1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Draft Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Chaincrusher, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Okay, there has been a lot of talk about which players we think the Chargers should take with their draft picks this year.

But now, with the draft only being two days away, which players do you guys think we will actually take in this year's draft?

Things are much more interesting this year because in 2013 and 2014 I think everyone knew that we were going to take an OL player and a CB, respectively. This year is much more of a mystery.

I will begin with who I think we will take in the first round of this year's draft Thursday evening.

With the 17th pick in this year's draft, the San Diego Chargers select:

ALVIN "BUD" DUPREE, OLB, KENTUCKY

Of course, my first preference is for us to take Shelton, but I agree with those that say that there is no chance of that happening.

I have read a lot of people thinking that M. Brown would be best for us. If he can play as a zero technique NT, I think these people could be right, but I just do not see Telesco giving the priority of a first round pick to the DL. Because of this, I can't make Brown any better than the third most likely candidate.

I think the second most likely candidate would be Melvin Gordon. Presumably having dropped Mathews because of a perceived injury history, I can't imagine us turning around and taking Gurley.

I went with Dupree because he is likely Telesco's BPA at #17 with unique physical skills/greatest upside not likely to be captured later in the draft at a position of need, is noted to be of high character with good leadership traits on and off the field, and is a player that team representatives spent time with leading up to the draft.

Who do you guys think we will take?

2. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Personally I think Dupree won't last until 17, especially when you consider Shane Ray's falling stock, Randy Gregory's falling stock, this essentially makes Dupree only behind Fowler & Beasley. Could see him go top 10 IMO.

I don't see Gurley lasting until 17, but Melvin Gordon will likely be there. I'm not such a fan of his, but there's a good chance we pick him.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Melvin Gordon

Now to mix it up, here are some predictions:

The Chargers are going to Draft one player from an Indiana college this year (Indiana, Notre Dame, purdue)

Barring a trade back to acquire more picks, with the 6 the Chargers currently have, 4 out of 6 will be offensive players

The Chargers are drafting a TE even though its a not so great class

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    RB, DE/DT, OG/OT and WR in the first four rounds in whichever order you want, then in the 5th that LB from North Dakota State or someplace like that

5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I predict there will be 6 trades in the first round alone this year.

I predict Kevin White will be the first WR taken.

I predict Marcus Mariota does not go #2, nor does he go top 5.

I predict the chargers stand pat at #17 but pick someone that no one sees coming because they are too hard to pass up.

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    The Chargers trade up with the Dolphins and draft Todd Gurley. Dejan Vu 2010

7. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    With this draft class the chargers more than likely will take someone of great value. But might not be a position of need.
    Of all the lbs in this years draft, none of which I particularly like. But if bud Dupree falls to us, we'll take him.
    Tho the shocker I think well take will be Melvin Gordon, a good runner, agile and can give the chargers more depth and danger out of the backfield.

IMO at 17 we should take a dline prospects, I would take malcom brown, but only because Danny Shelton isn't the player be think. He's your typical hype player before the draft, he struggled against good competition but he could dominant weak schools with little players nobody really knew about. He will be a busy.
    In the 2nd round barring we go dline, a wr or cb would be on the board for us. It only makes sense

8. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I doubt it that the Chargers would give the Dolphins, a team which has the proclivity to kick their arses up and down the field and the team which they will also be playing in 2015, any more fire power to embarrass them again at the Q this time around.

For their own sake, I hope not anyway!

9. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    As much as I wanna say DL will/should be the pick, my gut tells me its gonna be Melvin Gordon. I agree with Chaincrusher in that the Chargers just don't seem to value DL, and for that matter OL, high in the draft. I have Fowler, Dupree and Beasley all gone by our pick and don't believe we'd be interested in Ray or Gregory so that DQ's OLB for me. I also think Cooper, White, Parker and Gurley will all be off the board as well. It really would not surprise me if we went offense in the first 3 rounds (RB/WR/OL) and try to adopt the Dallas model of dominating on offense and keeping the defense off the field. I think TT still covets a speedy WR and could go that direction if the right player is available (Lockett/Devin Smith), heck I wouldn't even rule out a trade up if somehow Dorsett got to striking range. Then I think we finish off the OL in the 3rd. Before you blow me up, think about how potent this offense would be if it looked like this

QB - Rivers
    RB - Gordon/Woodhead/Oliver/Brown
    WR - Allen/Floyd/Johnson/(Lockett,Smith,Dorsett)
    TE - Gates/Green

Thats pretty potent offense right there. And lets be real, we're not gonna plug all of our holes in 6 picks in the draft. Might as well go ahead and dominate on one side of the ball at least, control the ball and keep the defense off the field as much as possible. Plus it gives Rivers some new toys to play with and might facilitate a trade

• Like Like x 1
  10. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +375
    I hope you don't believe that winless streak nonsense. 2015 Chargers are 0-0 against the Dolphins and everyone else.

Having a back like Gurley will help us against them especially since they have Suh now. It's the Steelers road game I'm afraid of (yeah I know it's at the Q)

11. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I don't believe in streaks but I do believe in certain teams having certain team's numbers, because of the mismatches. The Dolphins even give the Patriots fits at times. With that said, I have been advocating for a big and physical bruising RB who can also block. Such a RB will help both Rivers and the OL tremendously. If it is not going to be Gurley (doubt if he will be there at # 17) then maybe Gordon. I am firmly in the "need" camp rather than BPA camp as we do not have that luxury.

12. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    With only 6 chances, its hard for me to see any scenario where the Chargers trade up and lose any of those slots. I would expect TT to balance the best players available at his positions of greatest need against what his draft board shows to be the likely 2nd round players available at those positions. So, if the best RB available is only slightly better than the best RB at the second pick, but the DL is significantly better than the best DL at the second pick - then I would expect him to pick the DL in the first. The hardest question is what does the team see as their positions of greatest need?

13. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I think you guys could be right about Dupree not making it to #17. With Ray's and Gregory's stock falling and some never being truly sold on Beasley as a top 16 guy, Dupree could be as high as the #2 OLB on some boards. I am hoping teams will see him as really athletic, but lacking in refined technique and therefore not worthy of a top 16 pick from which they would hope for an immediate producer.

It seems like the prevailing mood out there is that we are going to take Gordon. At least he is in my round 1 group of 4 (Shelton, Dupree, Peat, Gordon). Unfortunately, he is 4th in my group of 4.

The more I think about it, the more I hope we steer clear of Gurley. He has lots of potential, but a recently torn ACL is one injury I would steer clear of when selecting the team's first round pick.

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Appearing on SportsCenter Thursday, ESPN's Jim Trotter said to "bet the farm" that Philip Rivers will stay with the Chargers.

Both Trotter and Adam Schefter have reported a Rivers trade is no longer on the table. Per Trotter, the Chargers' focus has shifted toward upgrading their "team speed" on defense. Trotter did allow for the possibility of San Diego using the No. 17 overall pick on either Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I have this really terrible feeling that Shane Ray is going to fall to us, and we're going to stupidly take him

16. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    If this is true, at least regarding the first round, it worries me. "Team speed" on defense doesn't sound like DL or OL to me. I'm not high on Ray or Gregory and I highly doubt Dupree makes it to us now. I think they like Shaq Thompson, but at 17 thats a little too rich for me. I still think its Gordon if we stay at 17, then maybe Thompson/Harold/Alexander in the second. I'd really hate to see it be Damarious Randall or Byron Jones. Those late riser guys scare the crap out of me

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It's WAY too rich for me, and I think a bad fit, and I think too early to give up on Butler before he has a competent D-line in front of him.

I can't imagine us going SS either, I would be annoyed if we took Landon Collins, and it's still too early for Randall (who I prefer).

18. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    Maybe they're thinking the speed will improve if we actually have some competent DL in front of the linebackers? I start getting paranoid right about now thinking Goodell is gonna say "Craig Davis" or "Larry English". Another thing to worry about is if Beasley makes his way into the teens and TT pulls out the trade up. Not that I don't like Beasley, I just don't think it would be smart to give up a pick, particularly a high one, this year

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I heard they'd take Gurley if he was there at 17 but people suggest not Gordon

20. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    No to Beasley please, he's a clemson boy and I loved him at clemson. But running fast isn't gonna get many sacks in the nfl. He doesn't use his hands he just runs around who ever is trying to block him. I rather take Gordon over him. No olb in the first. Please

21. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +375
    Gordon is getting way less credit than he deserves. While he may not have the top end speed. I would bet he has more 40+ yard runs, his acceleration and masterful balanced track strides make him appealing. Unless Gurley is off the board and Kevin White is too, he'd be my pick.

22. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    I think I'm done talking about it I'll leave it at this
    If it's Oline I want in order
    Scherff
    Erving
    Flowers
    Humphries
    I'll pass on Peat/Clemmimgs

If it's Dline
    Brown
    Goldman
    I'll pass on Shelton/Armstead
    I'm ok with Bud Dupree if he somehow fell
    I'm also ok with Gurley or Gordon. Would like to come away with one of these guys.

23. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'm pretty confident there won't be a Larry Ingles surprise tonight.

24. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Thoughts on La'el Collins since the word seems to be that he may not even get drafted now until his investigation is done... So say he falls to the 7th round (obviously we dont have a 7th this year), but if we could acquire one for little to nothing to be able to have his rights, what would your thoughts on that be?

Obviously his situation is serious and I dont know the details outside of what's been stated in the media, but if we could own his rights rather than try to sign him if his name gets cleared, I would think thats one hell of a steal. Obviously if he name doesnt get cleared, it becomes a wasted pick, but who cares if all we lose is a 7th. Did he have prior red flags before this came up?

25. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    I'd take him, he's not a suspect he's being interviewed because he knew the woman, so if he fall to the 6th I'd have the pick in before goodell could finish the previous pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    I would have taken Laura Ingles instead of who we got...fairly certain she sacked Nelly Olsen a few times

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  27. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    I just listened to an interview with this guy on Sirius XM last week. Sounded like a bright, well articulated young man. Comes from a good family, I find it hard to believe he's involved in this. Obviously I don't know him personally so I couldn't say for sure, but I was very impressed with his knowledge of the game and how he spoke. Seemed like a good young man. My only problem is when this came out, if he is totally innocent, he should have boarded a plane with an agent and lawyer, went straight to the police station and talked to the cops and cleared his name. Isn't that what you would do? As of now he's not scheduled to speak with police until Saturday, why the wait?

28. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Well I was thinking 5th or 6th but if he's not being drafted at all, that's why I said 7th. But I would be totally in on drafting him.