1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The College players i like

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Dec 13, 2010.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +116
    here are some of the college players i think we need. have a look

WR:Leonard Hankerson- hes not the fastest guy in the world with a 4.52 forty but he has good hands and will make a excellent slot receiver along naanee. hes 6ft3 hes not the 6ft5 jackson but hes close enough.

Jerrel Jernigan- to me hes this years dexter mccluster hes 5ft9 190 pounds, shows baling speed with a 4.34 forty he could be our pr/kr guy

Rb:Noel Devine- hes 5ft8 180 runs a 4.34 forty sproles has lost his step and i think we might be our solution to our dash and slash and smash. (mathews= dash,slash=devine, smash= tolbert) hes not projected to go any higher than the 3rd round so he could be a steal

Ol:Nate Solder- with out a doubt should be our 1st round draft pick, hes 6ft 8 good footwork and is just powerful and quick, he could single handly get rid of that scrub clary

Gabe Carimi-for the same reason above. hes just alil bit slower

Te:Lee Smith- 6ft6 267 this guy screams match up nightmare, if gates teaches him some of his skills we could be lookin at another great tightend.. will he ever be gates no. but could he be great for us when gates retires yes

DL:Jarvis Jenkins- 6ft4 315 hes alil short for dl but plug him on the line and we could have a very beefy line. garay plus thomas plus jenkins.. he shows great worth ethic pushes the pocket and wont have any trouble getting to the qb and takin up blocks.

Christian Ballard- many people dont like him but i think with his height 6ft4 and weiht 298 he could help anchor our line with out a doubt. if not him. i say we wait and pick up daquan bowers next year :)

OLB-Quentin Davie- hes projected 6th rounder. but hes big at 6ft 4 and is quick i know we have alot invested in LB thats y i dont want to take one till the 6th round, but this guy will be a great addition to the team

SS:DeAndre McDaniel- id like him along weddle playing fs hes a beast nuff said

CB:Chris Culliver- quick fast shows good ball vision, could be a great corner if jammer takes him under his wing

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    First off, I apologize in advance if any of this comes off rude or mean sounding, that is not my intention I just tend to get a little hyper-critical when it comes to draft stuff and prospect scouting and occasionally I tend to sound a bit prickish. So please don't take anything I say here personally, just constructively.

I like him, and the speed isn't so much an issue. He's not as as fast as Naanee but he's a similar type of runner in that he long-strides - Jonathan Baldwin does the same thing - so his 100 yard dash time is on par with a number of other guys in this draft that don't have "elite" speed, it just takes him a shade longer (in terms of distance covered) before he hits second gear and gets to that top speed. He has the requisite speed to get behind secondaries and be a downfield threat on fade, post, and corner routes at the pro level, so that's really all you need to look at his speed for. With Naanee (RFA under the rules of either the most recent CBA or the one prior to that) and Crayton rostered for the next season and Floyd very likely to be able to be resigned for a reasonable sum (given that his inability to stay healthy consistently hurts his case for even low-end WR1 money), I'm not sure the FO is going to see receiver as a 1st or 2nd round need unless the value is out of this world (then again, AJ's had a recent infatuation with skill position players, so who really knows?).

He's more Emmanuel Sanders than Dexter McCluster. McCluster freelances a ton off his quick-twitch and the Chiefs tend to gameplan to utilize him more in space off of quick slants and short screens, Dexter route-running is good but not truly all that stellar. Jerrigan... has great route-running, it's crisp, it's clean, and it's lightning quick. If he can be had at the same price Sanders was then I'm not totally opposed to the idea, though he's almost exclusively a slot/returner guy who doesn't offer much on the outside aside from decoy-detail. We will have another year of Crayton to fill that capacity if we want, which means we could afford to not place as high a premium on a returner/scat guy (Crayton has experience as a successful returner in Dallas too, we just never really utilized him all that much because our WR corps was so banged up we needed him for first team reps on offense), of which this draft class is fairly thin at.

Possible, but I don't consider spending a 3rd round pick on a guy who's going to see maybe 4-5 carries, 5-7 receiving targets, and returner detail to be "a steal". It's decent value if the guy pans out, but I still need to see more tape (the Senior Bowl will help) of Devine's pass-blocking, because in WV's offense it's really hard to gauge what his abilities there are. People tend to overlook sometimes that Sproles is the best pass-blocking RB we have on the team, and if Devine can't pass-block then his likelihood of seeing the field decreases substantially (see Mathews).

This is where I have to ask exactly which Nate Solder you've been watching... or are you going entirely off of scouting sites? Solder, in my book, is only worth a Day 2 pick (that's 3rd round pick, unless he makes leaps and bounds of progress between now and the draft anyone who takes him with a 1st round pick is nuttier than Al Davis) based off of his ceiling and potential. He doesn't have a natural knee bend and plays far too upright, which for a player of his great height is going to absolutely kill him at the next level. He's Bruce Matthews all over again - a prospect that fans droll over because of his size/athleticism combo but whose fundamentals are so wretched that he's stamped as a major project by 90% of front offices. Ironically, he does a lot of the same things Clary does (though he doesn't give up on plays halfway through, I will say that much for him): Overextends far too much for my taste, gets abused by speed rushers which shouldn't be the case for someone with such athleticism and speed, and his technique (second most important thing for a OT behind a minimum of a 33" arm-length) is average if I'm being nice.

I do like his prospects as an RT, but 1) You don't invest a 1st round pick in a RT - even the Niners were pretty nuts to do that and they had a terrible right side of their OL in '09, and 2) Unless he either shows up with highly improved technique or we get better OL coaches, he's more than one rookie and training camp away from being a dependable starter at RT that won't get Rivers nearly killed as much as Clary does. He's a great run-blocker, there's no denying that, but his pass-blocking leaves A LOT to be desired.

Ditto for reasons I listed above, except I suspect that Carimi may have arm length concerns. A good-to-great OT is more than just stellar athleticism. If his technique is poor then all the athleticism in the world isn't going to save him. This isn't college anymore.

Admittedly, I haven't seen but maybe five minutes of tape on the guy and didn't even remember him as a prospect until I Googled him and remember that I'd seen him in limited action while scouting another Marshall player. His blocking stands out to me and is probably his best selling point from what I've seen. His speed isn't great and he certainly won't be able to get separation on seam routes the way Gates can, but as a potential other red-zone target or just purely a guy blocking in goal-line package or motioning back to a staggered FB/blocking-back the way Manumaleuna used to do for us, he could have a good deal of value. Not having a 4th or 5th round pick (specifically the 5th because I'd say that's about where his value sits) could hurt us in acquiring him. If we luck out in getting a comp 5th for Osgood we might stand a prayer at laying hands on him, but that's asking for a lot of stars to align. Good spotting though!

You really like raw prospects, don't you? And actually 6'4" is about ideal height for a 5-Technique. His technique is OK, not great. And what worries me is that he's another Kentwaan Balmer, because the tape certainly makes a case for that. What I'm referring to is that he's majorly benefiting from the talent of the line he's playing on. Jenkins best games have consistently come when opposing blocking schemes have been adjusted to try and double-team Bowers and leaving Jenkins single-blocked. That doesn't speak worlds to me that he's going to be effective as a stack-and-shed guy who can take on double-teams at the next level and still be effective. I'm not nearly as down on him as I am on prospects like Ballard (yeah, I'll get to him) and Lawrence Guy, but Jenkins is kind of like my emergency stop-gap DE if we fail to lay hands on one of the considerably better ones earlier on in the draft... and even then just due to demand Jenkins won't last past the bottom of the 2nd round.

Bowers will come out this year, no doubt in my mind. Clemson's not going to be competing for a NC anytime soon and Bowers will likely grade out as a Top 5 pick this year (he's done enough to jump Robert Quinn, or rather Quinn's done enough to push himself below Bowers), and he plays a premium position so he'd be a fool to not strike while the iron is hot. Ballard is reaping the benefits of opposing offenses scheming to shut-out Adrian Clayborn this year. He does well shooting a gap for a TFL because of a good quick release, but he seriously lacks both upper body and upper leg strength and has gotten by on his athleticism and understanding of the game. As a 4th round prospect and for a team that could afford to give him a year in the weight room before needing to see him occupying legitimate chunks of minutes in games, I think he's a great prospect. But as a guy to come in and play considerable minutes as a rookie, he scares the crap out of me as a guy who could potentially get effectively single-blocked by little more than an offensive tackle or a well-schooled TE even (I truly believe the likes of Alge Crumpler and Daniel Graham could contain Ballard one on one at this point).

He's light, which is my initial concern - if he puts on the requisite amount of bulk (at least 15-20 lbs) to effectively play the position and not lose his speed? As a UDFA, I wouldn't mind him in the least. I'm not sure I'd go so far to spend a 6th round pick on him unless I thought he had the potential to kick inside as well - he's been playing WLB for the Wildcats so he's decently adept a moving laterally in space but I haven't seen him have to cover much. He's definitely someone to keep and eye on, but I don't think he's going to get a combine invite without a big-time Shrine game (and that's assuming he got an invite to that game), so it'll be difficult to see how much bulk he manages to initially put on during the offseason and prior to the draft and how that effects his speed/agility.

Character corners out the yin yang. His tackling technique leaves a lot to be desired. I just think he's getting overhyped. I wouldn't complain too much about spending a 3rd on him if he interviewed well just based off the value and the potential "profit" from the pick, but quite frankly, I'd just as soon we not spend yet another mid-round pick on the safety position and keep throwing the you-know-what at the wall and hoping it sticks. Honestly, my safety-solution pipe dream is that when Denver goes into total rebuilding mode - which they will - and released Brian Dawkins - which they should - that somehow AJ sees this is a valuable veteran leadership signing and goes after him. The perk of having Weddle is that you can allow Dawkins to freelance in the medium level or swap out between the two doing such. And Dawkins bring the kind of fire this team could sorely use on defense, and we offer him a better-than-most shot (of those that would be seeking free agent safeties in 2011 - aside from perhaps Baltimore) at putting that elusive ring on his finger.

I like him better as a safety, and even then I have concerns about his build, which is something that typically tends to be an issue with corners that are converts from receiver like he is. He's got an added bonus as a returner, but while he's a willing tackler in the run game, his technique isn't refined and he needs considerably more bulk to not be limited to strictly shoe-string/ankle tackles on pro RB's. I actually like his prospects down the line as a centerfielder type of safety, but as a corner I'm worried just because we've already seen this season where his slight frame is contributing to him missing some serious time due to wear-and-tear injuries.

3. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, like LBC, I don't want to come off as disrespectful, but I have to ask if you've actually seen Nate Solder play. From what I've seen, he is an awful pass-blocker and doesn't get enough push in the run game. I wouldn't draft him at all, to be honest.

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    To be fair, I've seen Colorado fans defend him till they're blue in the face and wanting to cite tape from this year, but let's be honest... the tape they point to is Colorado State, Hawaii, and so forth... not exactly prolific pass-rushers and in nearly all cases they were undersized lines that the Buffs just ran on 75%+ of the time, so it's not like Solder was ever having to block for much more than a few instances where CU was trying to run play-action.

Then you put on the Cal, Nebraska, Mizzou, Georgia (even in a winning effort), and Oklahoma games (and arguably several good portions of the Baylor game) and it's fairly easy to spot the flaws to his game.

5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +116
    "DL:Jarvis Jenkins- 6ft4 315 hes alil short for dl but plug him on the line and we could have a very beefy line. garay plus thomas plus jenkins.. he shows great worth ethic pushes the pocket and wont have any trouble getting to the qb and takin up blocks.
    You really like raw prospects, don't you? And actually 6'4" is about ideal height for a 5-Technique. His technique is OK, not great. And what worries me is that he's another Kentwaan Balmer, because the tape certainly makes a case for that. What I'm referring to is that he's majorly benefiting from the talent of the line he's playing on. Jenkins best games have consistently come when opposing blocking schemes have been adjusted to try and double-team Bowers and leaving Jenkins single-blocked. That doesn't speak worlds to me that he's going to be effective as a stack-and-shed guy who can take on double-teams at the next level and still be effective. I'm not nearly as down on him as I am on prospects like Ballard (yeah, I'll get to him) and Lawrence Guy, but Jenkins is kind of like my emergency stop-gap DE if we fail to lay hands on one of the considerably better ones earlier on in the draft... and even then just due to demand Jenkins won't last past the bottom of the 2nd round."

The reason i like jarvis jenkins is for this he has the ability to suck up blocks rather than to deafeat them. on our line right now assuming that we ran a package where we had 4 down lineman " castillo,cam thomas,antonio garay,and jarvis jenkins" thats 1215 pounds on the dline, thats a pretty heave d line and with our linebacker corp we would have the speed with donald butler and brandon siler to effectively blitz the A- gap created by theese monsters on the line, resulting in what we all scream for sacks, confusing picks turnovers...

Quentin Davie- i like this guy for a situational linebacker when its 3rd and long and i say that because he is underweight, he could easily turn into a linebacker who can cover like a safety and help contain his assignment what we been missing. i think that if we drop beckwith we can afford to add him and drop him to englishs spot. he could bulk up and we could hit the gold mine

Deandre mcdaniel- hes a pick that could be a bust or he could be a goldmine, he shows skills to fly to the ball and snatch it away, but he also does show that he can be lazy and get beat, we ether could get a brian dawkins out of him or a marlon mcree i think hes worth a shot