1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The combined Marty angst thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltdiehard, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Perhaps no one is giving up, but many here have posted "We will NEVER win with Marty." That is wrong.

Its also very fair weatherish, as there were only two people questioning the SAME conservative play calling when we had a W. Me and L. Everyone was fine with it then because of the W. Now we have an L, and people are up in arms.

2. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I don't think I've read any posts saying we won't win again. I've read posts that say we won't win against good teams or in the playoffs.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Here is just one for example...

Its what people are saying in this very thread. They are o.k. with the run, run, run, punt when we win. Yet all up in arms when we lose. I know its to be expected, but I think at the third game of the season, its EXTREEMLY knee jerk.

4. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Hey, I want to be a glass half full type of guy, but what has Marty shown you to make you believe he'll have more balance??

5. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Yeah, but that is Shammy, he goes off the deep end like Trumpy sometimes :yes:

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Last 2 years 22 wins. He may not be. But I have found that getting upset about it only ruins my day. I cant effect any changes with the team.

I am just trying to be a voice of reason against the 'Fire Marty" bandwagon festivities.

Why anticipate a loss against the Stealers? Did you anticipate a loss against the pats or Colts last season? Its the same Martyball game. You all say so. You point to his long history of Martyball. Did you expect to lose last year? Did we? Do you really think the entire football season is already predetermined? That it cant happen on any given Sunday? Are you ready to trow in the towel after on close loss? What if the next game the snap is good and we get the FG instead of a bad play? Chaos thoery. Nothing stays the same!

So buck up Charger fans! Stop acting like a bunch of primadonas! There is a lot of Fottball to win and we need to be positive about our team and sport the colors with pride.

The game is long over! Look forward to a WIN against the Stealer. If we dont get it, cross that bridge then. Dont burn the bridge now because you ANTICIPATE a loss... Thats Raider fan ****.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Go back and look, at least 4 people have posted the same thing.

8. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    Well what can I say ,Shammy has a POWERFUL effect on people!! :icon_tease:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    He does, and I still love him like a brother.

A baby brother you put in a sack and beat regularly!:lol:

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    MartyBall = :deadhorse:

11. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

:lol:

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    What are you trying to say?

:lol:

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :drama: :icon_finger: :icon_banana:

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Only those downwind :icon_rofl:

15. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

:icon_rofl:

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Here is another blurb from ESPN. I don't have Insider, the Mag they make you subscribe to is only good for camp *** wipe.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=green_jeremy#20061003
    'Marty Ball' still stifling Chargers

17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Connect the dots :)

MartyBall = :deadhorse: = 29% in the Playoffs = NO SB Appearances in his long coaching career.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    It can happen. It can happen this year. Nothing is dictated by the past.

19. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    The problem isn't Martyball itself. It's when it is used. This past Sunday was the WRONG time to use it protecting a 6 point lead. 6 point leads are meant to be added on. If the Chargers have a minimum 17 point lead in points of the 4th quarter, then implementing Martyball is no problem.

20. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    That's exactly how I feel. However, I feel this team has more talent across the board than that '78 team Prothro had. To me, this is a greater waste of talent and time.

Complaining does do one thing. It is is a rumbling in Dean Spanos' ear. I wrote him, and hope others who feel the same will too.

21. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    From the Baltimore Sun:

Chargers' caution gave Ravens green light

The next time you watch a replay of Sunday's game-winning touchdown pass for the Ravens - you'll see it, you'll see it - take your eye off the ball and check out what happens at the line of scrimmage. Check out the San Diego Chargers rushing just three men.

That's right, after hounding and pounding Ravens quarterback Steve McNair for more than 59 minutes, the Chargers suddenly took their foot off the gas pedal with the game on the line. [/B]They let McNair have all the time he needed, and he beat them.

That's a perfect metaphor for the entire game. The Chargers scored first, led almost all day and had several chances to put the Ravens away; they gained more yards, controlled the ball longer and, let's face it, often appeared to be the better team. But they eased up when it mattered most, played conservatively instead of aggressively, and it cost them.

The unbeaten Ravens' 16-13 victory is rightfully being portrayed here as a heroic, come-from-behind effort, but in San Diego, they're lamenting wasted opportunities and the Chargers' tentativeness with the game on the line - a recurring theme during the five years Marty Schottenheimer has coached the team.

Schottenheimer, 63, is a longtime NFL coach with a .601 career winning percentage in regular-season games (as opposed to a 5-12 playoff record). Fairly or not, he is known for coaching winning teams that play it a little too straight to be great. A San Diego Union-Tribune columnist wrote yesterday that Schottenheimer plays it so close to the vest sometimes he could be mistaken for a watch fob.

Sunday's game offered a textbook case. The Chargers took charge early, led by six points at halftime, and with their defense in control, had several chances to extend their lead and likely knock out the Ravens. But they went conservative.

On third-and-six at the Ravens' 24 in the third quarter, they ran for 2 yards instead of passing and came away with no points when Nate Kaeding missed a 40-yard field-goal attempt.

Midway through the fourth quarter, still up six, they started a series at the Ravens' 25 after an interception, but ran twice even after a clipping penalty set them back 15 yards, threw an incompletion on third down and came away with no points again when Mike Scifres fumbled the hold on a field-goal attempt.

In all, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers attempted just four passes in the second half until the team's no-hope possession in the final seconds. And that was after he had completed nine of 14 passes in the first half.

Oh, the Ravens blew their share of scoring chances, too; Daniel Wilcox fumbled on the San Diego 1-yard line, and Derrick Mason dropped a sure touchdown. But those were physical mistakes, as opposed to, in the Chargers' case, the result of dubious strategy.

In Schottenheimer's defense, the Chargers' LaDainian Tomlinson ran the ball fairly well all day, and Rivers seemed to fade as the game wore on; he overthrew a possible touchdown with seven minutes left.

But don't think for a second that the Ravens weren't thrilled to see him passing less and less as the Chargers essentially just tried to hold on.
    "I'm glad [Schottenheimer] stuck to his game plan because that Rivers kid could play," Ravens linebacker Bart Scott told The Sun's Mike Preston.

The Chargers almost pulled it off. They still led by four when McNair started the winning drive at the Ravens' 40 with 3:12 left. The Chargers needed just one stop, and the Ravens hadn't scored since the first quarter.

The Chargers rushed McNair hard as the drive started, but they backed off when the Ravens moved into scoring territory. On the winning play, just three guys took aim at McNair as linebacker Shawne Merriman dropped into pass coverage.

Ravens coach Brian Billick declined to criticize the Chargers' strategy yesterday. He said both the "passive" and "aggressive" defensive approaches (Billick's descriptions) leave openings that can be exploited, and that he "would go sixes on that," meaning six one way and a half-dozen the other as far as which he preferred in that situation.

But the Chargers' passiveness was a critical component of the winning play. The lack of pressure was a gift to McNair. According to STATS, Inc., he has completed seven of eight passes this season when opponents rush three men. Otherwise, he is barely completing 50 percent of his attempts.
    The lack of pressure gave him all the time he needed to find Heap, who wasn't his first option. Symbolically, Merriman was one of the defenders Heap plowed through on the way to the end zone.

"You have to give [the Ravens] credit. They were more aggressive," Tomlinson told the Union-Tribune.
    And the Chargers got what they deserved for easing up on the pedal before the race was over.

22. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I do give Prothro credit for assembling that Air Coryell team. He drafted the bulk of what Coryell used to win.

23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    When the behaviors of the past are still the behaviors of the present, then similar results can be expected.

Not sure who first coined the phrase, but it is relevant to our head coach.
    "Those who forget the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat it"

24. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    George Santayana (16 December 1863 in Madrid, Spain – 26 September 1952 in Rome, Italy), was a philosopher, essayist, poet and novelist.

25. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    FYI:

The Chargers vs. Ravens game will be played on the NFL Channel tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    thisis one of hte few times i'll say thank GOD I have homework

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    The first two minutes should be good!:tup:

28. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Awesome article Shammy. This quote hurts the most

"On third-and-six at the Ravens' 24 in the third quarter, they ran for 2 yards instead of passing and came away with no points when Nate Kaeding missed a 40-yard field-goal attempt. "

Thats what I really don't get. You're on the ravens 24 yard line and still no pass ???

Whatever. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  29. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    What's not to get? We were trying to impose our will on the ground, because teams are going with lighter cornerbacks these days.

:icon_rofl: