1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The end of LT in San Diego....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    What a horrible way to end his time in San Diego, or perhaps his career....

Attached Files:

2. Vardog

Vardog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I think he'll be back for one more shot. He ran hard this season compared to last, but the holes just weren't there for him. He ran good off-tackle, but could get anywhere up the middle. Anyway you look at it, he's a class act like Barry Sanders and I would like to see back on the field.

Here's a curious question, do you think he'd play on another team or retire if the Chargers let him go?

3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    How bad would he feel if we win it next year, and he is retired, or on another team. I would feel a little bad for him, after he gave everything to the team, and is going to the HOF.

Honestly, I hope he returns for his 10th season in a backup role.

Young rookie stud
    LT
    Tolbert as the FB coming out of the backfield when not blocking.
    and Sproles and the 3rd down back/kick returner.

Hester can stay on ST.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I love LT but he doesn't have it anymore, he's average now, how many time have we heard "he's close to breaking one", well, in the past he broke a lot of those, now, none, always tripped, always oh so close.

In a perfect world I would like him back and have him run for 1,200 yds and 15 tds but it's not going to happen, he's to expensive for his production, I'd rather have a rookie RB and have him as a backup/3rd down guy, although Sproles is better at that role.

So I guess as of right now, I hope he retires, worst case scenario he goes to another team and stumbles around trying to get a record

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hope that he retires a Charger & gets on with life being a father.

If he goes to another team & they're playing against us, he'll just be another guy in an opposing uni.

Five years after he retires I'll go see him get inducted at Canton.

And tomorrow the sun will rise, just as it did yesterday & today.

6. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I think a lot of it has to do with Sproles, if Sproles stays then maybe LT goes, but if Darren goes then they cna hardly put the load all on a rook next year, so maybe they give LT a pay cut and split carries between him and a rookie which could help the rookie's development.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    LT is signed and if not mistaken he has a roster bonus coming due in March??? if so we'll know soon enough.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think it all has to do with how much we're planning on paying Vjack and McNeil.

Also Cromartie and Gates are in upcomming contract years.

9. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Are you serious? Cromartie? If we can get a draft pick for him great! If not, cut him and get on with Cason.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    LT's time is up in SD.

He's no longer part of the solution because he cannot produce the numbers we need.

It was a generous thing that Spanos did by bringing him back and giving him a shot at redemption. It didn't work out. So be it.

We are in the midst of watching the greatest QB to ever wear a Chargers uni. Yes, he is.

It's time to focus on supplementing Philip's arsenal with the best possible backfield weapons available. LT is not one of them.

So long LT. :bolt:

11. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Being such a family orientated guy...I'm sure that LT will retire if he can't come to an arrangement with the Chargers.

I reduced role at the Chargers next year, might actually suit him if he wants to be invloved with his new family early!

The Chargers would do well to keep LT around even with his huge drop in production. His guidence to younger players and his leadership qualities...plus hes a great character guy anyway, could only give positive outlook to the rest of the team!

12. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    I agree completely that he is 1) The greatest RB ever to don a Charger uniform; 2) A stand-up guy who has led by example and does great things in the community; and 3) a good mentor to the younger players on this team.

However, economic reality is such that we have bills coming due on guys who are expected to be the core of this team for the next five-plus years, which will be far longer than LT can go on. We can ill afford to keep someone around who is unable to produce at the risk of not being able to sign other, more valuable players.

Many a team has set themselves back several years using this mindset -- the Cowboys of the mid-80's, the Redskins of the mid-90's and now the Bucs spring immediately to mind.

Unforutunately, I think LT is at the end of the line, and the team needs to move on. Doesn't diminish anything he's done.

And yes, I will plan to go to Canton for his enshrinement in the Hall of Fame.

PS -- Welcome to the board! :icon_toast:

13. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    LT is a great character guy... but I seriously question his leadership ability. He's a lead by example leader... that's going to be hard to do from the bench.

14. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

You can question it, but no one on the team is.

But, I just wanted to say thank you to Norv. Done a great job with LT. It's been a lot of fun watching this running game improve over the last few years.