1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Cowboys are going to come strong for Shaun Phillips

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Bank on it. With the Cowboys complete lack of a pass rush, coupled with Wade's familiarity with Shaun, I won't be surprised to see them make a big run at #95. One we can't match. While getting first round compensation would be nice, I would rather have Phillips. He is a sure thing. This team is built to win NOW, and with the pending loss of Turner and possibly Dielman, we can't afford to lose another young stud.

As offseasons go, they don't get much worse than the one we have shaping up before us. FU Marty.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If we get a first round pick for Shaun Phillips - bye.

I hope we tender his *** at least a top tender to command a first and third pick but if we get a first round pick, take it.

3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

RFA...let em come. AJ will give him the highest tender.

Id take a first and third for him but id bet the farm they wont be willing to give that up.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed.

Picture if AJ gets a FIRST for Turner and Phillips which gives us THREE FIRST ROUND picks. sheet man !!!

5. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    "We could trade all three of them for Calvin Johnson!"

Signed,

leisure.

6. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Why do you guys want to build for the future when we have a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM now? Aside from Marty, everything is in place. Why do you want to risk that on a bunch of rookies that might take years to develop, ala Jammer?

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    DeMarcus Ware - Greg Ellis

Ellis is under contract for a few more years, and did well before his injury. He didn't want to make the transition to the OLB, but succeeded before his injury.

This chat wrap with a Cowboys writer includes this tidbit:

BTW: That's some interesting reading in that chat on the venom from most Cowboys fans about Wade Phillips hiring.

8. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    No way in h..ll
    we have to keep Shaun he is the one ho forces fumbles when he gets to the QB

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'd have to think alot of teams would like shaun phillips. But as mentioned the chargers can sign him to a longer term contract or put a tag on him.

Sounds from all reports that shaun wants to stay in san diego. Seems pretty happy.

10. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Sorry, but that guy is nuts if he is going to try and tell us that speed isn't essential as a pass rusher. The first step is everything from a 3-4 OLB, and that wicked first step is what makes Phillips such a stud. You can't tell me that the Cowboys are going to be happy with Ware and a guy coming off a blown achilles. Guys rarely come back at 100% after a devastating injury like that, and Dallas is going to have to make plans to account for this. Add all of this to Shaun's familiarity with Wade and his system, and this has all the ingredients for a contract offer that could be tough to match.

The Cowboys sack totals last season:

9 games with Ellis: 19 sacks, 2.1 per game.
    7 games without him: 15 sacks, 2.1 per game.

Only 10 teams had fewer sacks than their 34. I can't help but think that a stud like Shaun would not only improve those numbers, but would help take some of the pressure off their own stud in Ware. Even if Ellis comes back at 100%, that would be a pretty nice rotation to have.

AJ won't put the 1st and 3rd compensation on him. Just the first imo. I don't think that some rookie drafted with the 22nd pick is worth losing a stud vet that is coming into his prime. Shaun has a 15 sack type season in his future and is the perfect compliment to Merriman on the other side. Why would anyone want to mess with that?

We need to get this guy inked before March 1st, as I am certain that come 9pm local time on February 28th, Wade is going to come knocking with Jerry Jones pocket book in his hand.

11. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    A first and third - the level that Phillips should be tendered at - is a steep price to pay. Has any team ever poached an RFA at that compensation level?

I agree that an achilles is difficult to come back from. Remember the lack of range showed by center Cory Raymer after his achilles injury? He worked on one leg for most of the next season as Jason Ball's backup. No leverage in his lower body, and that had been his strength before his injury.

The writer is Mickey Spagnola, one of the Dallas area guys I used to like listening to. Him, Gosselin, and Randy Galloway all do radio shows up there, and I try to catch them when I can as they usually have good around the NFL type info. But, these past couple years - especially hearing Spagnola and Galloway's logic (passed from ftwbolt mostly) about the reasoning of who the 'Boyz should hire, it makes me wonder about them. Ball watching and QB centrism abound on the airwaves up there right now.

Still, even if Ellis is slowed, spending two first day picks for Shaun Phillips is a lot to pay for the Cowboys. They still need a true nose tackle, a coverage safety and some OL help. They would be better off using those picks in those three areas, and looking for a second day "tweener" to fill Ellis' spot if he can't return healthy.

12. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    There aren't many restricted free agents lost period. Which is why any rumor about Phillips or Turner leaving for whatever AJ tenders them, I won't believe until I see it.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    It should be easy to keep a RFA. Isn't it as simple as matching anything offered them?

If the Cowboys want to give Phillips some insanely high salary-cap hurting contract, all the while giving us their 1st and 3rd as well.... I'd really hate to lose Shaun even for that, but Dallas would be making a dumb move themselves...which means I doubt they'd make it.

14. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    It's not that simple. A team might offer a contract that is no where near what the Chargers want to pay him. We simply don't match it to keep him while mortgaging our future away.

15. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Turner is different than Phillips, simply because Turner is a backup and Phillips is a starter. The Chargers might work out a trade, lower than the tender price, to move Turner and gain some compensation for him. Otherwise, he'll leave as a UFA after the 2007 season, and the only compensation SD can acquire will be a 2009 draft compensatory pick.

I like Turner, but he's not a proven starter. Getting good compensation for him now is a hell of a lot better than getting (at best) an end of third round pick two seasons from now.

16. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

Ferguson is no Jamal Williams.

However, I do think he'll be better in Wade's one-gap 3-4, than the two-gap run by Parcells. Still, the Cowboys would be advised to look to upgrade that position in the draft. He's entering his 11th season in 2007.

Julian Peterson's play the first year back (2005) after his injury was average (3 sacks, 2.5 of that total in one game). In 2006, he blossomed to become - for Seattle - what people had held of his promise coming out of college (10 sacks in '06).

17. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think Jerry Jones opening up his checkbook to Dielman is a stronger possibility than the Cowboys going after Shaun Phillips.

18. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Come on guys lets trade turner then phillips then franchise dielman and trade him too. Four 1st rounders you can do it AJ, then we could draft Ted Ginn Dwayne Bowe Sidney Rice and Robert Meachum and everyone can shut the **** up about which WR we need. Give up dielman phillips and turner to stabilize the wr corps for a decade - i would do it :abq2:

19. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    BTW guys I completely did not know Ahmad Bradshaw declared for the draft. This guy is a sick runner whoever gets him will be getting a RB with starting potential in the late rounds if he can keep his issues in check and they really aren't that bad. He has incredible talent.

And LeRon McClain can KMA it's all about Deon Anderson

20. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I'm glad you're not AJ then! :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  21. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    but with wade as coach and roy williams as safety - the cowboys will blow in pass coverage.

22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    But, if it's "too high that the Chargers don't want to pay it" I'd venture to guess that it's too high that the Cowboys shouldn't offer it to begin with.

That's pretty much what I meant by "If the Cowboys want to give Phillips some insanely high salary-cap hurting contract..."

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Ok...

But how much will he want? We've got the $$$$, but will AJ open the bank vault?

Only "Gawd" knows the answer to that question. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    NO!

Three years now posting Icons such as Trumpet_Man, Eldwin, Shamrock and others have said that AJ would spend in the free agency market. Each season AJ doesnt spend.

So dont expect much from the FA market, AJ doesnt spend the green at that scene.

• Like Like x 1
  25. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Are you saying that Conc has been wrong before? :lol: