1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The day after Charger Sea Hags impressions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RMANCIL, Aug 13, 2007.

1. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Sproles had a huge game and I think he needed one. I also think he needs to continue to show he can be a asset running the ball from the los. Tyrone Gross had a nice run from the los and he should see more pt with the top two units as he and Sproles battle for that last RB position.

Scott Mruczcowski OG had a bad game and needs to show a lot of improvement. He got beat on several loop (stunt) plays by DE on the pass rush.He also was not impressive run blocking.

Scott Chandler TE made several nice plays. His size and hands work well as a target across the middle and he has enough speed to attack the deep middle of the field.

Malcom Floyd dropped one pass that was slow getting to him and he ran a route short of a 1st down marker other wise he showed a ability to get open on the under routes the Bolts love. He also demonstrated a good set of hands snatching the ball out of the air on a couple of plays where the pass were leading. Liked his quickness off the line and he beat the jam off the los by a CB and got separation on a under route which at 6-5 is the big concern I think with him.

None of the MILB group stood out for me unfortunately , the Chargers often saw 2 and 5 on the down marker. Carlos Polk looked very silly strutting around after making a tackle in a preseason game.

Eric Weddle was very impressive , this kid looked very good. I saw a little of Tenn preseason game and he looks much better than Griffin who I had rated very high before the draft. Of course Griffin has been moved to CB which is a new position. Weddle still was much smoother seemed to keep his feet in the right position , good angles and he always looked like he had his head in the game. Some times rookie have a befuddled appearance not Weddle. I loved the shot of his family in the stands. One game one int not bad.

Coach Cottrell defense was in some questionable sets in particular a 3-4 at the 6 yard line late in the 4th QT which saw a run play up the middle go for 6. You have to think that a GL front would have been the call with instructions to the DL to play stack and read along the DL. I also thought that they sent the same corner blitz with Oliver to much. All in all the defense play was not impressive.

Naanee also was very inmpressive , man is Smith a GM of the ages or what?

2. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Hey R how you've been? nice take couldn't agree more. :tup:

3. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Nice to see Weddle making some plays and bringing some value.

And of course Florence with an INT.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I only watched the first half.

THe one major thing I noticed was the quiet confidence this team brings. I like that they don't come with a "we're bad asses, shoulda coulda woulda" attitude.

It looks like they are all business.

big props

:tup: :tup: :tup:

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It was an ugly scrimmage for both first units.

other than that... my wife said she likes the new uni's.

Oh, and the rooks looked good.

:yawn:

6. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Lekkerkerker stunk up the joint by giving up that sack. Then made things worse with that false start on the next play.

Unacceptable.

Oldie Out

7. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I agree with all of your impressions but one thing I really did not like in this game was the last play for us in which Whitehurst threw the INT...Scott Chandler pretty much saw that it wasn't a perfect pass and completely gave up, I think he could have attempted at least to make a play on the ball and as they say," Become the defender" to prevent a turnover. Not only that but after the pick he kind of just jogs after the defender. Somebody has to be telling these guys that defenders running with the football are likely to lose the ball if you attempt to strip it...see chargers patriots playoff game

8. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I really don't think Chandler was even aware of where the ball was and who was around him. He looked like a rookie on that play. Whitehurst gave him a chance to make a play if he ran the route correctly, but he probably should have thrown it somewhere else.

9. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    No one has brought up the coaching as much as I thought they would. I think at the end of the day, you have to point to Norv when it comes to the team looking/playing like they are prepared. In this case, they didn't. I don't want to say that Norv looked lost, but he did have the deer in the headlights look which scares me a little. It's the first game so I'll wait until the next one before I get too concerned. However, all I know is that there better be some serious butt chewing today when they review tape. Too many mental mistakes and sloppy play.
    I know I'm a Weddle homer, but everyone on D looked like they were running through mud except for him. Maybe it's just the difference between a vet shrugging this off as a glorified scrimmage versus a rookie trying to make an impression. Regardless, I know that for a team that continues to talk about destiny and the playoffs in August, they have a lot of work to do.

Rivers said it best, when he stated that maybe it was a good thing this happened to them.

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I didn't see anything from the game and the threat was the first
    to read. So you folks are in quite cool mood. Nothing spectacular
    when the third string team looses at home ?

I search for other threads now.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Damn, Phillycharger. I was so caught up in your avatar and sig pic I forgot what this thread was about! Dayum!

• Like Like x 1
  12. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    buttmuch,
    I know I for one and laying off the coaches because its the first preseason game. For the most part I don't even care about mistakes players made. Get deeper into the preseason and the team looks like that and I'm sure there will be some calls for Marty to come back QUICK.

13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Weddle looked good.

None of the MLBs really impressed me.

WAY too many penalties!

14. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    The Chargers seemed unprepared and sloppy. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Rivers was sacked twice in the first quarter. That needs to be fixed immediately. Start with that Norv. :yes:

16. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I agree, get the Oline squared away and everything else will fall into place.:tup:

17. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    They looked a little, lacksidazical???(sp) I dunno, like they weren't trying too hard. Some of the rookies played well, and I think when the rest of the team plays with that intensity, no probs.

18. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Good game:
    Sproles, Weddle, Naanee, Kaeding, Bingham

Pretty good game:
    Floyd, Chandler, Pinnock

Mruck and Lekk need to make up ground

Scifres punt downed inside the 10 was killer!:tup:

Even though he had to hold the receiver to get it it was good to see Florence hold on to the pick...:lol:

Volek looked serviceable and Charlie looked decent but he also has a lot of ground to make up.

I had hoped to see more of Buster, but I want to see no more of the reverse.

The first team looked like they were running at half speed to me, maybe easing into the preseason...:icon_shrug:

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    My impressions:

Preseason = Bad football played by scrubs

20. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Sproles may yet have a spot on this team. I think we need to try and get him in the open field and then throw him the ball. He could be a good fill-in for when LT needs a blow.

Chandler will be a good one. Imagine, three big TEs with great hands and blocking ability. (well, maybe not gates....)

Nanee is going to add a nice 'wrinkle'.

Floyd is our number one WR. It will happen.

Davis is going to make some big plays, too.

Weddle is definitely a smart player. His interception was on an overthrow, no doubt, but the fact that he was running to where the ball and receiver should have met up is a smart move. I can see some safetys running short and having the ball go over their heads for a reception.

Our QBs look good. Rivers needs to either be quicker on blitzes or we need better protection, or both.

Coverage on STs was pretty good. Crosby is still an idiot that should be flogged.

on the bad side....

too many penalties, especially on first stringers.

crosby

fumbles

we didn't have any defensive pressure, but I'm just assuming it was by design.

Our starting Oline need to be more focused.

All in all, not impressive, but not horrible. It's preseason. How can you really judge?

we put up a lot of yards.

we need a new stadium. The public address was totally inaudible. Just a bunch of background noise. Pathetic.

In all the new stadiums I"ve been to, each section of seats has it's own speaker that is pointed at it from the level above.

The Q was the worst performance last night.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Both sides of the team were out of synch. Even the offensive line didn't seem too coordinated. If things don't look better next week I might start to worry just a tad. We do have some nice looking rooks, though.

22. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    We will be OK. We lost to SF in the preseason last year, Rivers fumbled the snap twice against Seattle, and we still went 14-2 regular season.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Well the day after gave me these impressions.

The first play I saw was the TD from Volek to Floyd. By the time I sat down, it was already the second quarter (one of our tailgaters needed to get ambulanced out so I got delayed - dude is ok).

All I heard on my way to my seats were sloppy play and too many penalties by the first units.

The second line o-unit was a sieve for the pass rush.

Volek looked better than Whitehurst but the drop-off is nil.

Pass defense was MIA and the WR's for the Seahawks found the open zones all night long.

Scott Chandler is a beast and reminds me of a bigger Pete Holohan. He drifted on a route and ended up mising a ball but I am not sure what the QB saw and what the WR saw in the secondary reads.

The biggest impression is that we needed more BEER and WATER and the tailgater. Bolttalk.com is not providing the free beer cooler this year so heads up. I had talked to Eric about liability in case one of you over the edge fans decides to go sideways or head-on into another car, Bolttalk.com could end up getting hassled.

BYOB = CYA :yes: :tup:

24. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I'll be sure to bring my own beer. Next time I need to bring something like 24 beers to satisfy my desire for Amber Lager.

25. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Great , glad to see some football you?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Like what i saw from Weddle and the INT was nice but it was a bad throw by Wallace so it was an easy pick.

Glad to see Florence catch a ball

OL depth looks weak and Lekerkekrekekekr did not look good.

Whitehurst didnt show much progress to me. Looks like a 3rd stringer.

Sprole mad a nice case for himself but imo did not solidify a spot yet. He is a return man first!

Liked what i saw from Gross. He runs hard and is bigger than Sproles and has some agility.

Chandler looked pretty good and has definte possibility's.

Pinnock looked slow and stone hands altho some passes werent that great to him.

Davis is going to make us better. Ilke what i saw from his limited play. Liked what i saw from Floyd even tho he dropped a pass. Its preseason so i expect that to get better.

Dont know what it is about Jackson. He played ok but a penalty and a fumble is not acceptable while only playing two series.

What can i say about my boy Rivers. Sky's the limit.

McCree looked bad. Hope he doesnt make a habit of that kind of coverage.

Oliver was OK....clearly needs some reps and time to get the system in his head. But for only being here two weeks with no minicamps and getting into shape, he was ok. I expect him to get better.

27. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    weddle looked like he did at utah thats for sure,he is going to be a play maker

28. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    As much as I agree with RtL that the preseason is largely a glorified try-out I think you can form some opinions about the first string players. I thought Jammer played alright and I certianly agree that McCree is at fault for giving up the touchdown. QJ was only a step away from deflecting the pass even though Branch wasn't even in his zone anymore.

And I have to be a little critical of Rivers' inability to pick up the blitz and get rid of the ball. There were at least two sacks where guys were coming straight at him and he just ate it. I'm not saying I want him throwing the ball to the other guys. But theses weren't blindside blitzes. He had guys coming straight at it and neither found his outlet nor threw it away. This is the only regular criticism I've read about Rivers and I'm not sure that we're seeing any progress yet.

29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I wouldn't worry too much. The Chargers spent all of one day preparing for the seahags. The rest of camp they've been playing against a 3-4 scheme. Most of the problems I saw were the result of timing and miscommunication. Those things improve with repetition. It's not like the Hags physically manhandled us or anything.

30. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The one player from last years PS who I was coveting was Tyronne Gross. When you guys see more of him more posters will be saying "hmmmm". The brother caught my eye with his moves and speed last year.

I likey. :yes: