1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Cut List

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Chargers cut Buster Davis, five others
    ESPN.com
    By Bill Williamson

The San Diego Chargers have released six players. There are no surprises.

Here is the list: receiver Buster Davis, linebacker Brandon Lang, cornerback Donald Strickland, linebacker Jyles Tucker and tight end Kris Wilson. The Chargers also withdrew their qualifying offer from linebacker Antwan Applewhite. All six players are now free agents.

The Chargers finally ran out of patience with Davis, a first-round pick in 2007. He has skills, but he just can’t stay healthy.

2. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    About damn time!

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    And nothing of value was lost.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Buster ****** Davis....I can honestly say I told ya so.

A little surprised we cut Strickland, dude was solid.

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Glad to see the back of all these guys. The play of Dante Hughes and the drafting of a DB early made Strickland expendable. Tucker had one good game (against the Raiders if I recall), got his money but seeminlgy couldn't stay healthy afterwards. He had some game though. I dunno about Buster, I was never convinced he was ever going to be starting WR material. Far too easily banged up for the Pros. Applewhite = serviceable journeyman type, his DUI gave them the excuse they needed to drop him. Wonder who the 3rd TE might be now?.

6. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    One question: Did Buster injure himself leaving the Chargers facility for the last time?

• Like Like x 1
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Haven't seen anyone cut thus far I regret seeing go. And I think Buster's release is as much a "take note" gesture to English as anything that just because you're a 1st round pick doesn't mean you're safe. I'd say English has this year to prove himself otherwise, I really do believe now that AJ will drop the ax on his head and send him packing.

Lang had potential, and I might have liked to see if Manusky could have done something to develop him, but he didn't contribute enough on S/T to merit keeping him as a 3rd string guy. And to be honest, I'm getting the feeling that we've learned from the mistakes of last season and unless we are confident you can contribute on S/T when brought up as an injury-filler from the PS to the active roster, you're not getting a spot on the PS, barring maybe two spots for a QB or OL.

Applewhite's utility was nice, but if you don't differentiate yourself from the rest of the pack (which he really didn't) then you can't afford to draw unnecessary attention to yourself with off-the-field issues... and he did do that. We do have to pray that we have either a UDFA, another signing, or English has progressed mightily in his ability to work in space, because if Phillips goes down we don't have squat in terms of an OLB that's at all good in coverage (LaBoy is pretty bad, Barnes is mediocre at best) if Phillips gets injured. It was the one thing that could be said in Tucker's defense. Not stellar but he was pretty solid in run-defense and pass-coverage. Kris Wilson... OK red-zone threat, not much of a chain mover, can't block to save his life (Seriously, Hester blocks better than him and that's saying A LOT). I don't think Sperry's much better in the blocking dept. but at least he's shown better ability to find soft spots in zone coverage and to fight for yards after initial contact. All-in-all, we are going to start needing to consider - as soon potentially as the '12 or '13 drafts - life after Gates. TE's aren't a huge premium in today's league, but (because we refuse to address gaining an above average RT) we have an affinity for running 2-TE sets and the guys of his quality are typically late 1st/early 2nd round guys (closest player in the league currently that has a ceiling anywhere near Gates' that was drafted after the first round is Zach Miller who was a rather early 2nd, and Rob Gronkowski who was the same - and only because he was coming off and injury and had spinal stenosis).

8. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    It was reported he pulled a hammy... :D

9. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    3rd TE is Kory Sperry. Looked decent in practice today and filled in well in spots last season. He's a solid 3.

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    *Buster Davis trips on his foot*

11. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Im just back from vacation and have an awful lot of catching up to do so may as well start here. Strickland was solid enough last season I thought. Alas Busters term in SD has come to an end, if he had of stayed healthy for all of last season when he was in the process of racking up some semi semi decent numbers, there may have been a slight chance of keeping him, but it was not to be.

12. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I wonder if another team gives him a shot?

13. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Someone will, but knowing Buster he will end up injured at some stage or he wont impress, I wish him well though.