1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Dynamic Duo - Weddle & Sanders

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Weddle, Sanders a safe bet for Chargers
    By Bill Williamson

The two men the San Diego Chargers chose to anchor their defense in 2011 spent their post-lockout time essentially living together.

Eric Weddle, fresh from signing a $40 million dollar contract that kept him in San Diego, was in charge of getting former NFL Defensive Player of the Year Bob Sanders up to speed in the Chargers’ scheme.

“From the moment the lockout ended, we were studying and talking,” Weddle said. “It just wasn’t on the field. It was at breakfast, lunch, dinner. We’d study in the cold tub. We’d stay here to 1 in the morning, talking and getting comfortable with each other. We know how important it is.”

And the extra time spent together has paid off.

“It feels like we’ve been playing together for three or four years,” Weddle said.

The Chargers think their safeties can be among the best in the NFL and can lead them on a deep run in the playoffs. So far, so good. Weddle and Sanders looked to be on the same page as the defense took over in the second half of Week 1, when the Chargers outscored the Minnesota Vikings 17-0 on their way to a 24-17 win.

The two safeties will be paramount for San Diego in a critical AFC matchup at New England on Sunday. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is coming off a 517-yard passing performance at Miami in which his tight ends terrorized the Dolphins' safeties. Weddle and Sanders will be in charge of slowing down that attack this week.

Weddle, 26, and Sanders, 30, are an interesting combination. Both are undersized, intelligent leaders. The players are at completely different phases of their careers, yet both men are in prove-it mode in 2011.

Weddle, a 5-foot-11, 200-pound fifth-year pro, is out to prove that he was worth the monster deal that San Diego re-signed him to early in free agency. Sanders, a 5-8, 206-pound ball of dynamite, signed a short-term deal with the Chargers, wanting to prove he can still play in the league. Sanders, who earned the NFL’s top defensive honor in the 2007 season with Indianapolis, played a total of nine games in the past three seasons with the Colts, who finally gave up on him last winter.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, a longtime fan of the relentless Sanders, agreed to terms with Sanders on the eve of the lockout. The deal was finalized right after the lockout ended. Smith envisioned a Weddle-Sanders safety tandem for some time. Some in league circles thought the addition of Sanders meant the Chargers were prepared to move on without Weddle. But this was a package deal.

It’s earning rave reviews.

“Sanders and Weddle is a perfect safety combination,” Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. said. “They’re really going to make a difference for the Chargers.”

Safety play is predicated on emotion and desire. The Chargers are benefiting from the fire that burns in each player.

Sanders is bent on proving he is not a fragile former good player.

“I hope my run of bad luck is done,” Sanders said.

Indeed, Sanders is due for some good fortune. In 2008, Sanders was hampered by ankle and knee issues. In 2009, he suffered an arm injury that scuttled his season after the second game. Last year, Sanders suffered a biceps injury in the first game and was out for the season. Sanders believes it’s important to note that he has been the victim of a string of fluky injuries and there are no real structural problems.

His teammates have raved that Sanders looks like he's in his Colts’ heyday. Chargers coach Norv Turner said Sanders flies around the practice field like a “bullet.”

The Chargers know they have a special player in their midst.

“When you played Indianapolis, you always had go find No. 21 and go block him,” San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers said. “It’s good to have him on our side.”

Smith said he has no doubt Sanders will revert to his pre-injury days if he stays on the field.

“All I wish for Bob Sanders is health,” Smith said. “Best of health, Bob. That’s all he needs.”

While Sanders’ season is centered on staying out of the trainer’s room, Weddle’s is about his living up to his beefed-up bank account.

“I know a lot will be expected from me because of this deal,” said Weddle, who is known for his ability to stop the run and making timely interceptions. “That’s fine. That’s part of it.”

In the end, Sanders and Weddle are in it together as they begin their partnership.

“I want Bob to be great and he wants me to be great,” Weddle said. “Because if we are both great, it will only benefit this team.”

• Like Like x 2
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I have and still like this Killer Kombo. All weddle has needed for years is that assassin Safety so he can be FREE to roam and make plays.

3. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    It's great to see these two complimenting each other. Hopefully they can punch some teams in the mouth most importantly the big teams we play this year, and even those little teams in between.

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Spikes and Sanders.
    Weddle's useful, but overrated.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You never provide any proof. Just opinions stated as fact. What part of Weddle's game is overrated?

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Are you aware that the same argument applies to all posters, including you?

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Hey that's not true I give my factual reasons why I think norv is what he is....but that's besides the point.

Weddle needs to do better he was getting beat a lot last game. AP ran him over on that one long run he had. Though I do like he's game all around.

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    All gradients, unless you break his coaching moves down by video, we'll have to take your word for it ;)

I agree with your take on Weddle. I just don't think he'll get much better. Or worse. I think he'll show us what we've seen. But I will make a break from the regular internet postings and admit that I could be wrong--it's possible he'll improve or not.

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    No, I'm not aware of that. Some posters actually use facts to support their assertions. Others don't. Sometimes I'll offer an opinion without anything to back it up. But usually I will try to support my argument with SOMETHING. You should try it sometime. I know that you are aware of your own genius, but not all of us are. So perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us by explaining your extraordinary thought processes.

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Look up pot and kettle.

Let me lay it out for you: you come off as arrogant as much as you like to throw it around. Also, you're a homer. And therefore boring.
    But I suspect you're a teenager, so one day you'll actually develop an ability to think for yourself instead of regurgitating mindless internet crap.

How's that for arrogance? ;)

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sanders has a lot of experience playing against the Pats. I think it will pay off this week.

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Mindless internet crap like what? Your posts are completely free of content except for your own unfounded proclamations. They add nothing to the discussion. If you want to call a player like Weddle overrated, why not elaborate? It's more interesting if you post more than 5 words on a subject.

13. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and how many backs has AP ran over in his carrer?

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    WOW!!!

For someone that has only been around here for a few months, you are going off on someone that has been around here for years!!!

Since when were you anointed the grand poohba

16. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Geez...and I get labeled, "troll."

17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    A lot would be a guess. I remember a few years ago when he destroyed a browns player. Though he has done us bad in our last meeting.

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Oh I thought u meant this play where he Literaly put his foot down on defenders.

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I have a hard time blaming Weddle for the play on AP. It was a tough open field tackle and AP shook him loose. That's why he's the best back in the league.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Never. But I'm free to post what I like, no?
    (Sorry to huck the internet high school hierarchy under the bus, but I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to kissing arse).

21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Really? So you're the controller of who posts what and why?
    C'mon bsbb, I think you're smarter than that.

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    In b4 conc...

Oh wait! :oops:

23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Sorry, just doing my usual making friends and influencing people thing :D

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am taking notes too... I have been told I need to improve my game... ;) :roflmao:

25. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    True.
    When are we gonna have another Twitter War, btw?

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I think it was scheduled for November... However, I hear it may be blacked out due to NFL television policy...

27. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    We've got time to sell those tickets, don't give up yet!

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    So yeah, that must have been the worst game I've seen from those two period. I do not want to hear about them being or even thinking of themselves as the best safety duo in the league. Put up and then you can talk, until then, those two can shut up

• Like Like x 1
  29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    AJ thinks they're GRRRRRRRREAAAAATTTTTT!!! Just look at Weddle's new contract.

Keep defending this builder of champions.

All the way to LA.

30. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I hope it was an aberration but Weddle was worse that awful last night. The guy looked lost and dispirited. He better get his act together and show us why he is worth 40m. He was a disgrace. And Sanders while not as bad needs to improve also. Best safety combo in the league my ***.