1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The emergence of Kory Sperry

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    CHARGERS NOTES: Sperry becoming a complete tight end
    By SCOTT BAIR sbair@nctimes.com | Posted: Monday, August 8, 2011 6:18 pm

SAN DIEGO — Kory Sperry knows an opportunity when he sees one. The release of Kris Wilson in late July leaves the Chargers without a No. 3 tight end and has opened the door for the 26-year-old from Colorado State.

While keeping his focus on the present, Sperry also realizes that a quality training camp can cement his place on the roster and give him an active role on the team. All indications are that he's off to a good start.

He has made several solid catches early in camp, but then Sperry has always been a strong receiver, as evidenced by a series of clutch plays after he was activated from the practice squad in Week 7 last season. It's the blocking and special teams play that has put Sperry in higher regard among his coaches and teammates.

"Kory has been working his butt off this whole offseason and has been maturing into the tight end I know he's capable of being," starting tight end Antonio Gates said. "I try to give him as much as I can, but he's becoming a phenomenal football player. He's become a much better blocker over time, which has helped him become more of a complete tight end. It's been great to see his growth. I'm excited to have him around, because he brings a lot to the table."

Sperry has been working on all facets of his game. He put on weight during the offseason, making him stronger without losing speed. He's focused on special teams and the blocking demands necessary when Gates plays the role of pass-catching tight end.

"When you're that big and you can get on to people, you can block them," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "He was a good blocker last year, but we're trying to get him to stay lower and continue to be more physical. He's responded well to it."

The Chargers have plans for a player signed as a college free agent and released before going to Miami in 2009. He came back without the promise of playing time. He didn't fight a move to the practice squad. He simply worked hard and tried to earn the playing time he's likely to receive this season.

"Coming back to San Diego was the right choice," Sperry said. "I know the guys and the offense, which is friendly to tight ends. You have to block, and I'm fine with that. There are plenty of opportunities to be productive in the offense. It's a good fit."

Extension granted
    The preseason opener against Seattle on Thursday is not officially blacked out. The Chargers received a 24-hour extension to sell the remaining 3,700 tickets, which seems increasingly likely. The NFL rarely grants extensions to teams with no chance of selling the game out.

The game is being televised nationally on ESPN and simulcast locally on KFMB. If blacked out, it won't be shown live in the San Diego, Los Angeles and Palm Springs markets, but it will be aired on tape delay in San Diego on KFMB shortly after the game ends.

The sales push has resulted from a promotion whereby fans can buy single-game tickets for the Nov. 6 game against Green Bay if they purchase tickets for the Seattle game.

Et cetera
    The Chargers held an afternoon practice in full pads on Monday afternoon. QB Philip Rivers and WRMalcom Floyd performed well, showing that they haven't lost the timing they had last season. Several players were held out of practice, including TE Antonio Gates, RB Ryan Mathews, LT Marcus McNeill, WR Vincent Brown and OLB Antwan Barnes. ... The team will be limited in its preparation for Thursday's exhibition against Seattle. "I'm more concerned about us than formulating a true game plan," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "We want to keep the training camp mindset. They'll do some things to get ready for the game, but we want to keep our focus inward right now."

2. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    No joke, most impressive guy at the practice I went to last Wednesday night.

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I thought Sperry was the one I read was Norvs choice for most improved over the Off Season.

Aug. 02, 2011 11:17 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - TE Sperry candidate for most improved
    TE Kory Sperry was identified as one of the team's most improved players by coach Norv Turner. Sperry attributes his improvement to the hard work and time he spent with teammates offseason organized by QB Philip Rivers. "The comradery has helped to," Sperry said. "Last year, I came in late. I didn’t really have a personal relationship with anybody." Chargers RapidReports

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Glad to hear this. There's really no way to know for certain what is going to happen with Gates' foot.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Maybe he can be a Kevin Boss type guy for us, which would be F'n great considering Gates' foot.

6. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Came away from the 2011 draft seriously pissed that we hadn't taken a blocking TE - who knew that Sperry had beefed up, stepped up his game, and that we already had my guy on the roster? Way better than Wilson <spit>

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    How much weight did this kid put on? He was listed at 6'5" 244, 15lbs would make him scary to go after if one is a defensive back.

8. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I've heard both 10 and 20 lbs of muscle - regardless, its his elevated PLAY, especially in blocking and special teams that has grabbed folk's attention. I'll sure be looking for it on Thursday, but since I won't be at the stadium am at the mercy of CBS and whatever reports we can glean out of fans/writers. He impressed Thunderstruck at a couple of the open practices, and that ain't easy to do. :cool:

He has impressed Scott up at NCTimes as a receiver too - but we already knew he was pretty good at that roll - needed a BLOCKING TE:

NCTchargers Scott Bair
    Kory Sperry catches everything.

17 minutes ago

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Good hands already and learning the position from Gates and McMichael, guy could be a beast in no time

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Twenty pounds of muscle on him would be one hell of a blocker coming around the end at full speed or just down field.