1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Cottrell Effect

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Nov 5, 2007.

?

The Ted Cottrell Effect... Why is our D so frigging sucky?

1. failure to blitz our LBs.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. drops too many LBs into coverage.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. lost Wade Phillips playbook and we're using Art Shell's.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Donnie Edwards is gone.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Ted is putting salt peter in Merriman's oatmeal.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Ron Rivera is the answer man... fire Ted now.

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Why does our D....suck so bad.

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    aota (all of the above)

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Hey Powayslugger. You need one more selection, "All of the Above" Good points though.

4. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Cottrell doesn't have "it". Dude has 2 years of film of the Chargers owning the competition with the current players with the current playbook. All he has to do is manage. Let the assistants that train do their jobs.

Does Cottrell know how to read or press the "play" button on the DVD player?

Play to our strength. 3 man front, 2-4 rushing LB's, 0-2 LB's in the flat and man cover with Cromartie and Jammer. Bring up the Safties when rushing 4 LB's.

That's what got us to 14-2 last year. Now the 'D' can't carry their collective jock, much less the Offence.

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
  6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    For most or all of cottrells career he hasn't seemed to be the best d-coordinator. He must be good at something. But as a d-coordinator he's not done all that well.

Which brings up the glaring thought. We have one of the best d-coordinators on staff in the nfl right now(Rivera). Gonna be interesting when that fact finally occurs to the chargers.

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    When he was with the Jets they had a formidable unit for sure, guess it was all personell

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And still he got fired. Good unit IN SPITE of Ted??

I'll volunteer to be the one who takes him out back & shoots him in the head. :icon_evil:

Shammie, you digging the hole?

9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    You guys ought to have you own traveling comedy show! We had a small blip at the beginning of the year and have been dead on since. We held our ground in the first half of the Minne game and it was only when Jammer & Castillo went out that they had their way with us. Plus it didn't help not having "the other Shawn" in the game. That is 3 of our bigtime players out. It's funny how we talk about running the ball to "wear down" opposing teams and we understand the concept of having the opposing defense on the field for such a long time and yet when we have 6 3 and outs, and turnovers and our defense is on the field (remind you without Jammer, Castillo & Phillips) you all turn a blind eye to it. Yeah, this game falls on Cottrell. Nothing like a bunch of armchair GM's out there thinking they know the lay of the land.

This has been a paid message from Mr Ted Cottrell.

10. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Hmmm

There was a stretch of games last year where this team was without merriman and castillo and phillips...

how well did they do then???

11. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Don't try and talk sense with me.

Think Boltsnow.....think Boltsnow:icon_huh::icon_huh:

Oh yeah, we knew we were without them last year. Other then Phillips, Castillo & Jammer were game time injuries, no way to plan for that. I saw Mckinney I think it was go down also. I'd rather have the injuries during the week so I can have the backups taking snaps with the 1st squad then to have to fill holes as the game is going on.

Ok, How I do?

I'd like to see you guys get stuck with Cottrell and have to defend him! This **** ain't easy!:icon_rofl:

12. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    It seems like teams are picking up the blitzes this year .. Are they not being disguised as well? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Be easier than living with my ex. RE. Rivera-he should quietly be inserted into more authority, beginning, like, now. Castillo being out is a real blow. Now we will find out reams and reams of stuff about Cro. At least he'll be more prepped to step in for Drayton next season and now Oliver will get some seasoning.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Well, Cro should get more snaps. I can't say how prepped he'll be.