1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Film Don't Lie: Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The Film Don't Lie: Chargers

By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com
    SAN DIEGO -- A weekly look at what the San Diego Chargers must fix:

When the Chargers host the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, defensive coordinator John Pagano will try to dial up enough pressure to record a sack for the first time in two weeks.

The Chargers finished without a sack or quarterback in hit in a 31-28 win against the Oakland Raiders. Up until that point, San Diego had totaled 12 sacks through five games.

[​IMG]

San Diego’s leading sack man, Dwight Freeney, has not recorded a sack since Week 3 against Buffalo. Only four of San Diego’s sacks have occurred on third down, which is tied for No. 14 in the NFL.

Chargers coach Mike McCoy said his defense did a better job of creating pressure against the Raiders when it mattered most: in the fourth quarter. Jeremiah Attaochu had a strip-sack against Oakland QB Derek Carr that was negated due to a face mask penalty. And Eric Weddle also got pressure on a blitz that forced a punt.

“The important thing is we won and we made plays when we had to,” McCoy said. “The three-and-out was big. We got pressure there [Weddle’s blitz], so he threw it away and we got the intentional grounding call. That’s all part of it.

“The first three quarters was not our best defensively. We’re not making any excuses about it.”

The addition of a healthy Attaochu and Cordarro Law should help ignite San Diego’s pass rush. Attaochu missed two weeks with a hamstring injury before the Oakland game but played 33 snaps vs. the Raiders. And Law did not play against the Raiders because of an ankle injury.

Having both Attaochu and Law healthy against the Chiefs, along with Freeney, will give Pagano more options to bring pressure off the edge of the defense.

2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    We can't afford another defensive performance like last week, that's for sure!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    It's a little hard for me to wrap my head around people calling the Chargers' defense
    "...one of the best in the league" :confused: though I want so much to buy in...

But then my mind wanders to the legends of the game:
    Unitas! Montana! Marino! Fouts! Brady! Moon! Elway! Bortles! Carr... :)

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    lol they've played well against who they were scheduled against. If you continue to preform bad like last week, you can do your backflip dance and scream "I told you so" later. Until then they are ranked where they are, so deal with it.

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Dude, either you're still misunderstanding...or...well...I just don't get what's making
    you so ugly about this. Where do you get this "backflip dance" nonsense?
    Why would you think for a minute that someone who has faithfully followed this team
    longer than you have would want them to fail? It's just baseless and stupid.

My point was that it was hard to reconcile making newbies like Bortles and Carr look like HoF'ers,
    while being called one of the best defenses in the league. Again, if you really want to get hysterical
    about an observation like that, then please, put me on "Ignore" and stop whining.

6. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Sacks might be a stat that has changed overall league wide these days. Does anybody have those numbers?
    With all the QB's these days that run around behind the LOS I think when you get pressure on them and force them to throw it away or scramble into a bad decision or incompletion, the job is done. Is it great to plant the QB on his back? Yes but I'll settle for 3 and out any way we get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I wouldn't say we made Bortles look like a hall of famer. We made him look like a starting calibur QB for one half.

Carr, on the other hand, did look great against our D.

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Hadn't you heard?....... he's the next Andrew Luck. ;)

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Well, obviously I was going for a cheap laugh, putting Bortles and Carr in with Unitas and Montana,
    but they really did do much better than newbies should...especially against an "elite" D.

I'm always going on about how much easier passing stats are to pile up today than when say,
    Fouts/Joiner played--so I don't think anyone will take my next comment too seriously,
    but freakin' Carr had a passer rating of 107.7 against us...Elway's best season he was 93.0,
    and career he was 79.9. :eek: Oh, how the rules have changed.

Also, I'm of course delighted that the Chargers have only turned the ball over twice in six games (!!!)...:D
    but, is it my imagination, or are we seeing less INTs across the league this year? (even just compared to '13...Eli, for example threw an INT every 20 attempts last year, this year, every 38.4)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    FWIW I'm not ready to call our D elite for many of the reasons you seem hesitent to even call them good.

But, Raiders game and 1st half against Jax aside, they've been handling their business against who they've been scheduled to handle it against.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Well, I've merely noted the odd fit of words like "one of the best defenses" and "elite"...with some of the stats.
    I'm not at all "hesitant to even call them good." They've been much better than last year, and early expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    And here I am with my "show me state" mentality: I'm not even sure (yet) that
    Andrew Luck is the next Andrew Luck!

Yes, he's shown a lot of ability, but I still need to see more.

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    What is the current ranking for the Bolts defense?

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Bolts defense shouldn't even be in the same sentence with the word unless it's that they strive to be an "elite" defense.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    #3 behind 9'ers and Lions.

#4 in pass defense
    #9 in rush defense
    #2 in points per game allowed

• Like Like x 1
  16. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    Right now with their injuries they aren't as good as they were in weeks 1-2. But with Ingram and a healthy Freeney and Teo I thought they were looking better than they have in years, add Verret and Flowers to the mix and you have the recipe for a bad day for the opposing OC. But right now the only thing I care about for the bolts D is the most important stat of all, that they allow fewer points than we score.

17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    It beats being 31st, as in last year's defense...

• Like Like x 1