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Same for me. Although for me I'd much rather have Ryan but I'd be happy with either.

I also want a defensive minded coach.

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Singletary was one of my favorite non-Chargers players during his days with the Bears.

Smart. A student of the game. No wasted motions in his play. He and Walter Payton provided stability to a team of very talented class clowns.

A Super Bowl winner. A Hall of Famer. Drafted by George "Papa Bear" Halas. Played for HoFer Ditka. Played for one of the great defensive minds in the last 50 years, Buddy Ryan.

Singletary has spent time as a Motivational speaker. He has the talents to guide a team. He is a man that the players will instantly respect. Not because of his skin color, but because of the qualities he possesses as a man.

He only lacks experience at the controls.

If SD wants to go the "CEO" type coach route, then he's the man for the job. If SD wants a proven play caller for either side of the ball, then it's not him.

If SD wants someone that has proven to be a winning head coach that has shown to make quality decisions during regular season and post season games, then NO ONE on the current interview list (or speculative lists) to include Norv Turner or Pete Carroll meet that criteria.

The three top candidates so far mentioned are Singletary, Ryan and Rivera. I think each can be the guy, but the most solid overall background, regardless of the non-coordinator aspect of his history, is probably Mike Singletary.

It will come down to the interviews .......

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Agree...as both a HC and a 3-4 DC

12. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

Well besides Switzer who inherited a SB team...name us some rookie HC's that won a SB.

Playing footbal and being a good HC are different. Not knocking Singletary..i think one day he will be a good HC but i dont want to wait for "one day".

Even a college HC has experience being a HC.

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    It's funny...most of us are worried about Mike Singletary because of his inexperience.

Raider fans are creaming themselves after settling for a head coach with no NFL experience at all and who has never even been a coordinator by himself in college.

I just thought the contrast was funny.

If we hire Singletary I will be fine as long as we put him with a great staff. To me, the HC is charged with setting a tone, creating a work-ethic, and making sure the team does what's needed to be prepared come gameday. During the game he needs to be able to keep guys motivated when things are going badly and manage the clock and key game situations. He needs to be able to manage his coaches and if he doesn't like what he's seeing on the field he needs to know what should be done to fix it.

But he doesn't have to be an X's and O's genius. He has to understand the game--yes. But he doesn't have to be a play-caller. In some ways I think it might be better if he's not. Sometimes the guys who were coordinators are so hell-bent on converting their new team to their particular scheme they forget about the idea of using players to their strengths, and that's when you see coaching trying to shoe-horn players into roles or positions they're not particularly well-suited for. An example would be a coach who is so bent on running the 4-3 that he converts Merriman to a DE, or a coach who loves the passing game so much he forgets to properly utilize LT.

14. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Another example of the pure coordinator mentality is Cam "convincing" Marty to try a 4th and 11 play. Or Cam getting away from what is working with LT pounding on Power-Ohs, and trying an end around. Or Cam thinking his pregame film sessions showed he could run on Baltimore, and sticking with that bad assumption for an entire second half.

Isn't having a guy who understands the flow of the game, and how the players react (positively and negatively) a good thing?

Game management, clock management, etc are the only questions I have on Singletary. Those will never be answered until he gets a head coaching position.

15. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

Thats because they have no clue. They are happy to get Moss...who they know isnt a team guy.
    They are happy to get Aaron Brooks who regressed every year at New Orleans.

They were happy to get Shell back who hadnt coached in some ten years who hired a OC who was a bed and breakfast manager.

They would be happy to get a new QB every year and are happy to get another HC this year who as you said..has no experience at all ...even as a co-ordinator and they are happy about this because they suck so bad hat they have nothing else to look forward to.

They are also happy to point out that they won three superbowl back when some of them werent even born because they have no other recourse because , again...they suck so bad and we OWN THEM NOW!!!

I bet they would be happy if Al Davis himself said he was going to be the HC even though he is nearly senile.

We arent settling and wont be happy to see a HC get the job who doesnt have experience because we are on the verge of being a SB team, and in fact...we are there and just need a few more tweaks.

I think Singletary is a great guy, a good teacher and would be a good motivator but i worry that his inexperience would show and if he hires a DC.....will he get the right guy for our 3-4?
    I hope they hire Pagano if he gets the job because he knows the system and had a big hand in it with Wade.

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Yup. That's why I said I would be okay with Singletary as long as he has a good staff. I don't think Mike can come to a team and be Bill Belichik or Mike Shanahan. He can't take over the reins of the offense or defense. So he'll need top coordinators and top assistants.

Is Shelmon a top coordinator? No idea. Will Pagano be a top coordinator? No idea. There's too many unknowns at this point for me to form an honest opinion, so all I can really do is trust AJ to make the right hire. That does make me a wee bit nervous because there's a difference between being able to identify a great football player and being able to identify a great coach.

I only hope that AJ's emotional detachment from the players doesn't create a situation where he really doesn't innately understand what kind of coach they need. To me, this will be AJ's last test. If he nails this one, he's the top GM in football. But it's not a slam-dunk.

17. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The guy I really want isn't available (Mike Nolan) so I really like Ryan but I'm little hesistant about Singletary (for all the reasons already mentioned). I'm trusting AJ on this one. :bolt2:

18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    So, is it just me or has it been awfully quiet on the Mike Singletary front today? Shouldn't we have heard some comment from the Chargers by now, at least saying, "we interviewed Singletary, he's possibly the coolest guy since Jesus, we'll be interviewing Rex Ryan tomorrow?"

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    On the drive home from work they talked about it on KNBR1050 here, but that is all they really said as well.

"Interviewed Singletary today and will interview Ryan next."

20. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont think we will hear the Chargers say much at all until they hire one of the candidates.

I know i dont want Carroll or Turner.

I think the two guys for me would be Ryan and Singletary but i am a little apprehensive with him but think he will be a very good HC in the NFL.
    I know Sean Payton took the Saints to the playoffs in his first year so it can happen so i hope we get good co-ordinaters if they hire Singletary.
    Id feel better with Ryan since he has been around in coaching longer.

The players really like Pagano so i hope he is considered heavely for the DC.

21. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Did Marty run a 3-4 in KC? Has anyone heard what KC fans are saying about the firing?

22. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Just "food" for thought .......

Have y'all seen Rex Ryan? He's fatter than his Dad ..... about one burrito short of a coronary.

23. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    As long as he can send out the FG team on 4th & 11 when in range.....have all the burrito's he wants.

24. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

I read some of ChiefsPlanet the other day, and it was split on how they felt. Many couldn't believe we kept Marty this long, and some thought SD was nuts to can him, especially the timing.

SquaWorld thread .... and another thread.

KC and the 3-4 - notes from Wade Phillps being hired as Chargers DC

(BTW: Hank Stram is given credit by many as the originator of the NFL 3-4)

25. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171

Thanks. I just read some of Chiefs Planet and as usual I have no idea WTF they are talking about.

I figured as much with Thomas but I wasn't sure.

Edit: The Lounge on Cheifs Planet has some weird chiat going on. The Marty Replacement thread does have some funny responses.

26. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
  27. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
  28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_eek:

Run for the hills boys, its the final sign of Armegedon!

:lol: